Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lynne Thigpen has died

Thigpen died Wednesday night in her Los Angeles home. She had been in good health and the cause of death was not immediately known, network spokeswoman Beth Haiken said Thursday.

Production was shut down on "The District," which stars Craig T. Nelson as Washington, D.C., police Chief Jack Mannion. Thigpen played Mannion's secretary, Ella Farmer.

"I'm in shock. She was a wonderful actress and a friend," Nelson said in a statement.

"The beauty, compassion and talent that you saw on the screen was not just superb acting, it was the very essence of this wonderful woman," said John Wirth, the drama's executive producer. "We will miss her terribly."

Haiken said the 20th episode was in production this week; two more episodes were planned for the season. She said no decision had been made about how Thigpen's death would be dealt with on the show.

Thigpen, who was born and raised in Joliet, Illinois, and made her home in New York, had a distinguished stage career and also worked steadily in films and television.

In 1997, she received the Tony Award for best supporting actress for her role as a black Jewish feminist in Wendy Wasserstein's play "An American Daughter."

Thigpen re-created the role in the 2000 TV movie version of the play.

She also was nominated for a Tony for her role in "Tintypes," and won Obie Awards for "Jar the Floor" and "Boesman and Lena."

On TV, she portrayed the chief in the PBS series "Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?" and "Where in Time Is Carmen Sandiego?" She also appeared in the series "thirtysomething" and "L.A. Law" and the Hallmark Hall of Fame presentations of "Night Ride Home" and "The Boys Next Door."

Her film credits include "The Insider," "Shaft," "Random Hearts," "Lean on Me," "Tootsie" and the recently released "Anger Management."
    Lynne Thigpen Dead at 54

I'm not sure what to say. I've seen her on various shows, but I think I'll always remember her as the woman off of that PBS gameshow Carmen San Diego.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Nothing listed in the article range a bell until you mentioned Carmen San Diego. Remember that awful musical group they had, Rockapella?
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Yeah, the theme they always sang just popped into my head.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I remembered her as the b*tch mom who gets Morgan Freeman's Joe Clark in so much trouble in Lean on Me. Man I hated that character. But then, that was the point.

What a talented actress. She will be missed.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Where on earth is Carmen Sandiego? Carmen Sandiego. Where on earth could she be?

May you finally catch her from beyond the grave.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Yea I remeber her now.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Wow, this was a shocker to me as well. I knew immediately who she was from Carmen Sandiego but also from other stuff like Law & Order as well, as an actor she really got around. What a tragedy.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    Wow, this was a shocker to me as well. I knew immediately who she was from Carmen Sandiego but also from other stuff like Law & Order as well, as an actor she really got around. What a tragedy.
    I think you have her confused with someone else, JT. Are you thinking of the NYPD lieutenant over Jerry Orbach and Jesse Martin's characters? That actress is S. Epatha Merkerson. Or maybe you're thinking of LA Law. She was in that show as a DA.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

No, I'm not confused. Lynne Thigpen played a judge on L&O several times.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I didn't even know who she was until I just looked at the picture. And I was just watching Law and Order too. I thought she was a good actress. She will be missed.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten