Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Do your grandparents bicker like R2 & 3PO?

For as long as I can remember, the bulk of my grandparents' conversations with each other sounded like the arguments between R2 and 3PO - they've even pointed it out themselves on occasion. I remember back in the early '80s, my grandma who is 4'11" used to wear a windbreaker all the time, and once she put up the hood while we were going to dinner... my grandpa saw this and called her "E.T." for like 6 months after that, she didn't find this particularly funny so she'd get all bitter and bicker with him about it which would lead to arguing over other stuff with that same sort of banter and name-calling as our favorite droid duo.

So are my grandparents the only ones out there like this? Somehow, I doubt it.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

My grandparents probably wouldn't even know who 3P0 and R2 are, and I've never seen them bicker before.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

Mine sound kind of like R2 and 3PO in Spanish
    "Dance your asteroids off..."

I have no grampas

however, I'm sure they would have but it's a role reversal. Both my grandmas would be R2 because they don't put up with crap.

JT, your grandparent sound GREAT! I bet they are fun people.
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

My grandparents are pretty cool. Both are geniuses but in different fields - science and art - so they rarely see eye to eye on anything, but never let their arguments go too far (another R2/3PO similarity, I guess ). My grandpa turned 90 in January but he's still active mentally & physically and routinely taunts my grandma, especially now that they go to Emeritus college and have so much more to talk about. In fact, they're the only still-married couple in my immediate family, although to be honest, their relationship's success might have something to do with the fact that even though they see each other every day at almost every waking hour, they haven't lived together for over 30 years.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well,when Grandma was still alive,her and Grandpa both reminded me of the relationship 3PO and R2 have.One makes a little comment,the the other would bicker right back.It was all good natured though.

Honestly,I can see now why Grandma was like 3PO,and why she always drank Alka-Seltser(sp?).
    Treat your stepmother with respect Pantera, or you'll be sleeping in the streets!!

I never got to meet my grandads but apparently my grandma and grandpa on the maternal side did bicker. My grandad was a bit of a flybynite and used to fritter away money they hadn't got which drove my grandma demented. he was a ladies man without any of the smutty stuff or dirty shenanigans. Faithful as a dog but soft as a brush and my grandma was the logical one and they would witter away at each other about nothing much. Good naturedly, but just verbally duelling.

My grandma on the paternal side was an evil witch of a woman and her husband died young to get away from her

My grandma and grandpa ARE C-3PO and R2-D2, respectively.
    "Whatever you do, take care of your shoes."

Actually jedibrian, Ben Burtt who made R2's beeps and whistles and chirps had a script he made up of R2's responses so he could tailor the sounds to express emotions and such. So we do sort of know what R2 said. In fact in the small book that Ben burtt wrote - the galactic phrasebook he talks about this subject. He also publishes some of the dialog he wrote for r2 to express.

Sorry to be a pedant but... ner ner ni ner ner

Re: Do your grandparents bicker like R2 & 3PO?

Originally posted by JediTricks
    my grandma who is 4'11"
    She would legally be a midget.(or is it 4'10", my friend's grandma was the legal midget height) So I can see the E.T. reference.
    But that is cool that your gramps would even know E.T. to say that. My gramps wouldn't know what you are talking about.

"EAT-TING!?!?!?!?!? EAT-TING!?!!?!?!?!?!!?! you do too much of it!!!
    I don't eat much!!!!!!"
    Last edited by scruffziller; 04-06-2003 at 05:53 PM.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!