Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

rusty metal hilts

While I liked the idea of the metal saber hilts when first discovered, the overuse of the Obi-Wan and generic/Kit Fisto saber hilt accessory got kind of annoying. However, to my great dismay, I noticed during a recent examination that one of the generic hilts - I am think it came with Ani HD - is most assuredly rusting around the rings! There's also a bit of tarnish over the surface of the hilt which seems to be causing some extra tightness for the saber blade that didn't exist when I got it. Since there's a paint dot on one side, I can't clean the rust and tarnish off without taking that off as well.

On the other hand, the Obi-Wan hilt I have right here is clean and shiny, totally free of rust and tarnish. I believe that is because unlike the generic hilt, the Obi-Wan hilt is chromed and painted at the rings while the generic isn't.

Just thought you should know.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Have you been playing with them in the bath?

A) No.

B) These were just sitting out being held by figures' plastic (not magnet) hands, neither got much time being handled by human hands.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Hmm... Thats weird. I play with mine a decent amount, and I even got it wet once, but there is no rust on mine. Sorry.
    Powdered Toast Man!

Maybe your figure was exposed to something before being packaged, I haven't noticed anything with mine. If you want a plastic version theres always the green saber in the Arena Accessory set.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I was just looking at mine the other day (all my Saga sabers are kept separate in a little tupperware due to the fragility of the blade pegs - stupid things), and I noticed some tightness in one as well - the one that came with HD Ani as well. Weird. I didn't notice any discoloration like you're talking about though, JT.

I'll be happier when they switch back to one piece sabers (apparently going to happen late this year?).
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

If only they'd switch to one piece sabers and chrome the hilts. Expensive to do but it'd look cool. I like the look of the metal hilts but they aren't the most detailed items on the menu are they. Effectively just a tube with a splotch of black paint here and there. At least with one piece sabers we will get some detail in them. Be able to determine more easily which character belongs to which saber. Especially as there are now so many darned Jedi weilding them and they all have darned green or blue sabers I know the movie had the two colors but just for the sake of the toys couldn't we have some nice colors please? Like Plo koons yellow and Ki-Adi's magenta and Adi gallia's marron saber. A little variation in shade perhaps. Once the figures drop their blades it's nigh on impossible to remember who had which one. And no i don't leave the rubber bands on because i actually play with my figures so sometimes they have sabers and sometimes they don't. And the rubber bands make the hands look swollen and deformed if you leave them on.

Hmm, I wonder why mine is the only one with rust.

BTW, checked another Obi-Wan's saber, no rust, but the blade was a lot tighter than when I first got the figure.

Im now too scared to start pulling out the blades. They've been left in since purchase in nearly every case (except the HD Ani's I broke, now belonging to Miranda). I have no use for them out anyway, at least in that fragile little peg is safe (safer?).

Aside, but related - my daughter horrified me a little while ago, the Jedi were waging their final battle near my gunship, and she knocked Kit, Nikto, Luminara and Yoda onto the floor. I was SURE the sabers would be broken, at least some of them, but somehow they escaped unscathed. They've been put away ever since, and she now plays with the tougher Marvel Legends instead. Less to lose and break on those babies.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Is it something in the air JT y'know, like living near the ocean means more salty air that eats into stuff and corrodes like crazy. Is the air more humid in your place than elsewhere? Figures near air con or something. That's the only thing i could think of. I remember having something similar happen to a few metal toys back in the day when i lived at my grandmas house for a spell and her place was very humid. I found that it wasn't so much rudst but more like the metals used in toys would get like a white crust on it and things would fuse together. Really odd. Toy cars were affected and things with battery compartments. never had batteries for anything so it wasn't acid corrosion just whatever was in the air - moisture. I haven't had any problems with saber blades at all because I keep my room really dry and warm. never have the window open much and have no heating for my room specifically. Ergo no moisture. I might be way off beam with this but I'm simply trying to offer a possible.