View Poll Results: How much would you pay for exclusive Episode III content on StarWars.com?

Voters
455. You may not vote on this poll
  • $0.00 - It should all be free!

395 86.81%
  • $1.00 per month

24 5.27%
  • $2 -3.00 per month

22 4.84%
  • Over $5.00 per month

7 1.54%
  • Over $5.00 per month as long as I got an e-mail account or forums over there

7 1.54%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by seth_quinn
    Tycho brings up one other point I want to touch on. as a web designer I am very familiar with things like bandwidth and monthly hosting bills. I couldn't even begin to imagine what it costs to keep this site running every month. but I thank you for doing it! for those that don't understand what I talking about; everytime each one of us loads/reloads a page, checks out the images in the cdb or members collections, ..., ..., it costs SirSteve et all money. and it adds up fast. if you don't think so or have never thought about - know this and know it well - this site is an incredible privilege and we are all very lucky to have it. thanks again guys!!
    One of the rare ones that understands what it takes to maintain a web site. I guess people think it doesn't cost anything... We have advertising because it costs to have programmers, graphic designers, networking admin, host, servers, bandwidth, equipment (camera, lighting, etc), travel, etc... and advertising doesn't pay the bills all the time. I do not agree with charging for news content as that's what gets your traffic in the first place, however I do see charging for certain services. We are looking into other ways to keep the site going rather than putting ads all over the place... some sites put ads within your news article, or do full-page flash ads. I continiously work on keeping our ads and site balanced and Action Online has been great in understanding the sensititivity of our community in those regards.

So, what WOULD you pay for? An auction system like ebay? Or what about a Deluxe Classifieds system? You only get charged if you sell something... comments and suggestions welcome.
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Pay for spoilers???????
    I would prefer to be spoiler free then!!!!!!!!
    McCallum has got nothing on Pendo!!!!!!!!! HEE HEE!!!!
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

aww poop! did it again. can we make the submit button 10x the size of the reset button for dumbies like me?

SirSteve - check your pms
    talent borrows, genius steals. - the designers republic

No thanks Lucas. I'll wait for the movie.

I will not be purchasing this information either...too lame.
    One way to out think people is to make them think you think they'll think what you are not really trying to get them to think what you think.

Originally posted by SirSteve
    One of the rare ones that understands what it takes to maintain a web site. I guess people think it doesn't cost anything... We have advertising because it costs to have programmers, graphic designers, networking admin, host, servers, bandwidth, equipment (camera, lighting, etc), travel, etc... and advertising doesn't pay the bills all the time. I do not agree with charging for news content as that's what gets your traffic in the first place, however I do see charging for certain services. We are looking into other ways to keep the site going rather than putting ads all over the place... some sites put ads within your news article, or do full-page flash ads. I continiously work on keeping our ads and site balanced and Action Online has been great in understanding the sensititivity of our community in those regards.

So, what WOULD you pay for? An auction system like ebay? Or what about a Deluxe Classifieds system? You only get charged if you sell something... comments and suggestions welcome.
    So very true. And as an enlightened individual of how the economy works(the part most people don't think about), I can't agree more. I never realized how much it actually does cost. I just won't be paying for the service and would not support it giving that if it were free and dug into the innocent division's pocket that ran it(not Lucas mind you). Even though Lucas owns what is going on, it is the peon folk who get the shaft.

Originally posted by I am Jabba the Hutt

It's just a way of kicking the fans in the teeth. Bad Lucasfilm. VERY Bad.
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was hilarious!!!!!!!
    Last edited by scruffziller; 06-05-2003 at 02:19 PM.
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Did I miss the part where operating costs are an issue? I thought we were debating paying for early/exclusive info.

Originally posted by SplFrcsCWO
    Did I miss the part where operating costs are an issue?
    I think we are debating where the 2 seperate.
    MWHAHAHAHA!

The problem I see is that we are paying for an unfinished item. It's like pc games. All the time they promise something, but the developer had to leave it out when the game ships. Once the developer finished its orginal idea it's usually, and I use usually very liberally, added to the game via a free patch. I think that if Lucas was not going to finish the Control Ship scene, then he should have placed it on a site where it could only be acessed by the owners of the Episode 2 DVD. This to me would be a patch.

On the other hand, if Lucas had spent more money finishing the scene so it looks like every other scene in the movie, then this can be an upgrade and a nominal fee could be assessed.

In terms of paying for regular web information, I don't believe that this should be done. The main point of the website is advertising and selling their products. Without the fans, Star Wars is just another movie. By catering to the fans, as Lucas has done in the past, by creating a website, it keeps people interested in the movies. In the long run, this means more money will be spent on toys, clothes, media, ect. If he eliminated the website, then he would lose out.

I feel this is what is going to happen once fans stop visiting the site. By charging for content that is not finished, casual visitors will stop viewing the website.

This is lucas's knee jerk reaction to 'how do we stop piraters of star wars dvd's'.

Paying additional $ to get 'insider' info on the film seems a bit harsh, after all us fans are the ones that are selling his movie for him.

This is stuff that should be on the dvds that we all buy.

The price is ridiculous, $20 a month , whatever.

If lucas made a insider dvd every month for 15 to 20 bucks with 6 hours of insider footage and info i might consider it, but for online content , no way...