Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1

    Where's the propulsion on the Gunship?

    I was just looking at the Action Fleet version of this ship and I realized that the whole thing is basically just a big flying passenger compartment with some guns attached to it. There are no engine exhausts and those big round cylinders on the top are mostly part of the missile-launching system. Behind them are some coils, but they're way small so I don't think they're the main repulsorlifts.

    This ship has a weird design in general come to think of it, it's convenient for carrying troops, but what's the point of the wings? They clearly don't supply lift from a conventional aerodynamic standpoint, so are they the drive systems?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  2. #2
    Well, ya see, whenver you notice somthing like that..a wizard did it..

    I dunno though, maybe it kind of works like a really really high-tech hang glider
    "Ha Ha Ha Hee Hee Hee, I'm a laughing gnome and you cant catch me!" said the laughing gnome....

    - David Bowie: The laughing gnome.

  3. #3
    JT, those coil pieces are most definitely the engines. Sad ain't it? Yeah obviously the wings would be impossible to provide aerodynamic lift, due to the front being so heavy compared to them. I'd guess since it was based on a Soviet chopper, you could say the main lift is a lifting unit on the top. That's stretching it though...
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

  4. #4

    Re: Where's the propulsion on the Gunship?

    Originally posted by JediTricks
    This ship has a weird design in general come to think of it, it's convenient for carrying troops, but what's the point of the wings?
    In the grand tradition that is Star Wars, stealin...er, um, imitation is the best form of flattery.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gunship bop.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	43.4 KB 
ID:	5789  

  5. #5
    Yo, stillakid backoff. This is a bit of stretch - they both have wings. wow.

  6. #6
    Originally posted by gibbyhayes
    Yo, stillakid backoff. This is a bit of stretch - they both have wings. wow.
    Puh-lease! Obviously these aren't just "wings." A bat has wings, a bi-plane has wings, a fly has wings, a B-52 has wings, a tampon has wings. Clearly there is no similarity between those examples and the wings on a gunship. However, anyone with their eyes open can see the remarkable similarity between the Bird of Prey wings and the Gunship.

  7. #7
    I conquer........
    "Ha Ha Ha Hee Hee Hee, I'm a laughing gnome and you cant catch me!" said the laughing gnome....

    - David Bowie: The laughing gnome.

  8. #8
    Originally posted by stillakid
    Puh-lease! Obviously these aren't just "wings." A bat has wings, a bi-plane has wings, a fly has wings, a B-52 has wings, a tampon has wings. Clearly there is no similarity between those examples and the wings on a gunship. However, anyone with their eyes open can see the remarkable similarity between the Bird of Prey wings and the Gunship.
    Well there are alot of things that do have bent down wings, Stilla. There aren't really real-life bent down wings because they haven't designed something that can fly with those. However, these type of "drag" wings are throughout several sci-fi. You could say that there is a similiarity between the two top pods and the forward cockpit, but that's just a basic design. The Gunship *was* based on a Soviet Chopper, the bent wings are to be more stylish. The Chopper does have forward bubble canopies, btw.

    I don't doubt that they could have gotten ideas based on the Klingon Bird of Prey, Lucasfilm does work on the Star Trek movies except for Final Frontier, but still. I'm just saying that those are basic designs, and the drag wings are basic sci-fi "coolness" designs. I don't see it as a problem though if they did base it off the design of the Klingon BoP, Lucasfilm designed several starships for First Conact and whatnot. Actually a Lucasfilm employee design the highly loved Akira class.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

  9. #9
    Originally posted by LTBasker
    Well there are alot of things that do have bent down wings, Stilla. There aren't really real-life bent down wings because they haven't designed something that can fly with those. However, these type of "drag" wings are throughout several sci-fi. You could say that there is a similiarity between the two top pods and the forward cockpit, but that's just a basic design. The Gunship *was* based on a Soviet Chopper, the bent wings are to be more stylish. The Chopper does have forward bubble canopies, btw.

    I don't doubt that they could have gotten ideas based on the Klingon Bird of Prey, Lucasfilm does work on the Star Trek movies except for Final Frontier, but still. I'm just saying that those are basic designs, and the drag wings are basic sci-fi "coolness" designs. I don't see it as a problem though if they did base it off the design of the Klingon BoP, Lucasfilm designed several starships for First Conact and whatnot. Actually a Lucasfilm employee design the highly loved Akira class.
    I never qualified it as good or bad. I simply suggested that it just is.

  10. #10
    Originally posted by LTBasker
    I'd guess since it was based on a Soviet chopper, you could say the main lift is a lifting unit on the top. That's stretching it though...
    I think you're right, it does remind me a bit of that Russian gunship, called something like the Hind. If those coils are the engines, then they're WAY too far back to be a reasonable main lifting force though because it would take a lot more energy to lift from the rear than from the middle. I'm not saying you're wrong, merely that it wouldn't make sense if used this way.

    Originally posted by stillakid
    However, anyone with their eyes open can see the remarkable similarity between the Bird of Prey wings and the Gunship.
    Well, they are angled downward, they do meet the fuselage at rounded coils, and they do have guns near the tips of the wings, but I'm not sure I see this as a "remarkable" similarity to the KBOP.

    Oh, and tampons don't have wings, pads do.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO