Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

M. Night Shyamalan's "Woods"

After mining cornfields for thrills in last year's "Signs", M. Night Shyamalan will turn his attention to "The Woods" for his next feature, with Ashton Kutcher, Kirsten Dunst and Joaquin Phoenix in talks to star, according to The Hollywood Reporter

"Woods" marks the first film of a two-picture deal Shyamalan has with the Walt Disney Co. and is being eyed as a summer 2004 release with an October production start planned. Details about the second film in the deal were not made public.

Set in 1897, Shyamalan's "Woods" script revolves around a close-knit community that lives with the frightening knowledge that a mythical race of creatures resides in the woods around them.
    Source Story

Sounds like Lovecraft. Maybe he'll keep batting 1.000 with me and this one turns out to be a good movie. Eternal Darkness did a cool mythical race/evil thing and made a good story. Hopefully Night can do the same.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

I've liked all Shyamalan's films so far, so I'm hoping this will be another great movie. But Ashton Kutcher? Ugh. He should play a gender-bending Boom-Boom in X3 and get killed off immediately by some joke villain like Mandarin.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Uh, i agree with everything you said Chuxter up till the Boom Boom reference. I can't stand Ashton Kutcher, so hopefully he gets killed off, quickly. I did love Phoenix in "Signs" though. His reaction to the vide of the incident in Brazil is something i would've done.
    "Move children! Vaminos!" hehehehehe Is he not merciful?!??!?
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

Night can do no wrong in my eyes, but this has left me wondering exactly what kind of "mythical creatures" will this be about? Unicorns and fairies? Vampires and werewolves? Bigfootses?

Roojay, don't even put M. night and the idea of Bigfoot in the same sentence. The glory he could rightfully install into that creature as well as damned downright spooky it would be makes me salivate at the mouth. Knowing luck though, it'll be like Leprechauns or something. Maybe mr. Warwick Davis could make a cameo.
    "Woke up at 9.55am. Soon as I woke up, I looked at Suzanne and she looked at me. I said, 'Did I tell you about the immune system?' Suzanne starting laughing, I said, 'it's amazing.' She said, 'Not now.'"

I hope it's not some Leprechauns or Bigfoot things. How about Cthulhu. Yes, a Cthulhu inspired creature would dominate over a hairy man or a little man.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

I must concur with my fellow SSG posters in regard to Shyamalan and his films. Each one is a wonderful slant on a theme (The Sixth Sense - ghosts, Unbreakable - super heroes, Signs - UFOs). I think the underlying theme offered up for Woods is an intriguing one. Given its period setting, I should expect the beings in question to be more along the lines of the deeply rooted traditional supernatural nasties - like ghouls, rather than any of a myriad other possibilities offered up. That or something gleaned from Native American lore (assuming the town in question is in America of that period). Nothing outside of traditional European or Native American critters would make sense, especially given that it is a period piece set that far back in history. Though welcome, a Cthulhu-esque creature (or creatures) could play in even contemporary small towns, no need for a period film.
    "Does the name "Dingo" mean anything to you?" - Jedi Boulton to DingoDad at the October Dallas ComiCon.

Sounds interesting. He has made good movies and why should this be any different. Kutcher maybe, but we will have to see. He looks to goofy to play a serious part.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

Originally posted by JediCole
    I must concur with my fellow SSG posters in regard to Shyamalan and his films. Each one is a wonderful slant on a theme (The Sixth Sense - ghosts, Unbreakable - super heroes, Signs - UFOs). I think the underlying theme offered up for Woods is an intriguing one. Given its period setting, I should expect the beings in question to be more along the lines of the deeply rooted traditional supernatural nasties - like ghouls, rather than any of a myriad other possibilities offered up. That or something gleaned from Native American lore (assuming the town in question is in America of that period). Nothing outside of traditional European or Native American critters would make sense, especially given that it is a period piece set that far back in history. Though welcome, a Cthulhu-esque creature (or creatures) could play in even contemporary small towns, no need for a period film.
    DUHHH...
    When I originally read that news at cinescape.com I inexplicably read that the story was to take place in 1987! I was reading your post and thinking to myself...PERIOD PIECE?! Why would 1987 make it a PERIOD PIECE?!!
    Shows how closely I pay attention sometimes!

Well seeing as it takes place in 1897 Pennsylvania, you guys might want to start researching any Quaker or Amish myths that might exist! Just a thought!
    I heard this might be a romance story also. Hhmmmm... sounds aweful familiar. Hey maybe Ashton's character will fall in love with Big Foot!!! OK maybe not!
    [FONT=ComicSansMS]"What happens in Indy STAYS in Indy!".[/FONT]
    [FONT=ComicSansMS]"The only thing you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you".[/FONT]