Hybrid View

Question A way 4 electronics 2 work...

Hello guys!

I'm all new here so this will be my very first collecting thread !!

The electronics of my vintage FALCON and TROOP TRANSPORT don't work anymore ...

Before I throw the towel, if there are some smart folks who can help, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT CAN I SIMPLY TRY 2 make 'em work again!!!

Thanks a lot!
    "I'm ready for anything."
    [font=courier]Luke Skywalker[/font]

"Tell me my Life is about to begin tell me that I'm a Hero!"
    [font=courier]Genesis, The Knife[/font]

I wish I still had the Falcon. Was one of my favorite toys. Have you tried replacing the batteries in them? After that try to move the connectors for the batteries around. It just might be old and has quit working too. Just a few suggestions.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Are the sounds just muffled and scratchy -- or do they not work at all?

Have you tried taking them apart and wiggling the connections around? Is there any rust present? If there is and you are any good with a saudering gun -- you could replace the contacts with a new one -- like from a new ship or something.
    JediBoulton --
    Collecting SW Since 1978. -- Still going strong......

I've gotten every vintage vehicle of mine working. Give me some time to write down what I've done and I'll post it.
    Last edited by LusiferSam; 04-10-2003 at 10:47 PM.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Ok first off if you do anything to your toys do it of your own accorded, I won't be responsible if you screw things up. Tools and supplies that I used are a Phillips head screw driver, white vinegar, a small bowl or two (for the vinegar) and fresh batteries.
    To begin with cheek the batteries contacts. The contacts should be bright and shinny, like a new penny. If dull or corroded try soaking in vinegar. The acid in vinegar helps clean the copper. To soak the contacts you may need to open the vehicle open to at them. The Falcon is the easiest of all the vehicles to fix, once open the contacts are easy isolate. The Troop Transporter's contacts on the other is harder to clean, so you might try a paper towel soaked in vinegar. With clean contacts try the batteries again.
    Next is the motor. Most of the vintage vehicles have a small 3 V DC motor (I think). I've found a little vinegar in/on the motor helps (I won't explain why). The motor maybe burned out and if you know what your doing you might try replacing it. This is not something I have done (yet). Also if the motor hasn't been ran for a while it might be slow to start, be patient.
    The next is for the Transporter only. The Transporter is the hardest to fix, one look inside will tell you why. The sound system is a plastic record, the more its used the more it wears out. Also the speaker is plastic and won't work unless set in the right place. The turn table turns via a rubber band going back to the motor. The band is next to impossible to replace if broken (if I remember right).
    Other bits of advice are go slow and think about what your about doing and about to do. I like put the screws back in the place they came from, so I keep track of each. And good luck.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"

Thanks a lot Lusifersam !! Really appreciate it. I'll see what I can do and will give u some news through this thread.

Is Lusifersam stands 4 the Pink Floyd tune??

You nailed it. LusiferSam comes for the Floyd tune Lucifer Sam (one of my favorites). If you have any questions or need clarification please ask, I'm more then happy to try and help.

LuciferSam!

Falcon works again !
    Soaked the parts in vinegar, they were full of that blue corosive stuff. Like u said, very easy 2 fix!

Transport won't work anymore ...
    Rubber band's broken. Tried 2 replace it with a very small elastic but it didn't fit. Strange thing, the motor started 2 work again while I was opening the toy . It is very noisy then. Very interesting toy, played so many times with when I was a kid...one of the vintage line's best IMHO. Kind of first ever Expanded Universe thing. I'll definetely look 4 parts on Ebay!

Once again thanks a lot Cat fm Hell !!

That's great news about your Falcon, I figured you'd have good luck with it. Before you write off the Transporter I thought of one last thing. You might check your local hardware store and see if they have a rubber o-ring or gasket about the same size and/or shape as your broken band. Again getting it in there maybe easier said then done. But just a thought.