Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Farscape: Series Finale Airs Friday!

Just wanted to give a heads up, for the fans of the show that post here. Farscape will air it's series finale this friday, after four amazing seasons. It's truely been a hell of a ride, with each season being more entertaining and more intresting then the previous one. From reading the plot synopisis, it's a fitting end for the series, though not an entirely happy one.

The cast and crew, had planned on a five year arc for the series. They had already finished filming the season cliffhanger finale for season four, when it came down from Sci-Fi that the series would not be picked up. Even though it had been announced as being on the schedule for a fifth season. Sadly, Sci-Fi was purchased by USA and they are apperantly trying to kill the channel.

This gave the cast and crew, no time to film a final series finale. So what will air, is the original intended season finale. While in the tradition of Farscape, it's a great one...it's also a shocking one. It's really a fitting end for the series, should we never see the crew of Moya again. But, thankfully, the original "To Be Continued" remains at the end, instead of attempting to cheat up an ending.

Infact the only real hint that it's the end, is in John Critchon's opening introduction. We get the "Previously on Farscape" opening, which then shows us flashes of the story arc that ran for the past 87 episodes. And then we hear John state, "And finally, on Farscape." It's a bit sad, in a way. If you want a look ahead at what's in store, I'll post a link at the end of this thread.

But you know what, I'm glad they leave us wanting more. A perfectly tied up happy ending, wouldn't work with Farscape. Hopefully another network, a feature film, or even ADV's idea for a animated series will come to pass. I'm hoping for another network, though chances are slim. Sci-Fi retaining rights to the previous four, is going to make it hard. There's always hope though.

http://www.farscapeworld.com/episode...is/10422.shtml
    http://www.farscapeworld.com/episode...ws/10422.shtml
    http://www.farscapeworld.com/gallery/10422.shtml

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 03-17-2003 at 02:25 AM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I just saw a commercial for that on Sci-Fi. Wow.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

I thought USA has owned SFC for quite a while, they may have even started it, I'm not sure. They changed management about 18 months ago and it all went downhill from there. This is not a good thing the way they trashed this series, and the way they handled it reminds me too much of how NBC killed Trek and then sabotaged it so when another network wanted to buy it, NBC had already destroyed the sets to keep it from happening.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Agreed JT. I thought it was pretty dirty how Sci Fi actually told the cast and crew there wouldn't be a fifth season at the very end of filming for season four. And then told them sets would be destroyed and torn down, a week later. Giving the cast and crew no chance for a proper farewell.

And the real reason it was done, to ensure the fans wouldn't have a decent chnace to get things together for a campaign to try to save it. And for what? Now Sci Fi is investing the money that could have went to Farscape, to finance Tremors: The Series. Seriously, was anyone begging for more Tremors?

I've happy that they are still doing things like "Children of Dune" and "Riverworld". But Farscape was normally their top rated show. The cast and crew were willing to work for less, they just wanted to finish off the story arc. Sci Fi channel sure has gone to hell, since the days of being great.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 03-18-2003 at 02:31 AM.

This has been a heck of a year for my Sci-Fi tv. Losing Firefly on FOX after only 10 episodes and now Farscape, really sucks. It drives me crazy how they greenlight total crap and totally disregard fantastic television. Thanks Bonnie Hamner, you lying sack of ****.
    -`,,``,,``
    Who are you?
    Why are you?
    What do you want?

I especially "loved" how SFC tried to tear down the sets on the anniversary of September 11th just to make sure everybody was distracted. Man, they are such lowlife suits!

Riverworld and CoD were probably both paid for by the time SFC decided they wanted out of the sci-fi game which is why they're hitting so close together. Basically a final liquidation sale, EVERYTHING MUST GO!!! Jerks, what a betrayal of their core mission.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah, I know. That was extremely low class of them. I could understand if Farscape suddenly took a huge nosedive, and the actors and crew were being primadonas. But I've never seen any proof of that from the interviews I've read. It's just shows the Sci-Fi channel's incredible disrespect for the Sci-Fi fans.

Atleast the Jim Henson Company wants to do more for the fans. And so does ADV Films, the company that puts the show on DVD. They are considering financing a animated series. That's cool, I wish Sci-Fi cared as much. Hell, just look at The Jim Henson Company's press release on the series cancellation.
    Farscape is a flagship show for The Jim Henson Company. We are proud of its achievements over the past four years, which have included international critical recognition, three Saturn Awards, and a recent Emmy nomination. As always, your show of support is a true inspiration for our company and has been integral to our success.

Although SCI FI Channel has chosen not to pick up a fifth season, The Jim Henson Company is in active development on a new Farscape film, an anime project and is currently discussing syndication of this highly acclaimed series. We are eager to move forward with the Farscape creative team in developing new projects that will resonate with our overwhelmingly loyal fan base.
    MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Is there any chance at all for syndication? I know the sets are gone but the main sets all concern Moya. This show and it's writers are so creative that I'm sure they could get through at least the first part of a season 5 without Moya. How much of the last 2 seasons were on Moya? I'm sure that I'm wrong now that I think about it. A ton of scenes were probablly redresses of those sets but there has got to be a way around it. Throw in some Lucasfilm craptastic virtua sets. These actors have the skills to make it work. I'm just reaching I guess.
    -`,,``,,``
    Who are you?
    Why are you?
    What do you want?

There's always a chance, but Sci-Fi is making it difficult. They retain the rights to the first four seasons, and have stated that they have no plans to release those rights to someone else. So whatever network took the risk, would not get the benefit of the past 4 seasons to show. That doesn't mean it won't happen though, just makes the chances slim.

Moya was a focus of the show, but not a huge one. And with the way the last episode ends, they could leave her out for a bit while they rebuild her. Or start havin ILM or another company render the sets in CGI. They have mentioned that as a possibility for Season 5, if it should happen. I just hope somthing happens, a theatrical movie, animated series, new series, anything.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sorry to say that I have never seen the show, so forgive my question. What is the general opinion on why SciFi has treated the show so poorly? From what I have read here, it seems that the network had almost a disdain for the show. Is it some type of internal network politics?

It seems like a stretch that SciFi would do these things just because they want to "diversify" their programming, or some other corporate excuse. They seemed to try their best to make sure the show stays dead.