Thumbs up Sci Fi Pictures: Riverworld

I saw the preview for this, while watching Children of Dune tonight. It looks pretty good, and sound intresting according to the info on SciFi.com. I was wondering if anyone was planning to watch it. Or had read the original books that the movie is based on. We can always turn it into a discussion thread on the movie, if it's any good. Here's the info from SciFi.com for those intrested.

Sci Fi Pictures Presents: Riverworld
    World Premiere: Saturday, March 22, At 9PM & 11PM ET/PT

Welcome to legendary author Philip José Farmer's Earthlike afterlife, where people from every era have been reborn young and healthy — and where an astronaut and a motley assortment of allies battle an ancient Roman emperor and a Viking warlord for the soul of humanity.

In the year 2009, a meteor shower above Earth claims the life of astronaut Jeff Hale (Brad Johnson of the Left Behind movies, Steven Spielberg's Always and TV's Soldier of Fortune, Inc.). He awakens in an ocean of jade-green geodesic bubbles, as a mysterious cloaked figure pierces him with a pike. Dazed and in pain, he soon finds himself crawling onto a beach littered with canisters of clothing. Soon dozens of people from different lands and eras emerge from the water. Remarkably, they understand each other's language — all except for the lone Neanderthal man, who is killed by the ancient Roman Lucius Domitus Ahenobarbus (Jonathan Cake, First Knight), who became infamous under another name....

Suddenly: hoofbeats! The warlord Valdemar (the late Kevin Smith of Hercules: The Legendary Journeys and Xena: Warrior Princess, in his final role) thunders in with an army, to announce that he is the ruler of Riverworld and that the newcomers are to be soldiers, workers or slaves. Soon Hale and a band of compatriots — among them the now beautiful and young octogenarian Alice Liddell Hargreaves (Emily Lloyd, A River Runs Through It), a famous writer and Mississippi riverboat captain named Samuel (Cameron Daddo, star of F/X: The Series), concentration-camp victim Lev Ruach (Jeremy Birchall), stunning African priestess Mali (Madonna dancer Karen Holness, Atomic Train, Rated X) and the alien Monat (Brian Moore), who died on Earth — fight for their freedom and to learn the secret of RIVERWORLD.

Mixing historical figures and pure imagination like no one else, legendary author Philip José Farmer launched his "Riverworld" series with the novelette "The Day of the Great Shout" in the January 1965 issue of Worlds of Tomorrow. Combining that story with "The Suicide Express" in the March 1966 issue, he created the Hugo Award-winning novel To Your Scattered Bodies Go (1971). His novelettes "The Felled Star" and "The Fabulous Riverboat" (Worlds of IF Science Fiction, July-August 1967 and June-August 1971) were combined to create the next "Riverworld" book, The Fabulous Riverboat (1971).

This SCI FI Pictures telefilm is based on the first two novels of Farmer's remarkable saga — which, by 1993, included 10 novels, short-story collections and such books of miscellanea as Riverworld War: The Suppressed Fiction of Philip José Farmer (a collection that includes a chapter which was cut from the fourth novel).
    http://scifi.com/onair/scifipictures/riverworld/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Wow does that sound convoluted; very high-concept. It looks interesting, but I don't know if I'm gonna bother.

I didn't hear that Kevin Smith (Ares on Hercules & Xena) had died, it apparently happened over a year ago too. Sad.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Something doesn't add up here. If that's the afterlife, and there are soldiers, then this Boss Hogg of Riverworld is obviously out to kill other individuals. But why? You can't die anymore.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas