Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What IS a Neubian?

There's a scene in Chasing Amy when Banky jokingly asks "What's a Neubian?" There's a Neubian in TPM, but CA was released before TPM. What are the Neubians he's talking about from?
    "Dance your asteroids off..."

Nubia is/was a kingdom and general geographic area in Africa, located on the Nile.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

In TPM, a Nubian is the name of the hyperdrive engine on the Queen's Royal Starship. As for the Nubian in Chasing Amy. Check your handy dictionary.

Main Entry: Nu·bi·an
    Pronunciation: 'nü-bE-&n, 'nyü-
    Function: noun
    Date: 15th century
    1 a : a native or inhabitant of Nubia b : a member of one of the group of dark-skinned peoples that formed a powerful empire between Egypt and Ethiopia from the 6th to the 14th centuries
    2 : any of several languages spoken in central and northern Sudan
    - Nubian adjective

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Now I get it
    "Dance your asteroids off..."

And Jedi is the most insulting installment when....

for reasons known to fellow View Askew fans i shall refrain from completing that quote....but it's so tempting to quote the entire scene. Argh!!
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    In TPM, a Nubian is the name of the hyperdrive engine on the Queen's Royal Starship.

Actually in TPM, Watto refers to the Queens royal starship as a Nubian, meaning it's make! Like a Corellian starship or cruiser is from or made in/on Corellia, A Nubian starship would be made in/on or from Naboo!

It would be appropriate to mention however, that Europeans were not afraid of the sun and hiding in caves during the height of the Nubian Empire. The Roman Empire had already come and gone, if it ever went entirely.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I have to admit that I don't really understand that last one JON9000. WAS there a time in history that europeans were afraid of the sun and hiding in caves? What does that have to do with Nubians and the roman empire? I'm confused.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Nous bien. Ze French term roughly translated as "We good."
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Originally posted by RooJay
    I have to admit that I don't really understand that last one JON9000. WAS there a time in history that europeans were afraid of the sun and hiding in caves? What does that have to do with Nubians and the roman empire? I'm confused.
    No prob, RooJay,

The question "What's a Nubian?" was posed by Jason Lee's character in Chasing Amy to Hooper X, a militant comic book writer, during a minority comic creator's panel. Hooper had just finished a long diatribe about how minorities were under-represented in the world of sci-fi fantasy or had been relegated to lame roles. While going off on the Star Wars universe, he called Vader a Nubian God, at which point Lee asked "What's a Nubian?" Hooper cut him off and continued the diatribe.

Anyway, while talking about his own comic book with a strong black leading character, Hooper said the character's name was Maliqua, and that he was descended from the first Civilization in Africa, when "you Europeans were hiding in caves all afraid of the sun..."

Oops. I thought he was talking about the Nubian Empire. Maybe my ancestors were hding in caves!!!

Any ways, go see this movie if you haven't. That scene alone is worth the price of a rental!!!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car