Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Angry Abysmal THX - 1138

THX-1138, abysmal? I beg to differ. Really, I mean, THX doesn't supply popcorn thrills and high speed space chases, but it's a far deeper and more provacative movie than anything Lucas has done sicne, including Star Wars. I would argue that the Star Wars films and THX aren't even in the same playing field when talking about Lucas' movies. The SW films are mythology-rooted epics that are first and foremost meant to entertain, whereas THX-1138 is a stark distopian nightmare of a film that parallel's Plato's analogy of the cave perhaps better even than the Matrix.

I realize that this is a Star Wars site, and as such may focus in on the lowest common denominator of filmed entertainment-thrills and spills and laser blasts and chest-thumping heros and damsels in distress-- but I would urge anyone with an interest in films with a message, or films that challenge you to use parts of your brain not immediately stimulated by AT-AT Walkers to check out THX-1138. It's some of Lucas' best work.

Ahhh ... but which version?!?

The 1971 theatre release of THX 1138?

Or the 1967 version from his days at USC, Electronic Labyrinth: THX-1138 4EB?
    Dar Basra

I haven't seen the student film, which I have heard is quite similar to the theatrical version, but shorter. Really though, for whoever posted that snide comment in the news about the Indiana Jones DVD set, shame on you!

And by the way, don't people realize that they are planning to make ANOTHER Indiana Jones movie which will make that nice 4 pack dvd set seem, uh, incomplete?

As a representative sample of "deep" "hippie" 1960s filmmaking, it's not bad.

It's a pretty simple story with such stark and sparse window dressing (production design as well as plot and character) that George didn't really step too deep into the water...at least not deep enough to get himself into trouble like he did with The Phantom Menace.

But overall, it certainly does the concept of the "alice-in-wonderland" story far more justice than that candy coated mess called Matrix. It's kind of like the thinking man's version of Logan's Run, without the corny '70s flashing lights and groovy haircuts. If Lucas did anything right with THX, it was not dating it with the period "look," although he didn't quite escape that "1960s" filmmaking sensibility.

Originally posted by zeroplate
    And by the way, don't people realize that they are planning to make ANOTHER Indiana Jones movie which will make that nice 4 pack dvd set seem, uh, incomplete?
    Not really, When Indy 4 is released on DVD you can just remove the bonus disc and have that seperate, and have the Indy 4 DVD in the set with the other 3 .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Also, THX-1138 is coming to DVD. Warner in their most recent chat over at HTF, said that it's being worked on now and will be released next year. The short student film is already available. It's on the "SHORT #10: CHAOS" DVD. Oh, and zeroplate. Just ignore Thrawn. He's got a serious fetish for bashing on Lucas whenever he can.

Which is the only reason he said it was abysmal. Not to mention he also forgot that Howard the Duck, More American Graffiti, and several other Lucas/Lucasfilm projects have yet to be released on DVD. More American Graffiti is coming though.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 06-11-2003 at 12:53 PM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Well, as far as the Indy 4 dvd, they will likely release yet ANOTHER big box, or more expanded versions of the dvds in the future. No one ever seems to learn this lesson. I guess there will never be definitive versions of any Lucas properties until the man is dead.

I think THX 1138 is more than a thinking man's version of Logan's Run, but even at that, it's still a triumph. The stark set dressings, the pace, the monotone of the 'new world' all does an excellent job of creating a believable social catastrophe. I particularly like the way torture and punishment becomes a voyeuristic form of entertainment.

Not to mention you can hear some of the sound design elements from Star Wars getting their first screen time in THX like the sound of voices over intercoms etc. Great stuff.

The student short was really just conceptual art, not storytelling. The feature film is unbelievably boring to me - makes 2001 look like Star Wars, and I've never felt 2001 was any sort of prize pig itself in the entertainment department.

JJB, you're totally wrong about Thrawn, he calls 'em as he sees 'em -- it has nothing to do with wholesale Lucas-bashing as you are claiming. Once again you make a matter-of-fact assertion about another's motives on the forums.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Re: Abysmal THX - 1138

I've always liked this movie, but I'm a big sucker for that "deep hippie 1960s filmmaking". (Even though it was really the early '70s.) stillakid ... I don't even know where to begin with you ... (*sigh*) taking shots at Logan's Run and then calling THX a "hippie" movie. (Hey! they've all got shaved heads ... hippies have long hair.) Seriously (not really) what am I gonna have to do? Put you on "ignore"? (kidding.)
    Originally posted by zeroplate
    THX-1138, abysmal? I beg to differ.
    I realize that this is a Star Wars site, and as such may focus in on the lowest common denominator of filmed entertainment-thrills and spills and laser blasts and chest-thumping heroes and damsels in distress-- but I would urge anyone with an interest in films with a message, or films that challenge you to use parts of your brain not immediately stimulated by AT-AT Walkers to check out THX-1138. It's some of Lucas' best work.
    OK. I L-O-V-E early/mid 70's science fiction. THX-1138 is pretty much what it's all about. There is style, there is pacing, there are interesting characters and there is action. Fine, it's a little odd and a little too "heavy" for its own good sometimes ... but, the film really is about those "feelings" of stark, cold, blandness and robotic uniformity that has taken over their world. I like the fact that the movie looks as good as it does given what I'm sure where some super tight budgetary constraints. I like the fact that the story is driven by two simple things ... the characters and the simple design of the stage that they're on.

I also like how Lucas has pulled imagery from this movie over the years to use again and again ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	clone-thx.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	13.0 KB 
ID:	6073  
    plasticfetish.net

Originally posted by JediTricks
    JJB, you're totally wrong about Thrawn, he calls 'em as he sees 'em -- it has nothing to do with wholesale Lucas-bashing as you are claiming. Once again you make a matter-of-fact assertion about another's motives on the forums.
    I'm only going by the info that I've seen from the man's own posts and by what I was told. You might say I'm calling 'em like I sees 'em. If that's ok for Thrawn to do about Lucas, then he's gonna have to be a big boy and take it in return. Let's look at the facts that he'll use almost any excuse to bash Lucas. Also take note, the fact that his avatar is a boxing glove, punching Lucas in the face. A childish display of his hatred for Lucas.

And if it was done to a picture of someone on the forums, like the Anti-Amy campaign it wouldn't be allowed. Note also that he's been asked by Steve to try to tone down the bashing a bit. So if you want to argue the point with me, fine. But please, don't try to pass it off as an uninformed "matter-of fact assertion". It's called an opinion, look it up.

And why not let Thrawn fight his own battles, JT. I'd love another smart-arsed blurb commenting on me in one of his F.A.Q.'s.

MTFBWY ad HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Last edited by Beast; 06-13-2003 at 06:36 AM.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.