Question Lookin for answers about lifesize Lightsabers....

Back in 96 I got the Vader and JK Luke sabers and then it took a long while till the new Phantom Menace sabers came out in 99... Hasbro released a Darth Maul and Qui Gon (1 ft shorter in length might I add!! ) but then some other company released a Darth Maul, Qui Gon, AND Obi Wan that didnt have sounds, only lights, and had a retractible blade that went in the handle... Skip ahead a bit and I see a Dooku and Windu saber by that same company for AotC...

Heres the thing... Im seeing the newer Saga sabers by Hasbro that are orange and yellow but Id preffer the "alternate" companies non sound versions instead... Anyone know of any plans this company might have to make an orange and yellow saber?

On a side note why did they release Maces newer handled saber while Hasbro released Maces older handled saber but with a purple blade still??
    DieGeorgeLucas. Die.

Those other sabers were from the halloween costume company Rubies, and they made 2 versions of the Ep 1 sabers - a US version with a fatter handle, screw-locked battery compartment, and non-locking emitter; and an international version with a much nicer paint job, accurately-sized handle, locking emitter (so the blade stays fully-retracted), and no screw on the battery hatch.

I don't think they're going to do generic sabers any time soon though. They did a SUPER-generic OT version back in the day in red, blue, and white blades, but these weren't much more than flashlights with saber blades.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Hmm well I know I got the International version of the Maul saber cuz I have those notches that hold the blades in but if it was a Halloween company made saber why did I find them all at WalGreens and TRU?? The Mace and Dooku ones I found was only like 4-5 months ago and they were all over TRU... And how in the hell are they pumping out saber handles in better quality and updated models than Hasbro???
    DieGeorgeLucas. Die.

Easy: They make costume accessories, Hasbro makes toys. Since they're not a toy competitor per sť they can make them better for more accuracy on the costume.

Btw, JT, there are US versions with the locking clips. I have Maul's saber with a screw-held battery compartment and it has slide over locking clips.

Btw, Rubies has also made Padme's blaster with the AOTC Padme costume and Mace's AOTC saber. (with accurate handle)
    They seem to just make the prop pieces when theres a movie out, so it's unlikely they'll ever make generic sabers. You could however try painting the blade.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I dont know about painting the blades as Id rather try to find those colored "cones" already colored the right way (I need to find red ones long enough to replace Mauls already too short blades somehow) and the saber handles are always based on someone specific... Damnit I guess Ill just buy the orange saber and the yellow saber "Hasbro-ized"...
    DieGeorgeLucas. Die.

Originally posted by LTBasker
    Btw, JT, there are US versions with the locking clips. I have Maul's saber with a screw-held battery compartment and it has slide over locking clips.
    The only ones I've seen are in trilingo packaging. US safety laws prohibit toys with battery hatches that don't have screws or other safety locks now, so the international ones sold in the US couldn't be sold in toy stores.

Oh, and I made a mistake about the Maul saber, both the US and international version have locking collars, but the Maul saber's locking collar is way different from the Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan sabers' locking collars.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The Obi and Qui sabers I got dont have locking colars... I do seem to remember a friend of mine saying that he saw an Obi with a colar once but I could never find it... Anyone know where there are any pics of the Rubie released sabers with all the variations??
    Last edited by DravenUnleashed; 04-25-2003 at 03:25 AM.
    DieGeorgeLucas. Die.