Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    IIRC, a few years ago, SFC (Sci-Fi Channel) took over airing the Fox sci-fi show "Sliders" that had been on Fox for 3 years. During SFC's 2nd original season (season 5), they lost the star of the series and replaced him with another actor - causing them to believe that ratings would go down, so they cancelled the show and invested the money that would have gone into Slider's 6th season towards an untested, muppet-based sci-fi series "Farscape". Farscape picked up viewers fairly quickly after it premiered but to SFC's shock, Sliders had actually GAINED viewers rather than losing them. Faithful viewers gave SFC an earful about their show being cancelled for - as I once heard it described - "this muppety crap", but Farscape had already been signed to a full season and ratings were doing well for it. SFC said Sliders might have a possible 6th season a year later if they can scrape up money, but that never happened.

Not long after this, less than a year and a half, SFC had a management change - USA still owned 'em, but they brought in new folks to run the channel differently. At first, this new management promised to be more understanding of the audiences' needs and nurturing of developing shows; they even produced several popular new series while signing current SFC shows Lexx and Farscape to more years beyond the following season. However, when one of the SFC original shows was in threat of being cancelled (I think it was Lexx or Invisible Man), news surfaced that SFC's parent company USA Networks wanted to throw out the entire sci-fi theme of the channel and use the existing channel to make "The Action Network", basically recycling USA's action film library and creating a handful of cheap, original, expendable action shows. SFC assured everybody that this was not the case... Then the cancelled Lexx after even paying for part of another season they were contractually obligated to; they followed this by cancelling series after series until the only SFC original show left was Farscape.

Farscape has some great action, but is most definitely more sci-fi than anything else. This obviously wouldn't fit in with the Action Network concept well - SFC made promises they didn't keep specifically to get the very vocal and growing fan base from pulling a "3rd season of Star Trek" (FYI, NBC cancelled the original Trek after season 2 in the late '60s which meant they didn't have enough episodes to sell into rerun syndication; a major fan of the series - Bjo Trumble - started a campaign to organized other fans to write-in to NBC with "Save Trek" letters. NBC was flooded with letters and calls on their switchboard and brought Trek back for 1 last season which got it over the rerun-syndication hump and kept the series alive in the '70s).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JediTricks,

You struck a nerve there with me. I loved Sliders -- At least the first 2 1/2 seasons. The episodes used to be about how an event would change the history of the world they were visiting. And about how they would fit in until their next slide. After John Rhyes-Davies left, the show quickly became "how much sci-fi stuff can we cram in an episode" instead of just how weird alternate universes could be.

I also became addicted to The Invisible Man. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me. It was a nice original concept done well.

I won't go on to say how wonderful and original Farscape was at the beginning. This show redefined the sci-fi genre.

Now we get the likes of Tracker and Tremors: The Series. I lasted one episode of Tracker -- it's bad, REALLY bad. I even like the actor who plays the main baddie, but the show stinks on ice.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

JT,

Thanks for the info, very interesting. Yeah, Scifi used to be great a few years ago, reruns of Star Trek, Quantum Leap, Battlestar Galactica.

It seems they really screwed up their original programming, not really giving their shows a chance. Funny since parent company USA has had success with theirs, ie Monk, Dead Zone, Pacific Blue, Silk Stalkings (laugh at the last two, but they did last).

As for going the "Action Channel" route, it looks like that is on hold for now, at least with the new Battlestar Galactica, etc. I hope anyway.

I bet Battlestar Galactica will be their last big-budget sci-fi series (mini or full).

Zoltar, I know what you mean with Sliders, so many good ideas until they took out the prof and brought in Kari Wuhrer.

I liked I-man from the beginning, something about the way the cast clicked just got me hooked. I was so sorry to see it go, and then Lexx and The Chronicle, it was so sad.

I had heard Tracker was a syndicated show and wasn't a SFC original. Either way, the promos were so bad that they couldn't hook me in to simply set my VCR to tape for an extra hour.

wedgeA, I agree that USA has been doing some good original series, though I never cared for the last 2. I just hope Monk comes back soon, we get lots of new DZs but it's been a while since a new ep with our favorite defective detective came around the bend. I was shocked when Monk was deemed so good that ABC picked it up and was running it as primetime programming.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

** SPOILERS AHOY! **

Wow, what a depressing ending. I'm sure they could reconstitute John and Aeryn a la the '60s Batman movie, but knowing that SFC won't bother letting them it's a downer for me. Then again, why Dargo didn't just send his ship out to defend them struck me as a little odd, though much less than SFC's title card at the end. Nice way to send it out jerkfaces, slap those big ugly on-screen graphics all over the screen after every break for "Scare Tactics" (aka "the show nobody gives a crap about and has nothing to do with sci-fi"), then hog the end title card for yourselves and then let the real credits get obliterated by the mega-squish. With SG1 out until next June, I may just boycott the station altogether.

Farewell Farscape, may your future brighten with time.

I haven't seen the final show yet but I plan to watch it this morning. I found an interesting news paragraph in yesterday’s Atlanta Journal-Constitution business section that may offer a little hope that this show might be saved in some way.

Muppets seen as fit for Disney

Denver-- Walt Disney Co., the second largest U.S. media company, would be better equipped to distribute the Muppets than their current owner, Germany's EM.TV & Merchandising AG, analysts said. Disney Chief Executive Officer Michael Eisner said Wednesday his company may be close to buying Jim Henson Co. from unprofitable children's filmmaker EM.TV. Jim Henson, the creator of Kermit the Frog and Miss Piggy, died in 1990. "It would make sense because Disney is an international brand, and with its television channels has more possibilities than EM.TV to distribute the Muppets," said Marcus Moser, an analyst at GBC in Augsburg, Germany. EM.TV CEO Werner Klatten is selling assets, including the Muppets, to cut debt amassed under former CEO Thomas Haffa.

Does anybody think that this might help at all?
    -¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°
    Who are you?
    Why are you?
    What do you want?

Not really, Hallmark Entertainment and SFC hold a lot of power over the show as I understand it.

I just can not believe that way that it ended on Friday. I was expecting the crew to all get lost in space (even more so) and just go on traveling, but this! This felt like a kick to the head. I was just sitting there with a dumb look on my face (different from the normal one that is usually there). I hope that there is some continuation of this or some sort of better closure in some way or form, but unfortunetly I doubt it.
    This announcement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    "Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 35 years"

I know Jonna, but in a way it was a proper ending. John can never stay happy long, before somthing comes along and screws things. I actually think it was brave of the Farscape gang to stick to their guns and not try to cheat a sappy happy ending for the series finale. And with a planned theatrical movie, possible new TV series, or animated series on the horizon, hopefully it won't be to long before we can found out what's going to happen.

MTFBWy and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    with a planned theatrical movie, possible new TV series, or animated series on the horizon, hopefully it won't be to long before we can found out what's going to happen.
    Has any of this been offically confirmed? Where can I read about it?
    This announcement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    "Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 35 years"