Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"

The Doctor is OUT. (The Incredible Hulk comic thread)

Picked up INCREDIBLE HULK 54 on account of jjreason's enthusiastic blurbing. Fantastic art. The story was spartan, but basically it was a slugfest between Bruce and a beautifully rendered Abomination, so what can you expect.

But now I'm confused. Because Betty is dead (or in a coma)? And General Ross is alive again? And it doesn't matter whether Bruce is big and green or not, he still has Hulk strength? But apparently it does matter to somebody because they want Hulk blood ( for what purpose isn't explained)? And some guy dies in a car explosion and another chick is shot (except it's not her) over a DVD (Been there.)? I feel like I haven't read this book in seven years ( oh wait, I haven't...)

I went back through my trusty comic log. I have every issue from... 183(OH C'MON... 183?!? What are the odds I was two issues shy of Wovie's 1st appearance?) up until 427. Give or take an issue. (211,218,224,226, 295, 334) 334? What happened there? Then I guess 432 and 436 had cool covers or something because I have those too. But durned if I can remember what happened towards the end ( other than Jim Wilson dying of AIDS. Powerful issue)

Anyway. Apparently they dropped "The" when they restarted the book. That's very popular at Marvel these days. Same thing happened with New Mutants last week.

So when did the 1st series stop? And what's up with Bruce these days? And will this book be headed in a different direction once the movie comes out?

Let's talk gamma radiated behemoths, shall we?
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Okay, let's see what I can do for you here EP. BTW, wasn't "The doctor is out." just perfect???? My jaw dropped, THEN hulk bashes the Abomination so hard his head apparently comes apart, THEN he throws the carcas up to destroy a helicopter??? That was a super-Hulk smackdown deluxe, for sure.

Vol 1 ended with #474, finished off by Joe Casey (methinks) who took over for the last few issues after Peter David left.

John Byrne started Vol 2 as the writer, with art by Ron Garney. I read until I missed issue 8 (featuring Wolverine, of course) which was distributed poorly and didn't get to my city - let alone my store. 10 American dollars, and quite a few months, later I had my #8. Too bad I didn't ever try to catch up on reading this title.

#34 was the issue that got me started again. Great cover, Romita Jr art, and a fresh place to jump on got me going. Bruce is on the lam after a young boy dies (purportedly) resultant from a Hulk rampage. A secret agency needs Hulk blood to use for it's R and D - Im a little sketchy here on exactly what they want to use it for, but Bruce blood is no good.

For quite a few issues, the book reads like the fugitive with much Bruce and little to no Hulk action. He's got a laptop that keeps tipping him off as to where his pursuers are, but we don't get to see who's doing the tipping. It stays quite mysterious as to who's behind it or what they're after.

I need to re-read 49 to see exactly what happens that allows Brucie to be super strong, I think he gets shot by a "Hulk gun" developed by the company to take down big green so that they can pull the blood. We haven't seen much of Betty and Thunderbolt, so I don't know where they're at in terms of alive or dead. Doc Sampson shows up briefly, but doesn't serve a memorable purpose (at least not memorable to me), and neither does that lady cop ex-hostage negotiator, though it did at the time. She may have been the mother of the boy who was killed - or lost a boy the same age.... I've never been one of those guys that can read a book once, then 3 years later spout the story by page, as you guys seemingly can with TF. I rarely if ever read a book more than once, and so much of it is in one ear and out the other. The Romita issues made such a nice juxtaposition with his JSM Amazing issues, I'd read them one after the other just to see how different inks and colour can alter the appearance of one great artists breakdowns. Both books looked (and still look) fantastic. I love the current "washed out" look on Hulk.

Hulk has risen from the ashes to being one of the 3 or 4 books I read every month without fail. Batman, Amazing, Hulk, Astro City, FF and not too much else I will read as soon as I get them home. The rest go in piles to be read once the current story is complete.
    Last edited by jjreason; 05-30-2003 at 02:06 AM.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

Picked up a few more back issues. My comic shop is cool because he just opened in the last six months to a year, and he just leaves his back issues out behind the new ones, so you go grab like a year's worth of funny books at cover price. I snagged 43 and 44 of the Hulk the other day, but 45-53 are waiting when I scrounge the cash. And his binned issues are pretty cheap, too. Compared to the old place I used to go, they would bag and board the previous month's issue and jack the price up a buck. Sometimes more if it was a hot comic like X-Men.

Still a bit confused about who or what this secret conspiracy is and exactly why they want the Hulk's blood. Is the head of the conspiracy going to be Banner's father? ( I don't know where THAT came from, I just thought I'd toss it out there...) is any explanation given to who's on the other end of the laptop? Apparently Bruce and "Mr. Blue" have the only two and they encrypted to each other.

Is there any connection between the end of 33 and the beginning of 34? Did the Hulk go on the rampage that killed the little boy between issues or what? And who's the sexy bimbo in Banner's dreams? I'm guessing the "door" is the one that the Hulk's "psyche" is trapped in. I guess I'll find out. But it's gonna cost me some cheddar...

EP - we found out the female agent was at the other end of the laptop in 54, I believe. Her motive? Unknown. I missed a lot of Hulk leading up to 34, so Im not sure if they were going on about the secret group before that or not. Im guessing not, as it was a pretty clean jumping on point.

S3 ( or S2, I get them confused) is Mr. Blue? Is this the same chick that got "shot" at the end of the latest issue? And is she also the chick in the underwear that killed the guy at the end of 49 to get the DVD?

YOU SUCK jj. Now I have to go find all of these and read them.

It's a good suck, though, right? Come on.......

34 may be a little pricey, Im not sure if that one's kicking around anywhere or not. Good luck, the TPB of the first few should be around if you need a quick hook up.

Yeah. I went and found #34 at the comic shop. $24 they wanted for it! But I'm pretty sure 34-43 are collected in a TPB or two. Instead I picked up 45-49 and 51-53 today. So I'm gonna read 'em straight through and maybe get a handle on this intriguing story.

I wonder what effect the movie will have on the series. Movie Hulk fans will want a a jumping on point and will find this byzantine epic waiting for them.

Im thinking they're going to reinvent things again after 54. Time for new readers to jump on fresh from the movie, I can see Hulk being a little more accessible for the next few issues. I wonder, will a 25c issue be in the works? It worked for the other 2 movie titles, why not Hulk?

What's with Bruce Banner:chick magnet? First he has the hot chicka who HIT HIM with the car all over him in lingeree and she doesn't even know him, then he's got Nadia doffing her clothes at the drop of a hat AND serving him breakfast in nothing but an apron. Not to mention the bartender chick who spends more panels OUT of her shirt than in it and the Pratt insisting the regenerating mom to strip...this comic is just Bruce Jones' monthly bra and undies fetish disguised as the Incredible Hulk comic.

Hey, you called it with the 25 cent issue, jj. After a splendid run by Immonen, then a jaw-dropping run by Deodato, this issues art left me....feh. And the Secret Conspiracy/Mr Blue substory was really getting me excited and now we've got this Absorbing Man crap. With all these new characters.

DO something JJ! Make it like it was before!