Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Exercise in Futility Tour '03

I was in northern Massachusetts on business today, and on the way home (near Hartford), I stopped at 6 stores, just to remind myself what a waste of time it is to look for anything new at retail these days.

I hit 3 Wal-Marts, 2 Toys R Us, and 1 Target - the low was the second WM, which had *3* figures (plus the cantina gang) total. Running a close second was the second TRU, which probably had 100 figures in stock, but 85 of them were Obi-wan Pilot (seriously, pegs and pegs of 'em), the rest being a smattering of Lott Dodd and Vader Bespin. The rest were inundated with Jango Pilot and Shaak Ti, with a few Imperial Guard thrown in. There are also a lot of Amidala Decoy and the "snaggletooth" POTJ figures around at TRU.

Looking on the bright side, I got the new Tusken Raider, Rebel Trooper, and Fett Carkoon on ebay yesterday for $21 total, which isn't too bad (and all from the same seller, which means $5 total shipping). Also won a Deluxe Luke w/Bacta tank (damaged card) for $2.99. Did spend way too much on a Han Hoth, but only because I had hoped to win a Fett Carkoon from the same seller and failed, which means all that shipping for one figure.

Doesn't really matter, 'cuz it doesn't seem like I'll ever see those figures in a store at this rate.

Don't be discouraged. I remember after the Saga line came out, there were many figures I thought I would never have a chance to own unless I paid outrageous prices on Ebay. Dooku and Yoda were especially hard to find and Ephant Mon was just a dream.

Now, I have all the '02 Saga figures (except Teebo and Eeth Koth whom I have from POTJ). I actually found one Ephant (and snatched it up in a heartbeat) and have seen plenty of Yodas and Dookus. In fact, if I had waited, I could have bought most of the '02 line at a significant discount using the sales and KB four-packs available lately. I've even found some of the less popular figures, both loose and carded, on Ebay at much less than retail price.

My local Walmart, which used to be terrible about getting new stuff, now gets in shipments of the newer figures evey couple of weeks. The only problem is, it is usually one or two cases at a time, so you have to buy everything you want or put it on lay-away to keep them from getting away.

I like the way you think concerning shipping and Ebay. S&H can eat you alive if you're not careful!

If money were no object, we could have all the figures right now. But, for those of us with limited budgets, patience is the name of the game. After all, anticipation is part of the fun.

Still, it would be nice to find something once in a while....

I'm already driving 45 minutes each way to work these days, and the prospect of stopping at multiple places on the way home on the VERY off-chance that they have something new and somebody else hasn't already gotten it just isn't very attractive these days. It would be lovely if I could somehow duplicate the feeling I had going shopping back in '78 and finally finding Jawas (the last of the original 12) at the local Kresge, but it just ain't gonna happen.

Also, my want list is pretty specific - pretty much only original trilogy stuff, concentrated on SW and ESB. I am picking up the Yoda and Jedi Kids sets, just cuz they're so downright charming, but I've pre-ordered them from Kebco. Of course, I bought the new Tusken Raider since he works fine as an ANH figure as well.

I'm actually thinking about selling all the POTF2 figures that have been superceded by vastly superior new versions, just to clear some room in my cases, of which there are 10 now - 4 "original" 24-fig cases w/illo on front, 1 original Vader, 1 Falcon, 1 R2, and 3 3PO (1 original, 2 newer "talking" version).

Sheesh, I have a lot of figures!

Went out today, no luck either.
    "It can't rain all the time."

"Quote the Raven, Nevermore."

I was at a Target yesterday. There were no basic figures at all!

Tgr3328, I have had the same experience with my local WM, where until March the selection was bleaker than the Jundland Wastes at midday. Last month, they started getting the odd case in every couple of weeks, like you said yours does. This week they got in a couple of replenishment cases: the Yoda/Destroyer Droid wave, and the Teebo/Eeth Koth wave. I already had what I wanted from those assortments, but it was nice to see that figures are still shipping.

Now if I could just find the Younglings!

I passed on the Hoth Han, Lama Su, and a few others thinking the drought is over and I will start seeing new figures on a regular basis. As it is, I see new stuff, but I never know how many or how often.

>>Don't be discouraged. I remember after the Saga line came out, there were many figures I thought I would never have a chance to own unless I paid outrageous prices on Ebay.<<<

I might have said the same thing a year ago,these days im not so sure..
    Things come and go and are never seen again.
    Trash compactor sets?
    Never got em.
    THe Dooku/Anakin swoops?
    Never got em.
    ANY 2003 figure.
    Only on Ebay.
    The reason it's different now is that the figures are not selling.
    I thought i wasnt going to get a Dooku in the summer of 2002 and i finally did.
    But the figures were actually selling at that time.
    Even tough they were not moving up to expectations they were at some rate.

I was just reading on another thread about rumors of Hasbro sending out a "few cases at a time" of the newer stuff to retailers.
    A few cases at a time?
    All of a sudden it's turned into like..Star Trek figures.
    Or Go-Bots.
    This is STAR WARS and HASBRO.
    Two huge names with(er..i think) tons of cash.
    And it seems like it's a little fringe line being made for cult fans or something by a company out of Podunk MI called Toypeeple!
    Spelled just like that,with an exclamation point in their logo.
    I mean is the line in danger of being cancelled or something?
    It sure seems like it.
    No second wave cantina figures,sticking figures with ships and re-releasing them,packing four together for discount sales at Kay-B.
    I mean it really looks like this thing is wrapping up.
    So it's not really that too far out a concept that i may never own some of the new figures.
    While i see the line dying pretty much in EVERY SINGLE STORE within 100 miles of my house,i look online and see waves and waves and WAVES of new figures,new cinema scenes,new clone wars line,new this,new that..
    For when?
    And more importantly who?
    A few online dealers and maybe one case of each per state or something?
    I realize im being a little over the top but it's getting pretty frustrating.
    On the bright side i have more money.

-V-

http://www.citizenv.com

Just as I was going to give up hope on the Trash Sets a few months ago, I found them at WM on a trip. (I had searched and searched all over Nebraska, but found new stuff a few hours from my home in Colorado.) I've got all the 2003 Collection 1 figures, and just the Tusken from Collection 2. I'm still waiting though. And Ephant Mon, I'm going to wait at least six more months before ordering him online; Hasbro said they'd be shipping him again.
    "The boyforum members hashave no patience."
    Aw well, everything will eventually end up in the collections of SW fans everywhere . . . just not anytime soon, I'll bet.

Yeah, it gets kind of disheartening after making the rounds week after week and finding squat. I don't even bother to check the back of the pegs anymore, because I can pretty much tell you what figures will be there. The only thing of note I have been getting lately are the Deluxe figures, which I normally don't collect, unless I find them cheap. There's just nothing else to buy.

On the bright side, I am saving a lot of money. That means I have been utilizing my dormant E-bay account and buy a lot of the stuff that have been missing from my collection such as Cinema Scenes. Who knows, maybe with this extra money I'll take piano lessons or Yoga?
    "The dark side clouds everything. Impossible to see, the future is. But this I am sure of - do their duty the Jedi will." --Yoda from Attack of the Clones.