Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question How much would you pay for vintage SW cards?

Hey there sports fans. Just have one question and it's the title of this thread oddly enough. I came across a collectible cards store in my area that just opened up. The mom and pop owners are selling a bunch of SW, ESB, and ROTJ vintage trading cards by Fleer or Topps or whoever made those original cards.

They are selling them for 15 cents apiece. The cards are in decent but definitely not mint condition. I used to collect them when I was younger and still have about 100 total so I'm thinking about finishing the collection.

Is this asking price decent? I can't find any kind of consensus on the average price for these cards in worn condition. Some people say $1 per and some a quarter per. Some ebay auctions have 30 starting off at $1.

I'm not looking for a steal or to get a full set then selling them. I just want to know if 15 for a used SW vintage card is a decent price.

Thanks.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Take my answer or leave it, but for me anyway, a collectable is only worth as much as I'm willing to pay for it, if that makes any sense.

For instance, if I really want to finish my vintage action figure collection, then $80 each for the last few figures may be worth it. Will I find a better price? Maybe, maybe not. It might take years to luck into a miraculously cheaper deal, so the question of TIME comes into play as well.

For my money, .15 cents a card seems reasonable so long as they aren't mangled to death. If you're buying a lot of them, try to bargain and get the price down 1 or 2 cents per card. It only amounts to a buck savings or so if you're only buying around 100, so it may not be worth the added time and effort.

I'd pay 15 cents without any reservation. I think it's a great deal because you can get exactly the ones you need.
    If I had a partial set and wanted to finish it, I would have a hard time doing it through eBay because everybody sells them in lots. So to get the few cards I need, I would have to buy extras of ones I already have . . . at that rate, I may as well just buy a complete set for a little more $$$.

10 vintage cards for $1.50? Heck yeah, that averages out to about $10 or so per set (I can't recall how many cards are in the sets ? ? ? ). Regardless, it's $15 for a 100 card set - I think that's a fair price.

Originally posted by stillakid
    Take my answer or leave it, but for me anyway, a collectable is only worth as much as I'm willing to pay for it, if that makes any sense.
    Yes, that makes great sense. Why pay a ton of $$$ for something you may only be marginally interested in?

The reason for my question isn't as broad as the question itself. I'm a bargain hunter. Maybe I'm kind of insecure, but if I don't feel that I'm getting the best deal I could get or even a great deal I probably won't buy into it. It would bug me to death if I bought these cards at 15 cents per and found out that everyone and their brother sells them elsewhere for 10 cents. I think it's at the very least a decent price because the cards seem to be in good/average condition and I can pick and choose what I want. I'm just asking what everyone else thinks because I'm ignorant to what the average rate is for them.

Thanks for your input, friends.

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I went ahead and got the cards. I managed to finagle the price down to around 12 cents per. I ended up buying the whole lot (around 160 cards) for 20 bucks. There were only a few duplicates so I figured I should offer to take all the cards off their hands.

The set turned out to be pretty good. The cards were in better condition than I remember. There were about half the blue and red sets, about 40 from the yellow, 50 from green, and 10 each from ESB and ROTJ.

You know how the back of the ESB cards have SW trivia? I got one with the question "How many Star Wars films does George Lucas plan on making?" I need the next card to get the answer, but since it was made in the 80s I suspect it is nine, not six.

Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    You know how the back of the ESB cards have SW trivia? I got one with the question "How many Star Wars films does George Lucas plan on making?" I need the next card to get the answer, but since it was made in the 80s I suspect it is nine, not six.
    Which card is it? Next chance I get, I'll take a look to see if I can find the answer.

Originally posted by stillakid
    Which card is it? Next chance I get, I'll take a look to see if I can find the answer.
    I looked at my set last night and the card is either 247 or 248, I can't remember which.

Quote Originally Posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    And the answer found on card #247 is ...

"A full nine"

... we should do a thread and ask all of the questions from that set. I think I may have all of those ... 144 to 250 ... hmmm, maybe I will.
    plasticfetish.net

Thought I'd add...

I visited an antiques store near where I live. The dealer had a few carded ROTJ figures and a bunch of original Star Wars trading cards. I asked him how much they were and he said $2.00 each. Each stack? No, each CARD! I gave the guy a funny look and walked out.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

There was (actually, it's still there) a sports card and jewelry store near my house that had some SW cards jumbled in a box. I asked the owner how much the cards were, and he told me $.50 each. I told him I needed to check my lists at home and I'd be back. I came back, chose 3 cards and about 15 stickers. He said he didn't say the stickers were $.50, just the cards. I rarely haggle, but I told him he didn't make a distinction. He sold them to me, but scowled as I left. I don't expect him to pull me up when I'm hanging by a tree branch over a cliff.

BTW, $.15 a card is a steal, MC, especially now that it sounds like most of the cards were from SW and not ESB and ROJ.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoltar
    Thought I'd add...

I visited an antiques store near where I live. The dealer had a few carded ROTJ figures and a bunch of original Star Wars trading cards. I asked him how much they were and he said $2.00 each. Each stack? No, each CARD! I gave the guy a funny look and walked out.
    I saw an antiques store that had vintage SW figures wrapped in plastic wrap and without weapons, for $30-$50 each. I had to laugh. Do they think we're suckers?
    "That's what Sheev said."