View Poll Results: How does 2003's Classic Star Wars line-up suit you?

Voters
587. You may not vote on this poll
  • It looks awesome! TIE Fighters, Han Hoth, Vader Removeable Helmet, Jedi Luke...

203 34.58%
  • Its too centered on the core characters. The cantina and Jabba's need more attention.

229 39.01%
  • I don't like them repacking Leia, C-3PO, etc. There aren't enough new Classic figures.

145 24.70%
  • I don't collect Classic Star Wars figures, I'm ready to get on with the Clone Wars!

10 1.70%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Hybrid View

How does 2003's Classic Star Wars line-up suit you?

Many Classic Star Wars fans have been in this hobby since its very beginning, and though I count myself amongst the new Clone Wars fans, I am also a dedicated Classic Star Wars enthusiast, and have been, since 1977. But in that category, our Hasbro products have been limited since a big movie year and a huge boon in popularity for Prequel Star Wars.

But though the pickings are thinner, there's a lot if you think about it:

Let's separate this year from next year.

2003.............................................. .....................2004 (rumors - generally)

Han Hoth.............................................. ........Imperial Dignitary 1*
    Chewbacca Mynock Hunt..............................Imperial Dignitary 2*
    Snowtrooper....................................... ..........Captain Antilles
    Luke (Darth Vader's Defeat).........................General Dadonna
    Leia (new likeness repack)...........................Chief Chirpa
    C-3PO (Tusken Attack repack)......................C-3PO Jabbas Palace
    Darth Vader (Anakin Revealed)....................Jabba the Hutt w. Throne
    Teebo (Repack).......................................... ..Mother Ewok w. wokling
    Imperial Officer (blonde)..............................Cloud Car Pilot
    Imperial Officer (brown hair)........................Ewok Warrior (TBA)
    Rebel Fleet Trooper.....................................Genera l Madine
    Boba Fett (Sarlaac Battle)...........................Leia Bespin Gown
    Yavin Hanger Crewer (acc pack).................
    Gamorrean Guard (acc pack).......................Bib Fortuna
    Boba Fett (300th Ann. in bty hntrs).............Luke Jedi (full articulation!)
    Bossk (repack in bounty hunters)................
    IG-88 (repack in bounty hunters)................
    Vader (Emp. Wrath, rpk in Imps)................
    ATST Driver (goggles OFF, in Imps).............
    Stormtrooper (in Imperials 4-pack).............
    Imperial R4 Unit (in Imps 4-pack)................
    MOUSE DROID (in Imps Sniff-pack)..............(heh-heh-heh)
    Sandtrooper 4-pack.....................................
    Kitik Keed Kak..............................................
    Dr. Evazan (resculpt)...................................
    Wuher (resculpt)........................................ .

* Might show up in 2003!

TIE Fighter w. Pilot.....................................Twin Pod Cloud Car w. pilot
    Sandcrawler (???) w. RA-7, Jawa rpk.........Tatooine Skiff re-release
    Y-wing w. Pilot (???) repack, if it happens..
    A-wing Fighter (Green Squadron w. pilot)..

12" Lando Skiff Guard..................................
    12" Han Solo "1975"....................................
    12" AT-ST Driver...........................................
    12" Max Rebo w. Keyboard..........................
    12" Sy Snootles & Droopy McCool................
    12" Gamorrean Guard..................................

Unleashed Slave Leia
    Unleashed Darth Vader (meditation chamber)
    Unleashed Luke Skywalker (Darth Vader's Defeat)
    Unleashed Han Solo (Death Star Escape)
    Unleashed Boba Fett (Battle of Karkoon)
    Unleashed Darth Sidious (Emperor Palpatine)

And there's probably stuff I forgot.

But in my opinion:

Unleashed looks great this year! I think we need Lando, Chewie, Stormtroopers, Old Ben Kenobi, and Tusken Raiders though. More Lukes, Hans, and Princess Leia's couldn't hurt either!

12" rocks, though I hope to see the concentration on Jabba's Palace include a Weequay and Green Nikto (like Klaatu) in the near future, as well as Tessek, Oola, and Ree-Yees.

The Sandcrawler better get released! I also think it's about time that Uncle Owen got his Lars' Family Landspeeder made for those Mos Eisley dioramas we always wanted to fill with more traffic. An Imperial Landing Craft or Blockade Runner might be a pipedream, but an Escape Pod is surely possible. The Falcon could be totally remolded, and the nicest large deluxe set! The Sailbarge is a must have, and in 2004, the year Hasbro has decided to celebrate the 20th Anniversary of Return of the Jedi, I think it would make the crown piece! - especially with a skiff re-release the same year.

The figures for 2003 leave the most to be desired:

I like the Luke a lot! Next year's sounds even better though - with all the accessories and articulation, no action, scene-specific pose.

Han Solo Hoth kicks butt. I couldn't say more good things about this figure.

The Yavin Flight Crewer with the accessory pack is finally acknowledged, that's a good thing.

Fett's a good figure, and Vader looks promising.

I have to say that ones I've always wanted: Madine, Dadonna, Captain Antilles, more Ewoks including a wokling and Chief Chirpa's modern version, as well as not one, but Two (2!) Imperial Dignitaries, and a Cloud Car Pilot (or 2) really have me excited! Plus rumors of a new Jabba the Hutt, finally! I only hope we get J'Quille, Herme Odel, Klaatu, BJ, the Elom, and the Ishi Tibb, as well as some more skiff guards, too! Cantina Aliens are lacking this year, (2003), so I hope a better focus on Mos Eisley crops up between this year and next as well.

I voted for more from the Cantina and Jabba's Palace. I like what they did with Han and Luke, but I generally don't need the same characters for my scenes, even if they are new and updated versions. I want new stuff, but I'd rather they be figures of characters that have never seen immortalization in plastic before!

What do you guys think?

How does 2003's Classic Star Wars line-up suit you?

Last edited by Tycho; 03-24-2003 at 01:39 PM.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I voted for being too centered on core characters. We all know that those characters have been beat to death. They are alot of aliens and droids that need to be made. getting reissues of vintage figures is cool but does not need to be the focus of it all. Hopefully 2004 will be better for figures we have never seen before.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I'm just glad to see some resculpts of figures that badly needed it!

However, I would love to see more Jabba stuff too but I voted for awesome because the figs look, well....awesome!
    Last edited by Deoxyribonucleic; 03-24-2003 at 05:20 PM.
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

I think they all look great - no complaints.

While some new characters would be fun too I don't think there's a huge rush. Hasbro will be churning out figs for the forseeable future.

well, it looks like more of the same so far.

removable helmet vader- got one already
    snowtrooper - got one of those too
    hoth han solo - ditto. as for the blue/brown debate, i always liked the blue because i remember the blue coat on the toy more than i remember the coat in the movie.

new classic figures would be great, but the definitive, definitive, rehash, resculpt stuff has got to go.

you can have the unleashed stuff as well- no interest whatsoever.

Awesome. I'll take any classics they'll offer, core or obscure. I'm really looking forward to all of them. Hopefully, Hasbro can do something about the Canadian distribution though.
    "We shall double our efforts."

Hasbro, you forgot a-boot us Canadians.

MAKE MOFF JERJERROD!

My $.02...

I for one would LOVE to see a 12" scale Jabba! I think it is a bit over due.

I do enjoy the fact that they are resculpting figures that really did need some re-working done to them. ON the other hand I also look forward to seeing characters that have never been released before seeing the light of day in a plastic form of some sort.

I would also like to see some of the more "Classic" still scenes worked up as scene packs like the 25th Anniv. Scenes.

- Artoo and C-3PO standing together
    - Luke (Jedi) & Leia (Slave Girl) about to swing from Jabb'a Barge
    - Vader with hands on his belt and two Stormtroopers flanking him
    - Yoda & Luke sitting w/ 1 leg up from Dagobah

These are just some ideas that I think could be expanded upon to include all of the movies and not just the classics.

Scott

Lightbulb

To be honest, although I like what I'm seeing listed for release in 2003 and proposed for 2004, one thing I'd really like to see revived is the "Expanded Universe." Not only figures based on the novels, games, and comic books, but also figures based on pre-production art. Since the Ralph McQuarrie Stormtrooper is being produced, I'd love too see all of his original designs turned into figures. Imagine the more Samurai-like Darth Vader as a figure. Or how about the green-furred, pointy-eared Chewbacca? The Han Solo/Obi-Wan combined character from the script's early drafts? The more streamlined C-3P0 with the tool-encrusted R2-D2? While I've seen nice customs of these characters, true action figures (accompanied by bases that feature the Ralph McQuarrie art they are based on) would be very, very welcome by the fans, I think. Even if these were done as fan club exclusives, or offered directly by Hasbro as online figures (remember B'Omarr Monk and Kabe & Muftak?).
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]"Bring me kittens and puppies to strangle ... I'm fresh out of Imperial officers!"[/FONT]

I'll buy any Classic things they put out (except re-packs.) I'm especially excited about Han Hoth and new Boba Fett. The 3 planned 4 packs and the Target accessory packs all sound great. I'm really disgusted that we still don't have a decent R5 though. I really hope the Tie fighter happens and is a new mold. They did it with the bomber they could do it again.

Eh...

I think i would rather see characters that have yet to be made(even backround Jabba's palace creatures or something)then yet another "this time we really got it right version" of the same 6 characters.
    I have like 60 Luke Skywalker in white Tatooine outfits.
    I know each one they make is slightly better and maybe this time he comes with a Landspeeder wrench or something but damn man...
    When i was a kid i really only needed the one Luke Tatooine i had.
    I mean sure he wasn't as detailed as the later figures but in my mind i had Tatooine Luke and never imagined needing another one.
    Someonewhere along the line it became reasonable to put a joint in Han Solos knee and call him Han Solo"Cantina patron" or some such nonsense.
    Make it as good as you can the first time and include all the crap he might need later on,or sell an accessory set or something.
    I mean i know they make them better over time so for some figures it's too late but when i open "Endor raid" Han Solo and he's just 25th anniversy Han Solo with suction cup"charges" im thinking like...man i would much rather have the Imperial that opens the door to the Death Star hanger that you only see from behind.
    I'd take a Star Wars "Key Grip" figure over some of the Batman like repackaging of the same 6 guys.
    Really man...

-V-

http://www.citizenv.com