Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

V: The Second Generation!!!

There have been rumors for years, that V would return either in a feature film or another TV movie. Nice to see that those rumors weren't just wishful thinking. CNN.com and a few other sites are hitting with news of the new TV mini-series being worked on. Marc Singer, Robert Englund, Faye Grant, and Jane Badler have said that they have been in talks to reprise their roles.

They're back: 'V' to invade NBC again
    Monday, June 9, 2003 Posted: 9:13 AM EDT (1313 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Twenty years after NBC's hit sci-fi miniseries "V" invaded the small screen, the network is bringing the aliens back with "V: The Second Generation," a three-hour TV movie from the original creator Kenneth Johnson.

Johnson, who wrote, directed and produced the original miniseries, is set to write, direct and executive produce the sequel, which has been given a script commitment.

The 1983 "V" (short for Visitors), which spawned a short-lived weekly series on NBC, was a sci-fi allegory of the Nazi takeover of Germany in the 1930s.

It centered on the Visitors, aliens from a distant planet who came to Earth with the promise to solve the world's problems through their high technology, but after gaining control of the planet through subterfuge and media manipulation, began to methodically kill their hosts.

A small group of humans, who discovered the Visitors' true plan -- to conquer the Earth and eat its population -- form a resistance and lead the fight against the invaders.

The new movie, produced by Warner Bros. TV and Kenneth Johnson Prods., will take place 20 years into the future. As the alien forces are turning more and more Earth citizens into followers, the resistance suddenly gains a powerful and mysterious new ally.

Several cast members of the miniseries and the weekly series, including Marc Singer, Faye Grant, Jane Badler and Robert Englund, could reprise their roles in the telefilm if it goes into production.

"For years I've had a passion to dig even deeper into the characters and circumstances," Johnson said. "Gregg Maday at Warner Bros., my fellow executive producer Rob Lee, NBC and I plan to make this new 'V' into the same kind of major international TV event that my original miniseries was."

The conclusion of the original mini in May 1983 was the top program for the week, averaging a 27 household rating/40 share. Additionally, "V" enjoyed solid success overseas. Twenty years later, the miniseries continues to be a strong draw as its recent DVD release has quickly become a hot seller, with more than 250,000 units shipped.

"The appeal of 'V' continues, and we look forward to getting a new script that could introduce it to a new generation of viewers," said Jeff Gaspin, NBC Entertainment executive VP alternative series, longform and Bravo. "Likewise, we would like to move the story forward with a fresh take on this timeless story of human resilience and resistance."
    http://www.cnn.com/2003/SHOWBIZ/TV/0...eut/index.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Can't wait to see this. It should be a lot of fun.

I loved the mini-series when I was in junior high (even though the short lived TV show was not very well done). Can't wait to see how they revamp this.

And I always wanted a "V" shuttle craft as a toy that was shown in the original movie being played with by a little kid.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

I was just reading someone's report on Star Archive about Robert's comments at a convention saying that he was going to do "V" again . . . I assumed he was joking !

This could be cool. Cheesy, but cool.

"Mousy, mousy !"

Marc Singer rules, it gets no better than Beastmaster, Watchers, and V !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be awesome if they got him to return.

Anyway, I'm really intrigued by this. I loved the V series as a kid, one of the few if I remember. It was incredibly cheesy but for some reason I was hooked. It was like the A-Team meets Battlestar Gallactica. I hope they don't get carried away and make it "dark" or something.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

I thought V was about the coolest thing on TV at the time next to the A-Team. If it comes back I'll be watching it.

Were there two miniseries and a show or just one of each? I seem to remember two miniseries and then the show taking place after the second one. There was one ending (which I believe was at the end of the second miniseries) where the resistance was trying to send a radio message to the enemies of the Visitors. I waited for them to show up, but they were never shown in the regular series.

BTW, the guy who played the main V, John, was also Mr. Wilhelm from Seinfeld.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

Originally posted by Exhaust Port
    I hope they don't get carried away and make it "dark" or something.
    What, like putting Mr Dark himself, Tim Burton, in charge? Oyyy, can you imagine?

Or maybe they could play up the "happy" "alternative lifestyle" "life companion" aspects of it with Joel Schumacher taking the helm.

But a pumped up Jan Dubont version could be fun too!

Although, maybe Ang Lee could fuse that raw action with the subtle passion that we felt from Jane Badler.

There are so many levels to play with. Which road will they choose?

Well, it's going to be scripted and directed by the original director. So I doubt it will be much different from the original mini-series. Atleast it won't be like Battlestar Galactica (2003) with Starbuckette.
    Originally posted by Mandalorian Candidat
    Were there two miniseries and a show or just one of each? I seem to remember two miniseries and then the show taking place after the second one. There was one ending (which I believe was at the end of the second miniseries) where the resistance was trying to send a radio message to the enemies of the Visitors. I waited for them to show up, but they were never shown in the regular series.
    There were two mini-series, and then the TV Show. "V", "V: The Final Battle", and "V: The Series". You can get the two mini-series movies on DVD. The series is supposed to be on the way also, but I haven't heard anything new recently. I believe the ending with the radio transmission is at the end of the original mini-series.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 06-10-2003 at 06:36 PM.

Wait a minute, I thought "V" was short for Victory?

Yeah I know the aliens were known as the visitors but I remember seeing a V spraypainted somewhere . . . as a sign of victory and resistance.

I vividly recall one of the rebels (in cahoots with Michael Ironside maybe?) saying "V for victory"

of course, it could just have a double meaning.

Yeah, the old Jewish grandfather showed them the "V" for Victory. And they spraypainted the the "V" on all the naziesque public relation signs. He was alive during World War II, and notices the visitors seem quite a bit like the human Nazi's of his day. Of course not many believe him, until they learn the truth.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

No. No. NO!

This was supposed to me be mine and mine alone .
    I've had this idea since I was 13, when they were replaying the Mini-Series's and Series on the Sci-Fi Channel. I even wrote a poor script for it, but the idea was very sound. V: The World War Chronicles, I called it. And like Mandalorian Candidate mentioned, in my idea, the message the Resistance sent gets answered. A few different alien species show up, a couple good, and some even worse than the Visitors themselves.

I was pretty caught up in it too. I did drawings of the alien species, I made up new characters with backgrounds and everything. And I was always hoping that if I ever established myself as an author, I could re-write the script and actually do this. Now someone's gone and beat me to it...

And it doesn't matter that that person is the creator of it. And it doesn't matter that I have absolutely no rights to that license... All that matters is everyone takes my ideas . (I had Starship Troopers first - and even the thing about Michael Ironside losing his arm too! I had that in my V script. Ironside played Ham Tyler in V, and in my script, he lost his arm and they had to replace it)... Um... am I going off on a rant here?

Crap.

Oh, well. It will be interesting to see and I hope it is as good as the first set of stuff. Even though I won't be able to do it myself (), I've been waiting for this for a long time.

End...
    They call them fingers, and yet they don't fing. Noodle that one for a while.
    "Logic dictates we haul @$$." - Mego Spock from Twisted Toyfare Theater; Issue #59