Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Are you enjoying the war? Can I get you some popcorn?

Though I haven't been home much in the past week, I've been, well, I guess "amazed" is as good a word as any to describe the media coverage of the invasion of Iraq. Most of us surely remember the first Iraqi war when we were "treated" to missile POV cameras as they fell into their targets. Just as military know-how has advanced greatly since then, so too has the manner in which such an event is presented to the public.

From the media presentation center in Kuwait to reporters "imbedded" in the field, the "war" eerily is starting to feel more like a nightly episodic reality show than something that is very very real.

I think it was the Sydney Olympic Games which were aired live here in the States, but only in the middle of the night. "Reruns" were run during normal daylight and primetime hours. As I come home each evening, I'm finding something similar to be true with this recent conflict. I'm able to flip on the telly and watch a nicely "packaged" montage of the day's events, complete with flashy titles and a symphonic score.

Now, before somebody gets all lathered up thinking this is a "political" discussion, it is not. We're talking about television here. I guess my question is, does anyone else feel like this is more like The Truman Show than real "news?" Do we need wall to wall coverage? Is there real value to having "live" cameras in Baghdad so we, here at home, can watch each bomb drop? Or is it just another form of entertainment?

What if the Revolutionary War had been broadcast live into the 13 states? Or the Civil War? What if we had cameras beaming live images from the beaches of Normandy? Can you imagine what that would have been like?

In fact, one of my favorite parts of history were the newsreels of WWII. They have that "This Week in Baseball" or NFL Films feel to them. They were "news" for sure, but there was definitely a real element of "homeland propaganda" to them as the efforts of the Allied Nations were romanticized. It's a fascinating part of our past.

There are a lot more questions that keep popping into my head about this topic, so I guess I'm just interested to know...what do you think?
    Last edited by stillakid; 03-22-2003 at 03:22 AM.

It's good that the media keeps us informed. But it's annoying when they keep us too informed and interfere with some quality broadcast. They ruined my leisurly watching of Saturday morning cartoons.
    If Yoda is capable of kicking someone's @$$, imagine what a muppet could do!

I too have been amazed by the coverage. Now I don't know the benefit of having reporters riding in with the 3rd I.D. (Infantry Division for those that haven't been watching the 24 hour a day coverage. ). They can't tell us anything due to security and have to be annoying as heck to ride with.

The images from downtown Baghdad have been amazing. I think the images show exactly what the military has been saying they've been aiming to do, hit only the targets of interests. The surgical strikes have been impressive to say the least. For me at least its comforting to see that the civilians aren't being subjected to aimless bombing.

Changes in the media coverage and the military's ability since Gulf 1 are significant. Both are for the better.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I like the delayed screen progression.......

this thread will be closed soon........
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

During the Revolutionary War there were actually people who would set up picnics on the hills above Battle Fields. They watched a few battles, until some of the "bystanders" got shot or killed.

So this is not exactly a new thing.
    May the force be with you.

I find nothing enjoyable about watching war on T.V., nor the fact that my four year old son thought it was some kind of cool movie on T.V. "Geeze Daddy, what movie is that your watching?, that's pretty cool, kinda like Star Wars Daddy. "No son, this is the real deal, something that is happening right now so you can enjoy the freedom and lifestyle you have right now." "It's time for bed son"
    "Daddy are there people going on vacation to heaven like grampy?" "Maybe Brandon, I don't know, now get to bed"

This I hope will be over soon with hardly any deaths ( only Saddam I hope) on either side. Everyone should say a prayer for all involved.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!

My, God they're playing it on every T.V. at Wal-Mart when you go. You can't escape it. Everytime a marine drops his helmet in Qatar, I know about it 30 seconds later.

"Shop Wal-Mart for low prices while watching your government take down a corrupt Middle-Eastern regime!"

The future is weird.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

hehehehehehehe.............

I noticed that too. What's up with playing the war in Wal-Mart?

Bizarre

Wal-Mart, always low prices, always war coverage...ALWAYS!
    May the force be with you.

Originally posted by sith_killer_99
    During the Revolutionary War there were actually people who would set up picnics on the hills above Battle Fields. They watched a few battles, until some of the "bystanders" got shot or killed.

So this is not exactly a new thing.
    I think your confusing your wars, your picnic reference was for the Civil War not the Revolutionary War.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I think its great. Sure beats the court shows and talk shows during the day. When it is night here it is day there so we can resume regular Tv programing. My wife yelled at me this morning because I woke up and put it right on. Kinda reminds me of 12 years ago. I am glad they brought this show back. DOn't know why it was canceled in the first place.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten