Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Darth Bane: Path of Destruction

Anyone else reading this book? I am finding it pretty interesting. Although I stay away from most EU, I like the pre-prequel stuff because its basically up for grabs in the story telling. What did/do you think of this book?
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

As is often the case for me, I am waiting for it to come to my local library. So, I'll remain spoiler-free until I start/finish it. I look forward to completing you trai- er, reading it (must be coming under the influence of the Dark Side.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I saw it at the bookstore yesterday for the first time. The dust cover intro sounded interesting.

Like Bel-Cam, I might see if my library is getting a copy.

I just finished the book and thought it was quite good. A solid story all around. Would reccomend it to you guys. When someone else is finished we can discuss it a bit. I dont want to spoil it for everyone.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.

I'm reading it now. There are several options:

we can use foeded text to discuss it

those that haven't finished this book can stay out of the thread until they've read it

the forum moderator can add "spoilers" to the title of the thread to warn folks

and remember, I have only gotten to Chapter 2 - I started reading this nary a few minutes ago.

I just looked up the title in these forums because I just loved the beginning and the fight in the mine and that bite that Dessel took out of crime Hehe.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I'm going to start discussing spoilers. I haven't finished reading even the first 7 chapters yet, but this book is really good.

Drew S. is a very talented author! I'm liking how the story is unfolding already and he has a very good grasp of the Star Wars EU of this era.

I love the arguments about who is justified in their objectives in the war - the Jedi and the Republic, or the Sith - and also how the breakdown of the fighters splits quite naturally between the Core Worlds and the Outer Rim.

What a great understanding of the Star Wars universe by this author!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

The breakdown of the war was great. It almost made ya feel like joining the Sith in their plight. I dont think you have gotten to the war scene by your last post yet, but that was some bad arsed shooting by Des.

When he took out the lookouts on the gunships at the Republic watchtower?

Yeah, that was cool.

I'm at the point where he's training on Korriban and he just used the Force to kill that other Sith Apprentice, he's been threatened by one of the top proteges, an Iridonian Zabrack*, and he's being called before the Dark Lords.

I love how he got the name Bane, by the way, and how the tradition was started (for the Sith Lords to take new names for themselves). Also the explanation for why practicing the Sith arts was a crime in the Republic.

Yes, all the reasons why Des joins the Sith are perfectly logical. It does make you angry and fire you up to join the Dark Side! Great author!

*I wish Star Wars authors would choose less obvious aliens for their characters sometimes. Darth Maul was an Iridonian Zabrack and having another one at the Sith Academy, even 4,000 years before, must be smoothed over so that it would finally make Palpatine's choice as an apprentice traditional, instead of unrealistically coincidental. "Drew" does use his own alien species - I can't fault him for that. Bane's initial rival - the first Sith apprentice he killed, was some kind of horned reptilian species. But since a Zabrack has already been prominently featured in a movie as a Sith Lord (Maul), why not choose a Gotal, a Saurin, a Givin - something not used before. I think the Zabrack choice panders to the Maul-rats. But like I said, in another book, at another time, if Palpatine chose a Zabrack because of some Sith history or tradition, then OK.

But next thing you know, they'll be riding TaunTauns...

We'll see how this will work out.

The First Battle of Ruusan was described well. I thought Kopecz was too fat to imagine him as a fighter pilot. He's illustrated a lot in the Jedi vs. Sith comics that document the Last Battle of Ruusan, you know. But heh, who am I to question one with the Dark Side? The use of a Twi'lek is pretty good and it's also pretty logical why Ryloth, a Rim planet, would side with the Sith anyway. In every Star Wars instance, they've wound up Anti-Core to their core. Ryloth is a harsh world.

Anyway, so far I really like this book.

Drew does an amazing job describing the impact Githany has on Bane when she arrives at the Sith Academy. I love how sensual she's described, and how she is so cunning at making use of her gifts. She is exactly what I suspect of most attractive women!

Meanwhile, before Bane initiates his "only 2 rule," it's so awkward seeing how the Sith train much like the Jedi, with an Academy and apprentice class, etc. It's exciting to watch Bane come up in this system, and know that in the end he is going to reject all of it and restart the Sith from scratch.

There's also some tantilizing clues as to the origin of the title "Darth" and how Bane adapts it.

And notice the flawless transition from the character we started out with as Des, to Bane and Darth Bane that he'll become. You feel like you know both Des and Bane intimately.

This is such a cool book!

Githany was a great character. She is such a b**ch too. She plays everyone she comes in contact with. Bane seeking the "origin" of the Sith is cool. My second favorite character has to be the combat teacher. (K-something, for got how to spell it)