Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"

Talking Wheeljack Lives! ( The Transformers Comic Thread)

Because Roojay was upset with us all cluttering up the Jim Lee/Batman thread with talks of Transformers and G.I Joe...

Anyway. I never picked up the new Dreamwave TF limited series last year, but I saw the new #1. Vol II on the rack and splurged and bought it and took it home and read it and (there are no page numbers darnit) on the page where Prowl is convincing Optimus to send him out on recon, in the fifth panel ( to the left of the circular panel) you can clearly see Gears, Mirage, Bumblebee, and WHEELJACK. I was under the assumption he had bitten the big one in last years limited series.

By the way. I liked how all the triple changers are working for Shockwave, including Broadside and the dune buggy Autobot (forgot his name).

I also picked up The War Within #1 and 2. I can't find 3 and 4 but they also have 5 and 6 and I'll probably snag those when I go in next week to get my monthly dose of Bat. Is this a limited series, too?

And since I'm a johhny come lately in the TF dept. Can anyone tell me when this is supposed to take place in terms of the Marvel Comics continuity? I have all 80 issues from series 1, as well as the 12 (?) from Generation2, but I don't really remember what happened towards the end there. Does this all take place after that? or did they rearrange continuity again? I need to pick up the GN of the first Dreamwave series.

And finally. G.I Joe/ Transformers crossover? Hmmmmmmm...I hope this doesn't mean Goldbug again.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

I've not picked up the new #1. War Within was excellent until the end--it sorta fizzled out. Very disappointing, since The Great and Mighty God of All Things Transformers, Simon Furman, was writing. I understand the new series has another writer replacing that Saracini hack, so my hopes are a tad higher.

As for continuity, no connection. Period. Dreamwave claims that legal problems kept them from using anything from Sunbow or Marvel. I think it's supposed to roughly follow the first season or two of the cartoon (with some obvious differences, such as the Dinobots already being around), with the Ark being destroyed a few years afterwards.

Glad to hear Wheeljack's okay. It was a crappy death he suffered. Now if Superion can reassemble himself after taking a nuke down the throat. . . .

9 out of 10 assorted bears and otters agree: Wheeljack rules!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I likey volume 2!

Wheeljack can been seen THREE times in the first issue.

War Within is/was a limited series. The tpb is coming out soon, if it already hasn't.

The Ark is still around. It was in the new issue.

Okay. . . This book is everything volume 1 wasn't. I'm waiting for #2 in a way I've not looked forward to a Transformers comic since reading #79 of the original series years ago.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

SO R THESE TF COMICS WORTH PICKING UP...I HAVE SEEN QUITE A FEW AT MY LOCAL COMIC SHOP AND HAVE DEBATED ON PICKING THEM ALL UP.

I'd have to say you definitely should read this new series and The War Within (even if it fizzled at the end, it was a great read overall). Unfortunately, to figure out what's going on in this series, you'll need the first Dreamwave Transformers comic (and the epilogue included in the trade paperback of series one is pretty useful, too, but you can just read it in your local bookstore if you want).

To expand on my earlier post, here's some of my favorite aspects:
    1) The "voice" factor. I know if sounds really silly, but if I'm reading a well-characterized comic book, I can hear the characters' voices in my head. (Sorta like how I imagine a lot of us can hear the "dun dun dun DUN dun, dun-dun dun da dun!" when we read good SW books.) Volume I was pretty bland for me--almost all the characters were interchangeable, with no knowledge of the characters demonstrated. But Volume II is dead on. Except for some of the characters who never showed up in earlier comics and cartoons (like the Autobot triple changers), every character is perfect.

2) Grimlock back where he belongs! The big Rex turning traitor in Volume I was the single worst thing about a lousy story.

3) Cameos by Scourge and Ultra Magnus. Why is Magnus allied with the 'Cons? Why is Scourge not?

4) Starscream and Shockwave both turning on Megatron, and both for different reasons.

5) The wonder of who this mysterious new leader of the "Cybertronians" is that Shockwave's working for. Thunderwing? Bludgeon? Ratbat? Unicron? Primus?

6) That sweet cliffhanger ending that mirrored one of the most classic scenes from the movie. Anyone else thinking that Megatron will be transformed by Unicron into Galvatron and go pick up Scourge on Earth?

Also, [DSS]Pedr0, pick up the trade paperbacks of the last 25 issues of the Marvel run of Transformers if you haven't read them. Completely different continuity, but one of the best epic stories ever told in mainstream comics.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I agree. The thing that sucked about the end of the Marvel run, was NOBODY WAS READING IT. Circulation numbers were so low, I think me and El Chuxter were the only two who stuck it out until the end. When issue 80 came out, I was so bummed because Transformers (#41) was my very first "collected" comic (I had comics lying around, but I'd never thought of investing on a monthly basis until #41). To see it end was heartbreaking. I need to go back and reread all my old TFs.

As for the new series, which cover do you buy? Autobot or Decepticon? I picked up Autobot this time.

5) I was under the impression, Shockwave was talking to Ultra Magnus.

I have to admit my weakness and say that I've bought both versions of all the comics, simply because the choice bewteeen them is too hard. I also bought 2nd and 3rd printing of Vol 1 #1, not because the book was any good, but because both of them blew away the original printing's covers.

Magnus, huh? He might be the one in charge. I know that was definitely his arm in one panel later on. I think, since it appears Unicron is going to rear his ugly head very soon, this leader will probably be an Autobot, most likely one closely associated with the Matrix. As to why Magnus might turn "evil," I can't imagine yet, but he's always proven to be a weak, misguided leader when in power.

I wonder if ol' Kup will show up soon. That oughta be cool.

EP, I had to check all the comic shops in town to find Marvel's #80. The comic shop I normally went to sold out of it the day it shipped. It's a shame, because Andrew Wildman is my all-time favorite TF artist, followed closely by Geoff Senior. Hopefully one or both might do something, if even just a cover, for the new series?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Wildman did rock. Every time an issue came out I would think "This is his last issue, because one of the other comics is going to see his kickass style and lure him away to draw Spiderman or X-Men or whatever..."

I bought the TPB for the first series. Apparently it picks up after an undetermined timeline because Spike is in it. And Sparkplug is dead. Good. He always annoyed me on the cartoon. Him and his goofy yellow boots and the same "contruction worker" outfir day in and day out. Except that one time they picked him up from the airport and he was wearing a suit. But no explanation why...
    But now that I've read the TBP I have even more questions. Like why are certain transformers in it and others are not. Grimlock shows up, but none of the other Dinobots. Superion and Devastator show up, but none of the other gestalts. Not to mention the fact that they were doing covers with characters who weren't anywhere to be seen in the books. Menasor? Red Alert? Inferno? The second wave of Autobot small cars (like Beachcomber, etc)

I think they need to go back and do a limited series to clarify exactly what happened in this continuity leading up to the first issue of this series. Just because I want to know if Smokescreen was on the Ark II when it exploded or if he may show up at some point in the future...

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    1) The "voice" factor. I know if sounds really silly, but if I'm reading a well-characterized comic book, I can hear the characters' voices in my head. (Sorta like how I imagine a lot of us can hear the "dun dun dun DUN dun, dun-dun dun da dun!" when we read good SW books.) Volume I was pretty bland for me--almost all the characters were interchangeable, with no knowledge of the characters demonstrated. But Volume II is dead on. Except for some of the characters who never showed up in earlier comics and cartoons (like the Autobot triple changers), every character is perfect.

Sir, if there was a nail in Simon Furman's head, its statements like that, that drove it in. You can HEAR Ironhide and Ratchet talking to each other. It is great.

2) Grimlock back where he belongs! The big Rex turning traitor in Volume I was the single worst thing about a lousy story.
    Couldn't agree more.

5) The wonder of who this mysterious new leader of the "Cybertronians" is that Shockwave's working for. Thunderwing? Bludgeon? Ratbat? Unicron? Primus?
    Shockwave pretty much spells it out that HE is the new leader. Check out some of his dialouge with Starscream.