Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Toyfare Magazine on "The Nightmare Before Empire"

I don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but Toyfare magazine has a story on the never-released figures from the Star Wars Holiday Special. Apparently, these are right from a Kenner catalog.
    These figures are listed: Itchy, Lumpy, Malla, Chewbacca in Life Day Robes, Chef Gormaanda, Holographic WOW, Ackmena, Saundan, The Ringleader and from his first ever appearance (Toyfare says that Boba Fett's first appearance was in the animated short during the Holiday Special) Boba Fett with Dragon.
    If you haven't seen this yet, I would recommend reading it. Toyfare gives some very humorous commentary about the Special and shows some great photos of the would-be toys.

hmmmm, I've seen the Wookie family figures before, but not the others I don't think (I may have blocked them from memory like eye molestation) so I may have to pick this up and check it out...

Quite frankly, I don't want to know of would-be figures from the Holiday Special. Its a toy line I could do without. The mere thought of remanants of that monstrosity in toy form gives a cold chill down my back.
    "Watch this, I'm going to horrify you into a coma..."

Toyfare also goes on to say that GL himself refuses to aknowledge or comment on the "Holiday Special"! If I were him I would take it a step farther, all employees of ILM, LFL, etc. would have to sign a disclaimer, whereby ALL employees MUST refuse to aknowledge it's existance under threat of LAWSUIT!

Thankfully I have never viewed this lump of film myself.

I would, however, LOVE to own the Muppet special with Mark Hamil, Carrie Fisher, and Harrison Ford!
    May the force be with you.

Thumbs up

I don't know, as silly as the Holiday Special was, I am a fan of it. I have seen pics of the Wookie family, but none of the others. I have to go out and buy Toyfare is it's true.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

I'll need to get that issue.

Did they have photos of the figures? If not, here's the family prototypes...

As a sidenote, I remember seeing an issue of toyfare a while back where somebody had customized a SWHS toy.
    They took the cantina showdown three pack, took Obi-wan out and replaced him with a customized Bea Arthur figure who was dancing with Walrus Man.
    The package was then altered to say "Cantina Hoe-Down."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wookie_figs.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	9.4 KB 
ID:	195  
    All your base are belong to us!

Originally posted by Lman316
    These figures are listed: Itchy, Lumpy, Malla, Chewbacca in Life Day Robes, Chef Gormaanda, Holographic WOW, Ackmena, Saundan, The Ringleader and from his first ever appearance (Toyfare says that Boba Fett's first appearance was in the animated short during the Holiday Special) Boba Fett with Dragon.
    Any pictures of these?
    GNT
    ''
    You fool, my reach is far greater than the Jedi.Only a Sith can wield the force over such a great distance.'' - Darth Sidious

You know, they advertised the holiday special for weeks before it aired back in '78 or '79? As a kid, I was so pumped to see it. And I must honestly say that even as a 10 year old, I was very disappointed. Though the word "sucked" was not yet in my vocabulary, I'm sure that if it was, that is the term I would have used to describe it.

Angry totally bogus!!

I saw this issue yesterday and the pictures they provide from the "actual Kenner catalog" are totally fake! For one, this catalog is supposed to be dated 1978, but they have pictures of Luke Stormtrooper and Yakface in the background. Those two weren't made until 1985! The Art Carney figure is an obviously customized Rancor Keeper and Lumpy is a customized Ewok. This is either a joke or somebody really pulled one over on Toyfare!
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

I don't know, I was celebrating Life Day last year and ....