Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do they determine clonetrooper rank?

Is it just a lottery?
    (waves hand in general direction) "Hey, you there, you're the squad leader."
    "Me sir?"
    "Um... sure, whatever."

Are they specially-trained for leadership duty? If so, what happens if the leaders are killed in action? Is there a lower rank that just steps up and takes over, and if so, where does he get HIS leadership training from?

This could apply to Battle Droids too I suppose, but they weren't exactly a raving success thanks to command structure failings. So what makes an soldier in an army of the same guy over and over different than another so that they receive rank and alternate duties?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Maybe they have a genetic coding they add to specific ones they want designated as officers?????

On second thought, I am not going to try and come up with excuses for this dungpile.

Your guess is as good as mine.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

I'm guessing that they all get the same amount of training and such, but the first ones out or the ones that seem to adapt faster (just because they're clones doesn't mean normal DNA anomilies can't pop up) could be given the Clone rank.

Or maybe they play spin the rank bottle
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

According to some of the Prequel Defende...er, um, supporters around here, officers are different from regular troops in this universe, so maybe not all the faces under those masks look alike.

Yeah.

Originally posted by stillakid
    According to some of the Prequel Defende...er, um, supporters around here, officers are different from regular troops in this universe, so maybe not all the faces under those masks look alike.

Yeah.
    This is one time your sig. comes into good play.

I haven't got a clue. Maybe the first ones out were made officers due to senority.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

I'd say it's simple -- rank was randomly assigned. While all the clone kiddies got the same basic training, the ones selected to be grunts received additional training on following orders or something, while the company commanders and platoon leaders were given specialized leadership training.

Well, I know who didn't make officer, that one clone who's looking around angrily during the eating scene. There's an insubordinate if I ever saw one.
    Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis

Maybe he was an officer or NCO, and was looking around to make sure his troops were eating quietly.

Just because their clones, doesn't mean they all had the exact same mental capacity. They did train and test them for 10 years. Both small genetic deviations and just naturally excelling over another clone in certain areas could have led to those clones being marked for ranking positions. Remeber, we're talking about clones of Jango's body, not his memories and training.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Originally posted by Anakin2121
    I'd say it's simple -- rank was randomly assigned. While all the clone kiddies got the same basic training, the ones selected to be grunts received additional training on following orders or something, while the company commanders and platoon leaders were given specialized leadership training.
    Ok, that's what I first thought as well, and it's supported by the official site ("The clones designated for command duty were specifically trained in that capacity") but this would leave major gaps in the chain of command if something happened to a commander. These clones were bred for - among other things - compliance and diminished independence, if a leader is taken out, there's nobody with the training, drive, or prior experiences to step up and take over. They claim to have a "spark of independent and creative thinking", but that and the basic-soldier training don't seem like enough to lead a squad of other troopers successfully in battle.

JJB, I never got any indication that these clones weren't anything but identical in every way. In fact, according to the non-EU listing in the SW.com databank... (the clone troopers are) "identical in form, physical prowess, stamina and mental capacity". Therefore, I still don't get how this would work because if they lose a commander in battle, the troops under him would be totally lost like a chicken with its head cut off.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.