Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Anyone care to catch me up to speed about....everything? lol

Ok, heres the deal. The only book I have EVER read was Tales Of Jabba's Palace, and LOVED it. But, I have no idea what happened after ROTJ! I have heard some things, although I'n not sure if they are all true.

1)Emperor is still alive? I heard he had clones of himself or something, that true?

2)God no........Chewy......dead..?

3)Leia is now a Jedi, and has kids with Han? How many, and whats their names?

4) Did luke marry Mara Jade? If so, do they have kids?

5)Whats going on with 3P0,R2,Ackbar,Mon Mothma,Wedge,Lando, or Madine?

6)Is there more Jedi besides Luke, Leia(?), and Mara Jade? I heard Luke started a Jedi Acadamy, is this true?

7) Are the old gang(LukeHan,Leia, ya know) part of the new Republic? If so, did they start it?

8)Does Luke still see Obi-Wan?

9)What role do the old gang play now? I mean, what do they do? I know Luke is a Jedi and all, but is the Empire still around to keep them busy, or...what?

Ok, the REEEEEEEEEEEASON I am asking so many questions is, I'm going to start reading all the new books and comics put out, and I will be soooo lost without your help.

So if you can think of ANYTHING else that you think might help me so I wont be so lost, please tell me Like, is there any new players, that might not be so new to you guys, but will be to me(since Jedi was the end of the saga for me)? I dont even know who Thrawn is.

Well, I know this is a huge favor, but thanks in advance for any help I might get.
    "May the force be with you, always"

Well, you've asked for info that is about a dozen different series. I can only tell you about the books I've read.

The Han Solo Trilogy was great. It starts when he was a teenager and ends with him sitting in the cantina. It clears up a lot of things that come up in the Classic Trilogy.

The Zahn Trilogy takes place after ROTJ. It has been years since I read it, but it was very good. I am planning on re-reading them soon. These books will probably answer a lot of your questions.

I am currently reading the X-Wing Series. The first book was good, and I'm part way through the 2nd book. I think there are some books I should have read before I started this series because they keep refering to some battles that took place after ROTJ. I quit reading the Jedi Academy books for these.

Most of the Tales from ___ books are pretty good. Jabba's Palace was probably the best.
    Yo momma. That's right, I said "yo momma".

Without a doubt the place to start is the Tim Zahn trilogy of books sometimes referred to as the Thrawn trilogy. Written in 1991 these books are, many believe, chiefly responsible for rekindling fan interest in all things Star Wars.

They are:
    Heir to the Empire
    Dark Force Rising
    The Last Command

Heir to the Empire starts about 5 years after ROTJ. If you want a solid foundation on post ROTJ E.U. books then this is the place to start. All the back history you need is in the original movie trilogy. There has been so much stuff written in the last ten years that trying to read it all may seem a bit daunting. I might suggest that you narrow your scope a bit. For instance, I like the graphic novels but view them only as a supplement to the books. I pick and choose what I want to read but don't feel obligated to read them all like I do the books. Especially the post ANH books. Except for the Han Solo Trilogy (highly recommended) and a few select others I prefer to stick mostly to the post ANH books and that doesn't narrow it down that much. You're still talking about almost 60 books spanning 30 years! I'm always excited when someone expresses interest in reading the books. You'll now be entering a much larger universe. There are some good guys here in the books forum and they'll be on soon with their input. I don't post here much because by the time I buy a book they've already discussed it to death.
    -`,,``,,``
    Who are you?
    Why are you?
    What do you want?

Well I was going to start buying the new books that come out, but I guess I should go back and read some of the olfer ones.

Re: Anyone care to catch me up to speed about....everything? lol

Wow. . . That's quite a list. I'll do my best, but be forewarned that I'm going to have to include some minor spoilers.

Originally posted by Amy
    1)Emperor is still alive? I heard he had clones of himself or something, that true?
    He cloned himself ad nauseum--and I do mean nauseum--in the Dark Empire, Dark Empire II, and Empire's End comic series (all of which take place six years post-ROTJ and are available in graphic novel format now). It's up in the air as to whether the true consciousness of Palpatine inhabited his clones, as originally stated in these comics. Mara Jade makes a comment in one of the Hand of Thrawn novels that she doesn't believe it was really him, and I'd put more stock in Mara than in the guy who wrote these comics.

Sad to say, though, you should definitely read these comics if you want the full story. They're heavily referenced in later books (including even a premonition in Tatooine Ghost).

2)God no........Chewy......dead..?
    Chewie was killed by the first wave of Yuuzhan Vong invaders in Vector Prime. Though it's controversial, and the death toll in later New Jedi Order novels goes a bit to the extreme, I understand why it was done. Earlier novels were rather formulaic after a while, and there was no suspense as to whether the main characters would survive. So the word came down to kill Chewie, since only one or two writers were able to do him any justice anyway.

3)Leia is now a Jedi, and has kids with Han? How many, and whats their names?
    Not quite. Leia has had some rudimentary Jedi training, but is far from being a Knight. She has (had) three kids, the twins Jacen and Jaina (born in The Last Command) and Anakin (born in Dark Empire and killed off in Star by Star).

4) Did luke marry Mara Jade? If so, do they have kids?
    They were engaged in Vision of the Future and married in Union (both excellent reads). They have one son, Ben, who was born in one of the NJO novels with bland titles that blend together.

5)Whats going on with 3P0,R2,Ackbar,Mon Mothma,Wedge,Lando, or Madine?
    C-3PO: Leia's personal droid, keeping a fairly low profile through most of the NJO.
    R2-D2: Luke's personal droid, also keeping a low profile.
    Mon Mothma: Died in her sleep of old age shortly before the Yuuzhan Vong invasion (as revealed in The New Essential Guide to Characters).
    Wedge: Brought out of retirement to fight the Vong. Last seen leading a sort of "New Rebellion" that fought the Vong outside the decayed New Republic, but now that the Republic seems to be recovering, current whereabouts unknown. I think it's safe to assume he's kicking Vong butt.
    Lando: Along with his wife Tendra, marketing the YVA (Yuuzhan Vong Assassin) model of battle droids to combat the Vong.
    Madine: Killed by Durga the Hutt in Darksaber (the first movie character to be killed and stay dead in a pre-NJO novel, btw) after a long, distinguished career as the head of New Republic Intelligence.

6)Is there more Jedi besides Luke, Leia(?), and Mara Jade? I heard Luke started a Jedi Acadamy, is this true?
    Yes and yes. There are tons of Jedi Knights, with the clear standout among fans being Corran Horn (created by Mike Stackpole in the excellent Rogue Squadron series of comics and novels, and whose training is detailed in I, Jedi, the only SW book to be told in first person).

7) Are the old gang(LukeHan,Leia, ya know) part of the new Republic? If so, did they start it?
    The simple answer of this is yes. It'd be hard to go into detail without this getting really long.

Obi-Wan last appeared to Luke in Heir to the Empire, when he told Luke it was becoming too difficult to maintain his identity within the Force. Anakin and Yoda never appeared to Luke after ROTJ (though some details from the latest issue of Star Wars Tales and The Truce at Bakura seem to dispute this). Anakin appeared to Leia once, in The Truce at Bakura.

9)What role do the old gang play now? I mean, what do they do? I know Luke is a Jedi and all, but is the Empire still around to keep them busy, or...what?
    After a gazillion tales of warlords coming to power and being defeated again within the space of single novels, the Empire is currently allied with the New Republic fighting the Yuuzhan Vong incursion, with Admiral Gillad Pellaeon more or less in control.

As for recommendations, if you want to read everything, I'd go as close to publication date. If not, read anything by Timothy Zahn, then anything by Mike Stackpole, then Shadows of the Empire and Dark Empire (both less than perfect but important reading), then the prequel-era novels, then Tatooine Ghost, then the NJO.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

WOW El Chuxter, thats what I was looking for! You REALLY REALLY know your Star Wars!! Yes, I WILL for sure buy Tatooine Ghost. It sounds like a great read.

Its pretty cool there is more Jedi in the future I'm so sad about Chewie and Mom Mothma I have alwyas loved them both, so thats really upsetting

El Chuxter-Your a saint!

Wow having read none of the books except for the first Han Solo trilogy, that is alot of info. I never got into those books. I think I am gonna start getting and reading them though, sound interesting. Gonna go to the library tomorrow.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Okay Mr. Smarty Pants-less Bear! Let's see you answer these riddles three... hundred thousand!

Are there any relatives of movie characters, like the Darklighters, Porkinses, Dodonnas, Mottis, Tarkins, etc.?

Have there been any crazed madmen or alien species trying to rule the galaxy?

Any superweapons created to aid in ruling the galaxy?

Have any bounty hunters or gangsters been un-killed or re-introduced?

Have there been any continuity errors or contradictory stories?

Have I given you enough to talk about? (Inside joke)

'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Re: Anyone care to catch me up to speed about....everything? lol

Originally posted by Amy
    Mara found out Luke was still seeing Ben and she told Luke to make a choice. It was a very tough choice, and as evidence of Luke continuing feelings for Obi Wan, Luke named his first baby after his first love.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Originally posted by Bel-Cam Jos

Have there been any continuity errors or contradictory stories?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Well, no of course NOT!

may the Emperor himself strike me down with force lightning for lying
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!