So who liked this story?

It was told by a writer that fled the civil war and genocide that has occured in the ex-Soviet Union, so he knew a lot about war to write on it.

The story dealt a lot with the Jedi needing to recruit Force-sensitive children and take them with the Jedi onto the battlefield.

Lord Hoth was quoted saying that if the Jedi don't have the kids fighting for them, the Sith will surely send the kids AGAINST them.

I thought the bouncers were very cool. Nice to see a totally alien lifeform that doesn't get around like a humanoid - and to have those aliens' characters so well-developed!

I was really surprised that Rain, or Zannah, becomes Darth Bane's apprentice! I wonder if we'll ever see stories of her, and if she takes a Sith name. Darth who? The first Sith Witch in the new line - and so much more rightfully so than Ventress, the Aurra Sing clone and Sith wannabe.

Darth Bane asked her why she killed the Jedi that slew the bouncer she'd befriended (because the bouncers were going crazy since the forest was on fire and they sought to drive both the Sith and Jedi to take their battle far away). Zannah answered him, "for justice. It felt right. To restore the balance." She had no emotion about killing, and was not seeking glory like Lord Kaan and Lord Githany had been. Darth Bane sought an apprentice that was all about serving the Dark Side of the Force - not themselves. There was a big difference.

I think in that regard, perhaps Palpatine has failed Bane's hopes for the Sith cause - even at the height of the galaxy's greatest Empire. I don't see how Palpatine serves the Dark Side. He truly seems to serve only himself.

I don't know how Darth Bane relates the Dark Side to power. I don't think he sought power.

I think he was a "depressive," and sought the opposite of the life-giving Force, which would be service to Death. He certainly did want to kill all the Jedi for revenge - it would seem his own Sith Master that had looked out for him, had been killed (probably on Ruusan, prior to Kaan's ascendancy). All Bane wanted to do was serve his rotting in the face of that loss, by suffering and dying, and taking everyone around him down with him. Zannah, after the loss of her cousins and Laas (the Ruusai Bouncer), probably felt the same way.

You see, Palpatine on the other hand, is not destroying. Sure he had a Death Star or two, but they were instruments to enforce his control over an Empire he was BUILDING. So it would seem Darth Sidious warped the Sith's purpose from whatever it was originally, and USED the Dark Side to serve himself - never truly giving himself to the Dark Side intentionally, as Darth Bane taught.

Maul was just influenced to be Palpatine's lackey since he was taken and trained as a child. I'm willing to bet that most Sith apprentices were NOT taken and raised up since childhood. The Sith Master would deliberately seek out someone who had suffered, who had grudges, and who had the raw talent. Thus training an older but supposed fallen Jedi like Dooku, was not unusual for the Sith. And their ways were so corrupting, that it was not really that dangerous for the Sith to take TRAINED JEDI as their apprentices.

I'm curious as to what Palpatine's personal story is, but I think he decided to make a Sith Empire his. Perhaps he is getting the Sith back on track to what Naga Sadow's original intentions for them were as far down the line as Exar Kun and Lord Kaan. But they were not Darth Bane's intentions - not to the way I see him.

Curious, eh?

Well, finally, when we get to Darth Vader, he never really gives himself to the Dark Side, but Anakin does desire order. "Someone should make them! [agree what's in the best interests of all the people and just 'do it.']"

Anakin owes Palpatine his life, but serves him most likely to make Palpatine keep a bargain to not mess with Obi-Wan and Luke, who Vader most likely knows the most probably location of. (wait until Episode 3 to find out, but I think that's gotta be it).

Sure when he fights Kenobi, he gives into the Dark Side, but he doesn't literally give himself to it, though he's headed in that direction until after Yavin, when he learns Luke is not only grown up strong and healthy, but is becoming a Jedi like his father had been. Then Vader really gets something wonderful to live for and look forward to (minus one Death Star).

So anyway, aren't the comics great for some more deep thoughts?