Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

"A Mighty Wind" is Mighty Funny!

JediCole here with another recommendation of a film that will likely be overlooked with X2, Matrix, and other Hollywood heavyweights on the horizon. "A Mighty Wind".

This is the latest "mocumentary" from Christopher Guest, Michael McKean, and Harry Sherer, the force behind "This is Spinal Tap", "Waiting for Guffman", and "Best of Show". Presented in the same documentary format as their previous films, "A Mighty Wind" delivers great laughs throughout. With its focus on the fictional greats of the Folk Music movement of the 50's and 60's, the aforementioned trio portray The Folksmen, a largely forgotten folk music group who are reuinited for a tribute to their late manager. Eugene Levy and Katherine Ohara are also reunited as a retired duet from the heyday of folk and many favorites from past mockmentaries also join in the fun as members of the unweildy New Main Street Singers or the suvivors of the man to whom the tribute is being made. Ed Begly, Jr. and Fred Willard also appear, with Willard putting forth another great performance as a thoughtless boor.

Bear in mind that the script for this film was little more than an outline of the characters and situations. Most of the dialogue and action were created ad lib by the actors. This gives the entire film a more genunine documentary feel as each character says what is on his or her minds and the performers are given wide lattitude to create and play off of one another on the fly. Though the film is in limited release at present, it should enjoy a much wider release by the end of the week. Take a chance and see a little picture for once. Mrs. JediCole and I laughed from begining to end!
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

It's still in limited release, isn't it?
    Back and more bearded than ever before

To me this movie looks entertaining, but I dunno if I will get around to seeing it.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"

Cool so how's me gal parker lookin? :kiss:

as you can tell from my Guff & Show humps, you know i'll be catchin That breeze
    vt

Heck yeah, I'm with VT !
    (although I like Best in Show more than Guffman )
    Oh, Parker Posey is indeed awesome !
    "thanks for nothing, you stupid HOTEL MANAGER !!!!!!!!"

"This is Spinal Tap" is one of my top five all time favorite movies, and I just love Best in Show so much. I can't wait for this new flick, it opens everywhere May 9th ! ! ! :happy:

You know who I also like from these flicks ? John Michael Higgins.
    He played Scott in Best in Show ("ca-ca-ca-COOKIE ! " ) and I've also seen him on Seinfeld, playing Elaine's bald boyfriend who decides to let his thick hair grow in for her . . . only to learn he has since gone actually bald.

I see he is in "Wind" and I bet he'll be teriffic !

Wow! I was amazed at the prompt replies to this post! And I was pleased to see that there were so many who were familiar with the other films mentioned. If you enjoyed Spinal Tap, Guffman, and Best of Show, you will not be disappointed by A Mighty Wind. And be sure to pay close attention to the lyrics of "A Mighty Wind", the song. My best friend, who is usually more atuned to such things, completely missed the humorous subtext. But then the song is that well written, it seems exactly like a serious folk song!

Michael Clark Higgins does indeed have a role in "Wind" as the frontman for The New Main Street Singers" along with his wife, payed by Jane Lynch (the poodle trainer in BOS). Parker Posey is also back, but in a comparatively small roll. Other alumnus include Jim Piddock (the British comentator from BOS), Larry Miller, Don Lake, Bob Balaban, and Michael Hitchcock.

While it is a shame that A Mighty Wind is not everywhere yet, I am hopeful that it will get a goodly release despite the boxoffice muscle of its competition. At least they were smart enought to wait until the weekend AFTER X-Men 2! Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against X2, I'll be in line Friday night myself! I just hate how studios and distributors tend to bury great small films on the opening weekends of the blockbusters, ensuring further obscurity.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Just found out it's playing here so I'll most likely catch this as I loved Waiting for Guffman and Best in Show!

You are right Jedi Cole, it probably will be overlooked with all the Hollywood Juggernaughts coming out SOON!

People don't know what they are missing!
    GIGANTA: A robot that automatically produces fun!

I've been looking forward to this film since the first piece on saw on it a month or so back. With X2 and Finding Nemo out this month, I'm not sure if I can afford to see it in the theaters, but if not, I'll definitely check out the DVD in a few months.

I've seen (and loved) Spinal Tap, but didn't realize Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman were by the same folks. What are those two about?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    I've seen (and loved) Spinal Tap, but didn't realize Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman were by the same folks. What are those two about?
    Waiting for Guffman documents the story of a small town community theatre and how they hang their hopes on the promise that a big time theatre critic may attend their performance.

Best in Show chronicles the preparations and the hopes of a number of different dog owners who have entered their pets in a prestegious national dog show.

Both are quite funny, but like others, I prefer Best in Show.

I haven't seen Best In Show yet, but I really want to. I have almost bought it on DVD several times. Maybe I will this weekend.
    "Roger Nasty Butler!"