View Poll Results: What version of the Classic Trilogy would you buy on DVD?

Voters
1423. You may not vote on this poll
  • The original releases, as first shown in theaters

171 12.02%
  • The final refinement of the special editions for DVD in 2006

239 16.80%
  • Both

1,007 70.77%
  • Neither: I don't want the DVDs.

6 0.42%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I think they should put both versions on DVD. I would like to see the Biggs scene entered into the Movie. When I read the origional comic book, it was cool to learn about Biggs and his interest in the imperial acadmey -- and Luke wanting to join in the fight. There is a lot to be said there -- I think it is time to put it on screen (past time actually). The scene wit Greedo shooting first is a joke -- this should have been left alone. Han was just protecting himself; we preceived a threat -- and DELT with it!

The SE edition was good forthe most part -- but I think it there was someway to mesh them all together -- into ONE film -- I would wait till 2006 to get that effect!
    JediBoulton --
    Collecting SW Since 1978. -- Still going strong......

re-hashing my opinion ... I voted "The original releases, as first shown in theaters." I couldn't care less about the SE version. I would live with the idea of a box set that included both on seperate disks, though one set would grow very dusty.

BRING ON BOTH!!!

I voted "both". But if Lucas desides to stick to his guns (which he has every right to do), I will gladly buy the Definative version in 2006!

[COLOR=crimson)LONG LIVE THE EXPANDED UNIVERSE[/COLOR]
    “That is not what the Empire would have done, Commander. What the Empire would have done was build a super colossal Yuuzhan Vong-killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn’t have worked. They’d forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that’s what the Empire would have done”
    - Han Solo to Commander Vana Dorja in “Destiny’s Way” by Walter Jon Williams

I want every version of the films released. Beru with the different voice, Maul without blood, VHS version of TPM, etc, etc, etc. I would be happy with four discs per movie, if it were to come to pass.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Originally posted by Tycho
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Biggs with Luke on Tatooine is a seriously cool scene, but it doesn't belong in the movie, not without changing it anyway.

The original movie was going to open up with Luke tuning a moisture vaporator with Treadwell, when he breaks down, and Luke notices the flashes of light in the sky (which even given the size of a SD, it'd be hard to make out during the daytime - especially on a planet with 2 suns).

He then rushes to Anchorhead to tell his friends that a battle is going on. We then cut to the blockade runner battle.

It changes the tempo of the Classic films - always opening up with a SD - and it changes the mood.

You go from E3, where it's really dark and the bad guys are kicking butt, to a farm kid and some hope or interest in a new young hero - before you see things are still dark (like when Captain Antilles offers his last breath of resistance to the Dark Lord!)

I think I'm glad they shot the Anchorhead stuff, but it can stay out of the film cut, itself.

Jabba in Docking Bay 94 was a whole 'nother thing. That was great to add back in, because by that time, the character of Han Solo had already been established, and Greedo had spoken of Jabba before he died.

Bail Organa would not be a good thing perhaps, because your sympathy should be with Leia, remembering him, like she was, not looking right at him and another "ooh - there's ILM proving they can rip a planet apart - even with surface shots." We saw that done well in Star Trek: Generations. I think ILM did with Star Trek what they had wished they could do with Alderaan. Too bad it wasn't a great Star Trek movie. (in the likes of "First Contact" I meant)

Anyway, I've offered a bit more to discuss.
    What if the Holiday Special was on the disk, then we could select those Cantina shots in the menu so they appeared during ANH!

I say both too. In terms of giving people a sense of where it all came from and where it all ended up, compare and contrast. As a creative individual i see sense in showing the origins of a work of art by allowing the viewer to see the sketch and the over painting, the roughed out pieces on other canvases. If george is a true film maker he can see how releasing both would allow him to educate people about his methodology. He is entitled to rework his oevre, but by limiting access to only the latest overpaint, the latest repaint, he denies the world a chance to judge his work for what it really is. He shows insecurities and embarrassment at his earlier efforts where there is no need. His first work in the saga is an exemplary piece of craftsmanship for aspiring film makers. How is only showing a piece of digitised and digitally painted tinkering going to inspire? all it serves is to inspire computer artists but if he wants to keep people interested in making real movies, then what does he stand to lose by showing the original cut including the cut scenes?
    The evolutionary process of this monster saga is what makes it so appealing to many. The decisions behind the trims and the omissions are intriguing and it's only by seeing those pieces of the jigsaw and learning about them and their place in the saga's history that a person can truly take in the scope, depth and breadth of the piece as a whole.
    Releasing the original cut with commentary and archives alongside the newer version with suped up mixed up cleaned up shine makes the whole of the experience seem more appetising than a pure commercial release of just the latest version with all the latest fad and whim edits.
    Last edited by Jargo; 03-31-2003 at 03:59 PM.

i want the originals on DVD. if that means having to buy the special edition as well so be it. i'm just looking forward to the time that at one setting all 6 films can be viewed, back-to-back-to-back.

I absolutely want both, and believe me, whether it all comes in one box, or sold separately, people will buy!

Take PJ's Lord of the Rings series. This is a brilliant marketting plan, as people have the options of either the theatrical release, as well as the Extended Version, AND these releases have come out within a year of the movie in theaters! Mr. Lucas, we KNOW you can do this.

Lucasfilm might as well get in on the profits for the Classic version, since one can easily purchase pirated Chinese versions of them on eBay, or from private dealers who have the equipment to burn them. That already is a note that people WILL buy them, plus, it would be so nice to see Han Solo once again the mercenary he was by shooting Greedo and ONLY shootinh Greedo. Come to think of it, the original uncut version of the Cantina scene had shots of a barmaid on Han's lap as well. Talk about violating Lucasfilm's PG ratings!

People will also buy the "final" version as well, for the special effects, and hopefully for the restored Biggs scenes, but we shouldn't leave the original version we all grew up on, to the dustbin of the VHS.

I really don't know why it's taking Lucas so long to release these, since he cranked out Episodes I and II within the year. Oh well.
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A. Edison

Originally posted by Maximillian Phokas

I really don't know why it's taking Lucas so long to release these, since he cranked out Episodes I and II within the year. Oh well.
    He's waiting until he finishes ruining the continuity of the OT so he can go back and "fix" it all at once.

Originally posted by stillakid
    He's waiting until he finishes ruining the continuity of the OT so he can go back and "fix" it all at once.
    Right, at this rate, Jar Jar will shoot Greedo, the Cantina Band will be replaced by the Backstreet Boys, and the Death Star will be one gigantic walkie-talkie.

oh yes, and let's not forget editing the dialogue to "...years ago, you served my father during Attack of the Clones"
    "If we all did the things we are capable of doing, we would literally astound ourselves." Thomas A. Edison