Hybrid View

Vintage collectors=caretakers of the past?

As a vintage collector, do you ever feel like you are helping preserve a bit of our pop culture, kind of like a museum curator? Like, these loose and mint vintage figures are in your possession only temporarily, and you are simply a caretaker until they move on to another collection years from now?

Sometimes I feel that way, looking at the few vintage pieces I own. I hope one day to be able to show them to my grandkids, and say, "In MY day, THIS is what we had to play with! They'd have these things hanging on pegs in toy stores -- see the price sticker there? -- and I'd save my allowance just to buy ONE Star Wars figure like this one!" LOL

No I can I feel that way. Its more of a tangible link the past for me. I can look a my stormtrooper and Luke Skywalker figures and remember try to sneak them on to the play ground. Or my Millennium Falcon and how try to build one out of Legos (more accuracy Duplos), but never getting it right. At this point in time I don't care what happens to my collection after it leaves me. Maybe later on I will and I might feel more like a caretaker then.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

I never really thought of it like that. When my stepson and stepdaughter looks at my vintage collection, or when I show it to them, I tell them that these are the toys I had when I was your age.(he is 5 and his sister 8). All he wants to do is play with them. I gave them a few vintage figures that I had 3 and four of(stormtroopers, tuskens, and they were the worst of them, so I didn't care too much). I guess we are kinda curators and caretakers in a sense.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten