Peter David has Turtle Power!

(Yes, I just had to parody EP's title for the Batman thread, in case anyone's wondering.)

Dreamwave's official site has an short article and some pictures from the upcoming Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles comic. Though it's being produced by Dreamwave and is supposed to be in more or less the same continuity as the horrible new cartoon, I'm excited about this because it's written by Peter (The Incredible Hulk, Aquaman, "Skippy the Jedi Droid") David, bywhom I have yet to read a story that was less than excellent!

I'm wondering, though, what's the status of the original TMNT? Eastman and Laird more or less sold their creations out about 10-15 years ago, resulting in a stream of lackluster stories only briefly interrupted by E&L's "City Under Siege" storyline (which ended the inital Mirage Studios series) and Erik Larsen's Savage Dragon crossover. The last I saw of them, about 3-4 years back, they were being published by Image. Raphael was missing an eye and wore the late Shredder's armor, Casey and April were married, Donatello had to wear a cybernetic exoskeleton, Leonardo was still missing a hand, and Mikey was still Mikey. Okay, come to think of it, maybe it's better that that continuity finally faded away.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Re: Peter David has Turtle Power!

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    The last I saw of them, about 3-4 years back, they were being published by Image. Raphael was missing an eye and wore the late Shredder's armor, Casey and April were married, Donatello had to wear a cybernetic exoskeleton, Leonardo was still missing a hand, and Mikey was still Mikey. Okay, come to think of it, maybe it's better that that continuity finally faded away.
    Uuuuuhhhh! Well things sure have changed. I have 1 thru about 25 of the original series and know nothing of what you mentioned.
    This announcement has been brought to you by a generous grant from the Ranting Jonna Foundation
    "Helping to improve your life through nonsensical ravings for over 35 years"

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Well, after that, Donatello moved to Vegas and joined a showgirls revue at the Bellagio. He moved in with a stripper named Belinda and helps raise her two young children. he also has a obsession with minature golf.

Rapheal retired the whole Shredder look and started a cable cooking show, which was cancelled due to low ratings. He then penned a mystery novel which was optioned by a studio. he is currently working on the screenplay.

Leonardo traipsed thru Europe for a year and a half, then invested in a marshmallow factory in Budapest. he is currently living off the dividends in a snazzy little flat in London where he spends most of his time helping to restore vintage double decker buses.

April and Casey have a two story in the suburbs abd three beautiful children. He is the manager of a local carwash and she works as the weekend anchor at the 3rd biggest TV station in the area.

Mikey? Well, he was last seen in Malaysian prison after a run in with some underage girls. So, yeah. he's still Mikey.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Horrible new cartoon? How is the new cartoon horrible. It follows the Mirage storyline that people have been wanting to see for years. As well as mixing in quite a bit of the first TMNT movie, and a bit from the old cartoon and Archie comics. Episode 10 is a week a way, with the first revealtion of the Shredder. Horrible, I think not.

As for the original TMNT, Eastman sold his rights to Laird several years ago. They bearly talk anymore, so it was probably over what happened with their charecters. Laird hates the old cartoon and what Image did to his creations. He's also a pretty rude guy, and a bit of a jerk from the way he answers fan questions. While on the other hand, Eastman always enjoys answering fan questions about the old series and such. Seems the selling should have went the other way.

Laird is back writing the book under the Mirage label. The entire Image continuity was wiped out of existance. For good reason. Larson got a chance to completely destroy the TMNT charecters when he got a chance at it. Thankfully what he did was completly thrown out of the current continuity. The new series basically picks up from TMNT vol. 2, which was the last Mirage run series. The Shredder is still dead, atleast for now.

So you never have to worry about the following Image induced lameness. A quick recap of what happened to them in Image.

Splinter never mutated into a bat monster, with rabies and went insane, biting people and mutating them in more bat monsters. Leo never got his hand cut off/bitten off. Raphael never got half his face blown off, and then became the new Shredder. And Donny never fell out of a helicopter, dieing and becoming a shapechanging robot. I still find it funny that Larson never mutilated Mikey. Must have been his favorite charecter.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 04-04-2003 at 10:58 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I remember only up to #18 (maybe?) of the original series (I guess that was Mirage publications). Back then, it was a violent and profanity-filled comic, where the only way to tell each TMNT apart was by which weapon was used. Will we see Fugitoid or Cerebus? What was Shredder's army of ninjas called? Foot? Hand? Spleen? (I think it was some body part).

I can recall running (OK, slowly limping ) home from school during the first mini series cartoon to see what would happen next. Didn't care about the Archie series comic, or the In Color ones either.
    "That's what Sheev said."

I saw two episodes of the new cartoon, and one of them was such a blatant re-hash of the movie, it pretty much soured my opinion of the other episode, which was probably better than I give it credit for. I'll give it mediocre. Just my opinion, though.

As for Leo's hand, didn't that happen in the first Mirage series? Or was that Raph that happened to? I'm pretty sure one of them lost his hand in the first part of City Under Siege, which ended the first series.

Too bad about Laird being a poo-poo-stinky-breath. I had no idea.
    Tommy, close your eyes.