Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I remember Armageddon 2001. I remember feeling ripped off, since it made no sense (outside a marketing standpoint) for Waverider to check the futures of some heroes (mainly Superman and Batman) multiple times. And then the baddie was some relatively minor hero that he'd already checked out.

How about the DC Annual crossover ("New Blood"?) where aliens came to earth, started drinking blood or something, and inadvertently created one new hero per annual. . . each of which promptly faded away.

Or the worst move DC ever made, IMHO: making Hal Jordan, the Green Lantern, go wacko for no real reason and kill the rest of the Corps, only to be replaced by a knockoff in a snazzier costume? Up until Emerald Twilight, GL was the best book DC published. After that point, meh.

And to keep them alive when favorites like Kilowog were offed, DC made Jon "Not the Cooler Guy Who Hosts The Daily Show" Stewart one of those GL ripoff Darkstars, and turned Guy Gardner into some freaky-deaky alien mutant piece of crap thingy.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Heck, yeah. Guy Gardner had the snazziest GL costume with the giganto lapels and the turtleneck action. Then they turned him into that jackass living weapon or whatever that crap was.

I enjoyed Darkstars (Travis Charest was a B-version Jim Lee) but I always wondered what they were thinking when they created them.

"We need some kind of interstellar police force in the DC Universe."
    "Hey! Great idea! We'll start a new series right away!"

(six months later)

"Hey. Uhhhh guys? Didn't you already have a DC universe interstellar police force?
    "Oh yeah? Who?"
    "Uhhhhh...Green lantern Corps?"

(long pause)

"oh."
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

So, what's Guy up to now? Or is he dead?

I kinda liked when he first got kicked off the GL Corps and went through hell and high water to get Sinestro's ring, then became a sorta non-GL GL. What was that cool artist's name? Joe Staton?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Beats me. I have no idea what 9/10 of the DC guys are up to.

Remember the Midnite Sons books from Marvel? They took all the "occult" books like Ghost Rider and Dr. Strange and slapped them under a new banner with three or four new books like a new Jonny Blaze book, and a Nightstalkers book with Blade. one of the new books was called Darkhold and not only did it have the crappiest artwork EVER, the plot revolved around three boring non superpowered people hunting down pages of some "occult" book of the dead. It SUCKED hardcore. And yet I have 16 issues since it crossed over with all the other MS books.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Yeah, I remember those. Remember how Morbius sucked because they tried to make him a superhero, then toward the end of the run a horror writer and artist took over and turned it around? Unfortunately, like TF vol 1, it was too late and no one cared, so Morbius ended his series by committing suicide.

(I got the artist, whose name escapes me at the moment, to draw me a Sleepwalker at the Heroes Convention in Charlotte years ago. It freakin' rocks, and I have it hanging on the stairs in my apartment.)

I remember Darkhold sucking, then seeing part of a re-run of the lame Friday The Thirteenth (or was it Poltergeist?) TV show and thinking, "Hey! That's Darkhold! It even sucks the same!!"
    Tommy, close your eyes.

*** Gardner

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    So, what's Guy up to now? Or is he dead?
    He's not dead, but I wish he was to put him out of his misery. He lost the Yellow Ring to Hal Jordon when Hal became insane, then was that living weapon thing. He mellowed out and opened a bar with a GL theme. Spent most of his time running the business and drinking with the living human GL's.

But then DC decided to screw it up again and had him die kind of and go to hell and become a demon. I swear to god. It was in a Superman comic during Our Worlds At War. The story is vague because it sucked and I didn't pay too much attention when I read it.

Imperiex killed him and somehow he came back as a shape changing demon for the new Zod. The last issue was a few months back where he's upset that no one cared that he died (everyone thought he just disappeared). So he gives Superman grief and Guy tells Supes that he could kill him if he wanted. But doesn't and then disappears.

DC -- What we're you thinking?!?!

Originally posted by Eternal Padawan
    Remember the Midnite Sons books from Marvel?
    I was thinking of this earlier, but couldn't remember the name!

Since you guys are talking GL, what ever happened to Gnort?
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Gah. Zoltar, I must agree I now wish Guy was dead. I caught the beginning of that "living weapon" garbage but didn't know about the later crud.

BTW, slightly off topic: right after the launch of the new GL series about 12-15 years ago, I was at a flea market at the local mall and found an old Green Lantern comic in great shape in the $0.50 bin at one of the booths. I was sort of surprised, since this was one of those places where the newer comics were way overpriced. But I wasn't going to pass on what I was sure would be a great read, especially not at that price. After reading it (and, to my surprise, Guy Gardner showed up briefly), I looked in my price guide. The first appearance of Guy Gardner!!
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    After reading it (and, to my surprise, Guy Gardner showed up briefly), I looked in my price guide. The first appearance of Guy Gardner!!
    Nice find! I believe it's issue #59 from the 1st series. I've seen the price anywhere from $10 to $500 for a mint copy. I wouldn't mind owning one sometime as I'd like to read the original story. I wish DC would reprint some of the original important issues.

And as for the person who mentioned Gnort -- He showed up in an issue (annual maybe?) a few years back. This was after all the GL's had their rings lose their charge. Gnort was last seen in an alley digging through garbage cans looking for something to eat. He's pretty much been reduced to a stray dog now.

However, Mojo (the planet) has returned.

That's kinda how I got my Amazing Spiderman #238 (first Hobgoblin). It was in a "All for $2.50 each" bin, and it has the tatoo, too! Maybe a new thread idea, eh?

What about the Spiderman goes to an insane asylum crossover? Only three issues long? Useless, plus it has Bill Stienkiewcz (sp?) covers. Ugh.
    "That's what Sheev said."