Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AT-AT Review & Pics

I was able to get the AT-AT with some help this weekend so I put up a review of the set here on SSG: http://www.figures.com/databases/act...ow_article=225

This is my favorite large set now and definitely at the top of my overall list. For the money, I couldn't have expected better, and like Jango's Slave I, I plan on revamping the interior environment - there's enough headroom in the main hold for a 2nd level right now. The AT-AT has already earned a top spot in my Lego collection.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the review and the pics!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Love the review, love the pictures, now I just need to get one of my own to build and to love.
    2012 RFL Thank You to, TeeEye7 & Slicker!!!!
    Be an organ donor, save lives!

SWEET!

I've gotta wait until Sept. to get me one.

does the helmet come off of the AT-AT driver? I thought I saw some yellow from the back side pics.
    "Ha Ha Ha Hee Hee Hee, I'm a laughing gnome and you cant catch me!" said the laughing gnome....

- David Bowie: The laughing gnome.

This looks like an incredible set. Is it comparable to the Republic Gunship in scale?

Looks like a neat, but very expensive set. Perhaps one day when they get clearanced...
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I can't wait to get this one. The review is great and only has me drooling more. I'm glad to hear Lego subdivided this the way they have others. What are the final dimensions?
    One suggestion I'd have for a set this big is presort the pieces. Lager sets I've cut the build in half by doing this.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Originally posted by Capitan_Moroni
    does the helmet come off of the AT-AT driver? I thought I saw some yellow from the back side pics.
    Yes, absolutely, but underneath is a faceless yellow head. Of course, you could swap any head for this driver's head if you wanted to give it more character. The helmet itself has some cool paint touches, it includes the handles that spawn from the brow, 2 Imperial logos, and even the 2-colored vocorder pins at the mouthpiece.

Originally posted by aceguide
    Is it comparable to the Republic Gunship in scale?
    Scale is a tough issue in general for Lego stuff because the mini-figures don't compare to scale. More specifically, the Rep Gunship has been a tough set for me to decide on scale anyway since Lucasfilm claims it can hold 30 troops within. Taking all that into account, I believe the AT-AT should be approximately twice as large to be really in scale. Setting aside the issue of scale, the Lego Gunship and AT-AT are roughly the same length, width, and height not counting legs or wings. Oh, and the AT-AT weighs slightly more than the Gunship as well.

Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    Looks like a neat, but very expensive set. Perhaps one day when they get clearanced...
    I know what you mean, if I hadn't had help getting this one, I would have had to wait a while to get this myself.

However, compared to the Millennium Falcon and the Republic Gunship which were both in this set's price range, the AT-AT is relatively a bargain. Those 2 sets have around 300 less pieces each than the AT-AT, whose pieces are just under 10 cents each while most sets are around 13 cents per piece.

Originally posted by LusiferSam
    I'm glad to hear Lego subdivided this the way they have others. What are the final dimensions?
    One suggestion I'd have for a set this big is presort the pieces. Lager sets I've cut the build in half by doing this.
    By "subdivided", you mean in the instructions, right? Because the bags aren't numbered like previous sets, I thought that was important enough to mention in the review but thought it might get lost.

The final dimensions are about 16" tall (when I first measured it in the review, I forgot to straighten the legs ) by 16" long by 5.5" wide. The undercarriage to which most of the vehicle is built onto uses those funny Technic box bricks, so if you had the desire & the $$$ you could easily double up the width and/or length from there and build using that as a template.

As for the issue of presorting, I had actually mentioned that in my first draft of the review, but our news system has a 9,000 character limit and that was one of the things that got cut. I myself have never been a pre-sorter (except with very large pieces which just get in the way of general sifting) but I can easily see why you'd want to here.

I'm really glad you guys liked the review, and hopefully everybody will be able to get their hands on this set soon.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

By "subdivided" I did mean the numbered bags. For some reason it really irks me when Lego does that, but it's probability because I am a pre-sorter and it just gets in the way.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

The numbered bags are probably the best of both worlds, some folks won't wanna presort or sift through while those that do can simply open all the bags at once. Even still, I know what you mean, those numbered bags just aren't quite right.

BTW, nearly a week later, I thought of a shot I should have added to this review - a cross section - so I may end up doing that soon if I get the photo time.