View Poll Results: How does 2003's Classic Star Wars line-up suit you?

Voters
587. You may not vote on this poll
  • It looks awesome! TIE Fighters, Han Hoth, Vader Removeable Helmet, Jedi Luke...

203 34.58%
  • Its too centered on the core characters. The cantina and Jabba's need more attention.

229 39.01%
  • I don't like them repacking Leia, C-3PO, etc. There aren't enough new Classic figures.

145 24.70%
  • I don't collect Classic Star Wars figures, I'm ready to get on with the Clone Wars!

10 1.70%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I didn't vote, because there wasn't an option for, "or does this question not affect you because you haven't found new stuff in stores anyway?"

I think the current mix is pretty good, although I would prefer to see more new characters from new and old movies.

BUT I WOULD PREFER TO SEE ANYTHING AT ALL!
    Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the
    fool that follows it?

If it's an improvement, I'm for it, but if it's like this Han Hoth where it's the same worthless leg pose coupled with a gimmick, then I'm not particularly thrilled. Classic rehashes from the modern era (POTF2 till now) should be BETTER than their previous incarnations and learn from the prior mistakes. All in all, 2003 looks ok for classic but I'm waiting to see more final product before I commit to the whole thing - something in there doesn't feel right.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I feel otisdodge's pain. In Ireland the new stuff is either non-existant or priced so high that no child's parent in their right mind would buy the stuff even if it was available. This is why I hate hearing about Hasbro trying to cater for the kiddies when it comes to star wars toys. Besides which I agree with JPX that they completely misjudge the kids market. A child doesn't need 13 Darth Vader's either- they'd much rather have more characters of non-speaking and speaking roles in the films. I know because I was one not so long ago. Whatsmore they don't care about action features as much as Hasbro would have us believe...even all those years ago I yearned for accurate and realistic sculpts rather than unfeasible and silly looking gimmicks.

OK, some people didn't understand my comment, or Hasbro's position on the kid market:

It's not the child that ALREADY HAS 1 Darth Vader figure that they make the next one for!

It's for the child that is 1-2 and turning 4 sometime soon and will recognize and want Star Wars characters that they are making the next Darth Vader, Chewie, Qui-Gon, Maul, Han or Luke for.

To Hasbro, many kid collectors = NEW collectors.

In 1978 (9) our Obi-Wan Kenobi could fight Ponda Baba, and our Stormtrooper could fight bounty hunter Zutton (Snaggletoothe).

They are saying every newbie can always get a new Kenobi (and completists will buy him - not to mention that there are about 4 variations of him in E2 that I'd want really bad and would buy anyway) ...

but in 2003, our Obi-Wan Kenobi can fight Xentress (spelling) and Wat Tambler, and our Stormtrooper can face Captain Antilles.

I too prefer only new characters not made before, E2 Kenobi being one of very few exceptions, however, who am I to say that a 3-4 year old shouldn't be allowed to go to a regular retail store and find a Luke Skywalker that he saw in the movie?

But I have pointed out that the Expanded Universe offers a great alternative to providing a Luke figure without over-exploiting any movie-screen example we already have too many of.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Ok Tycho... I understand that and did before your explanation. My question is "Why two Jedi Lukes within a year of each other?" If a new-kid-collector wants one I think waiting 'till next year is no problem. Make one, and make that one poseable with a CLOTHE removeable cloak.
    In response to a comment made earlier (don't feal like digging around for it) I wish Hasbro would do more fabric as well. They DO do some fabric (soft-goods), but I'd love to see a Yoda, Emperor, Luke, and Royal Guard done that way (And tuck the guard's arms away... the new ones we have just don't look the way they did in the movie).

that's all
    Skeeziks22

More droids, more creatures!

I don't think that there's anything wrong with putting out different versions of the core characters - look at G.I. Joe, for example. But it needs to be done in moderation. That is, when a new wave of figures comes out, 1 or 2 should be core characters, but the rest should be fresh. Let's look at the latest line that I just saw at Wal-Mart. Hmmmm, I saw a new version of Count Dookoo (now looking even more angry!), a new version of Padme (now running!), a new version of a sandperson (now in threatening stance!), a new version of Obi Wan (wow, now with pillar), another version of Mace Windu (I can't even tell what's new about it), and the 2 droids from the droid analysis room (cut scene). Now, I was psyched to see the new droids, but dismayed to see new versions of characters that they've already made a few times. I mean, this is the 3rd Count Dookoo in 6 months! Okay, I realize that this is EP II and not the classic trilogy, but it's the same point. EPII just came out. This film has tons of possible characters they could produce, yet we're already being inundated with new versions of old characters. Please don't tell me that some little kid wouldn't be able to find the first versions, they're still hanging on the shelves.

Originally posted by skeeziks22
    "Why two Jedi Lukes within a year of each other?"
    Well, there is three answers for this one, in a manner of speaking. 1. They knew that many fans wouldn't be thrilled with the action featured one released in 2003. 2. Luke wears two distinct variations of his Jedi outfit. One with a vest and one without. Note he only wears the cloak in Jabba's Palace also. 3. We're finally getting a decent ROTJ Jabba in 2004, and they wanted figures to interact with it. Hence the rumors and vague confirmation of a strong focus from Hasbro on Jabba's Palace and ROTJ charecters in general next year. Like Luke Skywalker: Jabba's Palace.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I voted for awesome. I collect all ep1, ep2 and classic trilogy 3 3/4" figures. I just started with the ep1 collection about 6 months ago, and I have enjoyed trying to get them all. The new classic trilogy figures look good to me. I do get a little tired of some of the repacks though! I just bought a potj eeth koth not long ago on ebay and now they will have him on a saga card! I like the idea of keeping some figures more rare than others. But, anyways, the new figures are welcomed
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

I see what you mean now Tycho. I was on about kid 'collectors'..but if you're talking about casual buyers, impulse buyers, and newbie collectors I concede that there is a reason to have new versions of core characters. But I also agree with JPX. I'm sick of entire figure waves comprising reposed core characters with few if any fresh characters. it should be the reverse. If you're talking about 4 year olds then I must also withdraw what I said about kids not being interested in action features and instead wanting accuracy. Speaking for myself though when I was 13 in '95 I had loftier wishes when it came to star wars toys-as did my younger brother.

Having said all this, if the toys aren't distributed well, as they most definitely are not in Ireland, then trying to appease the kids market is a complete waste. Furthermore most parents aren't like mine who used to finance my hobby in the face of ridiculously high Forbidden Planet prices and today I don't enjoy paying 18 Euro for every figure either-if I can find them that is. When all I can find is a new version of Darth Vader that just adds insult to injury.

Hmmmm, I'm not a classic collector or a prequels collector specifically. i want all new aliens and droids if the figures are good quality and will fit with what i already have. I collect armies of classic figures because that is how they were grouped in the movie so to make sense of the figures i like a large amount of the soldiers to make it balance out right in my collection.
    If they make a figure i don't like i don't buy it. But if the figure i don't like is a 'teenth resculpt of some character i've already bought seventeen times and in various resculpts or repackages, i won't be best chuffed if the thing pegwarms and stops newer stuf getting through. I fail to see the reasoning behind so many core character resculpts i the first year when there are far cooler aliens and characters people are instantly baying for once the movie opens. One or two jangos and Anakins and Obi-Wans would have done for 2002 with a more rounded compliment of additional background characters to take in the broadest market. As far as i'm concerned the movie year needs a figure to fit the vehicle, a figure to fight foes with, a costume change and a silly deluxe figure only. After that there's no need for any more. just keep shipping the same figure sculpts as long as the market requires it.
    As for classic figures. I'm with JT on waiting to see how these things come out of the factories. The hardcopies looked okay but between there and the carded product lies a whole swamp of compromise and mistakes. molding errors and paint mishaps. Cost cutting. Too much to say for definite whether i like anything yet. The choice is still limited. same old same old mostly. the re-releases of army builders is a good idea. it can't harm to have those around. you can buy as many or as few of those as you want. having endless re-issues of core characters is starting to get boring. once you've bought one you won't really want to go buying armies of them so they tend to pegwarm. The delays in getting product out this year have harmed many peoples collecting habits i think. Frustrations and tensions are showing. Suddenly there'll be a glut of new stuff and everyone will be going into a feeding frenzy. It's like an artificial recreation of last april to my mind. Like trying to build the hype the same as a movie year. But then there's not that much that's interesting in the collections. all the good stuff is coming later in the year. Considering that this is a 'collector based' year there isn't an awful lot i would call collector aimed. sure there's a lot of collection two figures but to me all figures should fit that criteria anyway as standard. a two tier system is condescending, insulting and segregating to kids. In my experience kids want the same accuracy that we adults do, plus all the articulation and accessories. I think it's fatal to dismiss kids tastes in the way hasbro do with the two collections. it's a surefire way to lose their interest if they can't get good quality toys to begin with they won't keep coming back.
    As far as keeping them abreast of who's who in the figure range, re-releasing the odd core character is good. The sculpts they chose to do this year of classic figures like han cantina and leia all new face are nice sculpts but rather than just re-issue straight tweaks should have been made. Both of those figures have sculpt problems but little tweaks would make them worth releasing. Han needs more articulation in his arm so he can put that one arm down and be aperfect figure. Leia has a weird angle to her pose and her dres is a limiting one piece plastic thing. Combining the commtech soft goods leia with the all new face one would give a really playable figure. Hasbro takes too many silly shortcuts and doesn't think things through. Calling darth maul classic is not on. re-releasing him now is also not on. He's taken the place in cases that could have gone to Ishi tib or Zuckuss, figures that were not widely distributed on original release. Or something in that vein.

I'm more excited about my sandtrooper army builder sets than the new han hoth. I really don't care for core characters. Stormtroopers and other background characters are integral to the saga as much as the core characters plus there are more of them, concentrating on background depth and details would be moe stimulating and exciting as a journey through the star wars galaxy via figures than any more incessant releases of core characters. And please no more wind tunnel flapping cloaks and skirts. There was only one or two windy scenes in the saga so far and none of these flapping cloaked sculpt figures were in them. Sculpting dynamics yes, over sculpting no.

Score card for 2003 reads
    "A reasonable effort but with so much experience this pupil could do far better if they only applied themselves to the task at hand." 6/10