Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bulletproof Monk

Is it me, or does anybody think this upcoming stupid movie is a big rip off of The Matrix and "Croutching Tiger"? This really looks like a sh-- movie. I don't know what Chow Young Fat was thinking when he signed onto this movie. He shoud have said "No thanks, I already did this movie when it was originally called Croutching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and it WAS a good film."

Anybody else feel this way?
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

I am interested in seeing it because I really like Chow Yun Fat. I don't really see the relation to Crouching Tiger...... other than the stunts......but that would make all kung-fu movies rip-offs of each other.

I don't know if it will be good or not, but I don't think it looks bad.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

At least it has Sean William Scott !

Man,
    this movie looks like cinematic gold compared to that upcoming "Shaolin Soccer" movie.

What
    the
    hell
    ? ? ?

I think this will have a more comedy feel. I'm looking forward to it. I watch everything Fat is in, as well as Scott (shutters remembering "Dude. Where's my Car?"), so this is a no brainer. I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

=MATT=
    * General Disclaimer- I can't spell or type- Deal with it.

I dunno, I might try ordering it on Pay-Per-View when it comes on then, just to see how Burt Ward's team can do with their Special F/X. This is the first movie they're fully doing the effects for.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Looks more like a rip off of Rush Hour to me.
    "May the force be with you, always"

I think it's barowing from a lot of movies. The Matrix comes to mind as does Rush Hours ( I don't see how you can compair this movie to a movie that takes place in China many many years ago).

It does look silly. The cast just dosen't seem to work for me. I like them all in other movies, but they just don't seem to go togeather. I'm sorry, but I don't buy SWS as a action star at all. He's still Stifler .

I may rent this one, but I won't pay theater price for it.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

This is yet another example of Hollywood being completely incompetent on how to cast Asian stars. How do stars like Chow Yun Fat and Jet Li go from doing Hard Boiled, Crouching Tiger..., Fist of Legend, and Hero to stuff like this?

Worse yet, the makers of films like Bulletproof Monk love to engage in such ridiculous pandering to the HK action fans.

Case in point: Anyone see in the trailer how Chow Yun Fat gets to hold two guns? The filmakers are probably thinking "Ooh, just what the fans want!" No, the fans want CYF to take those two guns and mow down a room of 250 bad guys. I'd put money on the fact that it won't happen in Bulletproof Monk.

Whew, okay, that rant is over.

Believe it or not, Bulletproof Monk is actually based on a popular and successful japanese comic that I'm sure pre-dates both The Matrix and Crouching Tiger. The special effects and action sequences may have been influenced by both of those films, but honestly...name a recent movie with special effects that haven't been influenced in some way or another by either. Never having actually read the comics (not a huge fan of the manga usually), I can't truly speak of how long the story had been in print before Matrix and Crouching Tiger, but I have known of Bulletproof Monk since well before either film was released.

Well, I went to see this......

....and it was awful. Just awful
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"