Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Well, I spoke too soon. While we're not seeing much romanticising of this war yet, the 24-hour news organizations have started the most dangerous campaign so far - the advertising campaign. It's embarassing when the war is interrupted with 3 minutes of adverts and promos.

It does seem, as QLD points out, that the anchors in this war's coverage are mostly dullards who have nary the skills to deal with live coverage like this and either end up saying something totally stupid or just sitting there slack-jawed watching the footage.

Ultimately, I don't think it's particularly healthy to watch this stuff "live" like this, but it's impossible to know which moments will be interesting reporting and which ones will be boring fluff. The media SHOULD be presenting the news with an eye towards responsible editing to present the facts and feelings, not simply airing everything and patting themselves on the back when after 52 hours of filler they finally get something "juicy" that lasts for 5 minutes. And there IS other news going on in the world beyond Iraq, though it seems awfully difficult to tell from the newsmedia coverage lately.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I had a discussion with a co-worker today about the best way to keep up with current events. My problem is that I'll take my LA Times with me, but lately, I haven't had any time to really read it. By the time I get home, it's all old news after I flip on the tube to catch up.

So, the obvious solution to this quandry was to pick a medium: TV or newspaper. As stated, the problem with just going with print is that by the time I get to it, it's old news. The problem with choosing electronic media is that is shifts toward the sensational. Print goes more in-depth with what I feel is more fair coverage overall but at the expense of timeliness. Electronic is certainly up-to-date, but at the expense of accuracy.

There is no one good answer. But while discussing this, another "co-worker" tried to insert himself into our conversation and proceeded to preach that NONE of the media outlets was telling the whole truth. "Maybe so," I replied, however I quickly noted that the only way to really glean a completely objective viewpoint was to go experience it for himself, at which I invited him to hop on a plane. Not only did he not have a quippy response to that, I didn't hear a peep out of him for the rest of the day.

Originally posted by stillakid
    Electronic is certainly up-to-date, but at the expense of accuracy.
    And often focus and integrity, to boot.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Originally posted by JediTricks
    And often focus and integrity, to boot.
    That is one of my favorite moments of television news:

"Uh, what we're seeing here appears to be [fill in the blank]. We're seeing this images for the first time along with you, so once we get more information, we'll be sure to pass it along."

Nice. How 'bout this? Why not find out what the news is first before trying to report it? I already know the answer to that. By splashing the raw video onscreen, they can later claim that they had it "FIRST!" regardless of the fact that they had no idea what the hell it was.

Originally posted by Fulit
    The future is weird.
    "We are all interested in the future - for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives." - Criswell

Well ... we are watching history happen. Most of us outside of the Amish communities should be used to how the "media" does what it does by now. Take it all with a grain of salt ... someday you can sit back and try to figure out what was "real" and what was merely clever video editing and snappy sound bites.