Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anybody watch the Academy Awards?

Despite the fact that the LOTR trilogy missed out once again for Best Picture (to Chicago??! Arghh.) I did quite enjoy the show. I was especially glad to see Michael Moore win for Best Documentary. His acceptance speech was one of the all time greats...I agree 100%!
    "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes."

The bigger travesty is that Chicago beat the Pianist....

I was very happy to see Adrian Brody win though...

No award for Lilo and Stitch?!?!?

And Eminem beating U2? These guys are crack-fiends!!

Though Michael Moore was, as always, fun to watch.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Yeah, glad Moore won. Interesting speech as well.

I was very upset though that Roman Polanski (sp?) won for Best Director. The man had sex with a 13 year old, and then fled the country, he deserves a jailcell not an oscar.
    Powdered Toast Man!

Originally posted by Prince Xizor
    Yeah, glad Moore won. Interesting speech as well.

I was very upset though that Roman Polanski (sp?) won for Best Director. The man had sex with a 13 year old, and then fled the country, he deserves a jailcell not an oscar.
    What does his ethical past have to do with him winning an oscar?

He's being awarded for his incredible film work, plain and simple.

Come on, Jerry Lee Lewis Impregnated and married his 14 year old cousin...and he's in the Rock and Roll Hall of fame.

Bill Wyman of the stones also married a 14 year old.......as far as I know...he's still allowed into the states....

From what I could tell from the IMDb highlights of it, it was pretty much the same as the last few years' Oscar ceremonies - crappy.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

It was nice to hear mentally challenged Moore being booed.

I'm glad the "THE CHUBBCHUBBS!" won best Animated short.
    ubi mel ibi apes

Re: Anybody watch the Academy Awards?

Originally posted by EricRG
    I was especially glad to see Michael Moore win for Best Documentary. His acceptance speech was one of the all time greats...I agree 100%!

Shut 'er down, mods. SirSteve has requested no political threads for now. Certainly that rule pertains to threads/posts where political views and statements are veiled under the pretext of legitimate subject matter.
    Last edited by Emperor Howdy; 03-25-2003 at 02:34 AM.

Oh boy, I'm afraid to even mention Polanski but I will say this:

The issue to me isn't that he was convicted of statutory rape, rather the crime of DRUGGING a 13 year old and then commiting rape.

They keep referencing "his past conviction for statutory rape" --- and if it was only the case of him sleeping with a 16 or 17 year old girl, well then yeah it's still sick but not AS horrible as DRUGGING a young girl and then doing his evil deed.

Jeez, at least the director of "Powder" and "Jeepers Creepers" actually did jail time.

I think that despite the fact that Polanski may well have made a great film (I don't actually know, I didn't see it) a line has to be drawn somewhere when it comes to honoring people. I can't see giving an AWARD to someone who can do something well, but can't otherwise function properly in society as a whole. Just because you call yourself an "artist", you don't have free reign to act how you choose, and considering what this guy is accused of, I can't say he deserves an award. Someone like this does not deserve to be honored and certainly shouldn't be someone we point to and say to our children "Now grow up and be like him".

It's the old Pete Rose debate again. (No, he SHOULD NOT be in the HOF. Period. IMHO, of course.)
    "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes."