Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thumbs up Wave 3: R5-DL (R5-D4), SK-Z38, and G2-9T Revealed!!

StarWars.Com finally posted pictures of the 3rd wave of Star Tours figures. They list the R5 Unit as R5-D4, but it's the second head, from the inside of the Sandcrawler. Not the three eyed one from the Jawa sale.
    Star Tours Collection III - March 25, 2003

Last year, Hasbro Inc. and Disney partnered to make available exclusive action figures derived from the Star Tours attraction, the popular Star Wars-themed ride starring R2-D2 and C-3PO. The first two collections contained three figures each based on droids seen in and around the ride. Here's a look at the third collection, which will be available at Walt Disney WorldŽ Resort, DisneylandŽ Resort, and DisneylandŽ Resort Paris this year.
    This collection includes three droids, each sold separately.

R5-D4 is a down-on-his luck astromech that is first seen in A New Hope with an explosively faulty motivator. While he has gotten away from the Jawas, the carbon scoring on his shell reveals he's still working a hard existence. This edition of R5-D4, true to its theme park incarnation, features a unique head design.

SK-Z38 was originally one of the animatronic birds found in the Splash MountainŽ attraction. Its avian skin was removed, and the droid was retooled for use in Star Tours. Disney maintenance crews commonly refer to SK-Z38 as the "bird droid."

G2-9T looks very similar to G2-4T, one of the droids from Collection I. This Collection III droid also started off as a Disney animatronic bird; it was originally one of the geese from the America Sings attraction. G2-9T has blue detailing, making him different from his gold-detailed G2-4T cousin.
    http://www.starwars.com/collecting/n...s20030325.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	r5-d4's evil twin.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	36.0 KB 
ID:	5538  
    Last edited by Beast; 03-25-2003 at 06:55 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I'm definitely gonna try to get that R5 unit, he looks SWEEET. The weathering is also very nice as well. The SK one is very weird looking, but still pretty cool. I'm suprised they'd actually reissue a Star Tours fig, but it's still pretty cool.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Well it looks okay but the picture quality is weak at best. Pity the optic sensors don't have a paint app. The other two are weak figures, the bird one just seems a bit pointless andsthe G2 droid looks no different to the previous release to me. perhaps a little more paint but otherwise exactly the same figure. I suppose you could say that about astro droids though. Good to see we finally get the R5 droid. I'll definately be after a few of those. The black splodge is a bit too black and solid so hopefully it'll be a bit softer on the final version. Not bad though. Mark2D2 should be pleased that we at least get an R5 droid. Not the one he wants but the other head can't be far behind perhaps.

Don's speak for me, Jargo!

Just kidding.

Mark2d2 is pleased. Although I must say what is up with that nasty black glob of gobbly-gook? I too, hope that is toned down a bit. And, yes, the eyes seem curiously unpainted . . . Then again, these are prototypes, so perhaps nothing is set in stone.

At any rate --- at long last an R5-D4. Not the one I really, REALLY want. But seeing how Hasbro loves to repaint and reissue droids like crazy lately -- no complaints! Just a happy observation -- I trust we'll get a couple of cool variations pretty quick. And maybe my little dream figure at last.

The other figs look like really great representations of characters I find vaguely annoying. But I definitely do remember that odd duck like thing from my visit to Star Tours . . .

PS --- Nice to see that the head looks a bit more properly to scale now on this R5. Oh, happy day . . . .

Here's a nice gallary of pictures of R5-DL. The black carbon scoring and damage is a bit much, but it does correspond to the actual droid in the attraction. I hope they cut back a bit on the ammount of black paint on the final released version though.

http://www.astromech.net/gallery/astromechs/R5-DL.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Cool link Jar Jar Binks!

You're wrong though in your initial post. The R5 inside the Sandcrawler is the same at the three eyed on at the sale. I just watched it again. The very first shot, you do see only two eyes --- but it's just the angle of the head. A moment later --- same scene --- you see him again and he has three eyes.

Who cares though? I'm just stoked he's being done at all!

I'm happy and POed at the same time. I love the R5, but I totaly thought Z38 was going to be that Jabba's palace droid with the bug eyes. I guess he is at the Euro Disney. Then Hasbro throws another rehash at us. In this case, 1 out of 3 is OK because of R5. Did it say if they are going to be packed on a POTJ or Saga card?
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

SW.com didn't give that info. Just that these figures would be coming "this year" :shrug:

Originally posted by EMPEROR JARGO
    SW.com didn't give that info. Just that these figures would be coming "this year" :shrug:
    Thanks EJ Hey I have a off topic question for you if you mind. As I was looking at your reply, my wife asked what all your Orange stuff means in your sig? Just wondering.
    [FONT=Tahoma]I was born at night, but not last night.[/FONT]
    You Shouldn't believe everything that you read.
    (Like my posts)

Um, I just have a thing for orange stuff. It's a positive color completely at odds with my apparent and inherently negative outlook on life. A paradoxical topsy turvy self parodying muse............ :happy:

I have no idea matey, it just struck me as cool to use orange. and I had to change the name of my website (under reconstruction) from the new empire because the new empire is a roleplaying website for star wars people which I didn't know about. The first thing that came to mind was orange. That's all. I am nuts for orange things though, dunno why, something from childhood probably. Joy or trauma or whatever, orange just makes me feel comfortable and warm and happy. My bedroom incidentaly is deep orange like a coccoon of warmth. In fact my whole house is orange, every room in different combinations and shades eggyolk yellow through to almost red vermillion. orange is the new white...

Yes, I know I'm completely barking mad, but life is nicer from this side of the sanity fence.

That astrodroids site is cool. Liked the bit about R4-P17 and Don Bies trying to get George to change the name to R2, that was funnee.