Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: is it over?

is it over?

Ok, I realize the irony of this in light of the recent thread closings, but I just have a question. Are all religious and political thread subjects now off-limits? If not, can they be? The bad thing about a political or religious thread is, just before it gets closed, someone always gets that last word in and it tends to perturb someone with a solid rebuttal. Not to mention the tense feelings it creates between members.
    Because you know, you're not going to change anyone's mind, not on a SW forum! All it seems we're doing is ****ing each other off, and there are other, less respectable places on the Net for that.

So consider this a formal request for civility, even if it means compromising our ability to choose the subject we talk about. I have to deal with the world day in and day out, and I come here to escape. I'm guilty here, too, I'll jump in a heated discussion with the quickness, but maybe it's not the best thing for this forum. Who's to say? Sometimes in my family we avoid talking about certain things in order to get along.

I hope everyone understands what I mean, I'm not trying to stir up trouble or anything, just a suggestion. Sorry if this is pouring salt in an open wound, I really just wanted my first question answered.

Did this make any sense, or is my morning coffee betraying my
    brain again?

An after thought....I like everyone on these boards, and I like SW, and I'm going to try to stick to innocent subjects here. I'm going out to find a political board to post on and look for some jerks to argue with. Difference of opinion or not, the people here are too cool to be at odds with.
    Last edited by Fulit; 03-20-2003 at 09:09 AM.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

They are all off limit now, unless you are discussing religion and politics related to SW of course.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
    They are all off limit now, unless you are discussing religion and politics related to SW of course.
    So just don't anger the Seperatists and Loyalists, right?
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Originally posted by Fulit
    So just don't anger the Seperatists and Loyalists, right?
    Right.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces

Why not get rid of the gen. discussion thread altogether then?

Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
    Why not get rid of the gen. discussion thread altogether then?
    Because there are other things you can discuss besides politcs and religion.

Originally posted by Lord_Malakite
    Because there are other things you can discuss besides politcs and religion.
    However, if political threads now have to relate to Star wars....shouldn't all of the topics in the general discussion section?

hehehe

I came to the conclusion as well that there are people I enjoy conversing with that I'd rather not be at loggerheads with. they say friends shouldn't ever discuss religion and politics if they want to stay friends. So I'm going to follow Fulit and just not go there with this whole hot potato issue. It's going on all around us and we have that to deal with in the real world so this place should be a place of escape.

Originally posted by The Overlord Returns
    However, if political threads now have to relate to Star wars....shouldn't all of the topics in the general discussion section?
    No.

Just went back and looked over the new rule again. You are allowed to discuss politics & religion for movies in general, not just SW.

Ahhhhhhh, man, i guess that means those folks who don't EVER leave the General discussion area and talk politics are actually going to have to browse the other forums. That's insane!! Imagine that...talking SW and whatnot at a SW site!! Gimme a sec to take this all in.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"