Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

R.I.P. Master Splinter - Mirage Comics May 1984 / June 2003!!

Well, it's officially the end of an era. I wasn't going to start a thread, because I didn't feel like it at the time. But I figured that I should honor my favorite character. Besides, not sure if the turtle fans on the board, are up to date with the current Mirage Comics. Especially since, the art of the book isn't the greatest.

But in Issue #10, they promised that a major character was going to die. And just like Chewbacca, it was a senseless death. I don't have the issue in my hand at the moment, but I will post what I've read. Only thing I can say, is he deserved a more noble death. Atleast dieing in battle, or somthing. Atleast the vision of one of his sons killing him wasn't true.

In Issue #8 and #9, it was strongly hinted that April was going to be the one to die. She had been stabbed years ago by Baxter Stockmen, and the nanoprobes in the weapon he used had remained dorment. But they suddenly reactivated and the Turtles and the Utroms battled to save her life.

But in Issue #10, their measures seemed to have helped. But unfortunatly Master Splinter suffered what according to what I've read, appears to have been a major heart attack. Before he passed away, he seemed distraught at leaving his sons.

As he died, what appeared to be the spirit of the Rat King appeared before him. He's appeared before, when Splinter was near death to help him battle back to life at all costs. Whether he was there now as a guide to the next realm or for a more sinister purpose, isn't explained.

There is always the chance that he could pull the old Obi-Wan trick, and appear when the TMNT need him in spirit form. But that's not known at the moment. Issue #11 will be his funeral issue, which will most likely follow the vision of Donatello in Japan to lay to rest the remains of Splinter.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	master splinter r.i.p.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	6081  
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I think it's best that he dies the way he does, I mean look how Yoda dies in ROTJ.
    Didn't splinter come to the turtles in spirit form in the first movie? I'm sure they saw him in spirit when they all went out to meditate at Aprils upsate place.
    "Trust me, itís paradise. This is where the hungry come to feed. For mine is a generation that circles the Globe in search of something we havenít Tried before. So never refuse an invitation, never resist the unfamiliar, never fail to be polite, and never outstay your welcome. Just keep your mind open and suck in the experience. And if it hurts, you know what, itís probably worth it."

Well, it was still a horribly lame death for a much loved character that's been around for quite a while. And yes, Yoda just passed away, but atleast Luke was with him at the time. As you can see from the comic scan, none of his sons was by his side when he died. As far as I know, it was just the Oots.

And yes, in the first movie he did leave his body and manifest for his sons in spirit form. It was when he was being held captive by The Shredder. It still was a weak death for a beloved character. And most of the fans of the old rat would have prefered he died atleast a bit more noble.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Originally posted by JarJarBinks
    It still was a weak death for a beloved character. And most of the fans of the old rat would have prefered he died atleast a bit more noble.
    yeah, like in a rat trap !

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    Well, only on issue #10 and they are already relying on that storyline crutch ( I.E. "This issue somebody dies!" ) to sell their book? Sales must be waaay down. I don't give this one another year.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Yeah, I know what you mean. But the good thing is, he'll still be alive in the cartoons and in the Dreamwave comics. Not to mention Mirage is planning a "Tales of the TMNT" comic that will deal with the storyline gap between Volume 2 and Volume 4.

Volume 4, the Volume in which Splinter dies is set 13 years after the current TMNT incarnation used in the cartoons. So the turtles are all 28, and Splinter was around 38. And his death has been predicted since Volume 2. But I'm hoping they bring him back somehow. Hell, they killed Shredder in Issue one of Volume one and he was brought back, and then perma killed issues later.

By the way, here's the scans of where Donatello and Splinter are talking about Donny's vision of the future where he would go to Japan to bury him. But I still think there is more to Splinter's death. Because Volume 2, also featured dreams by Splinter of one of his son's killing him. And one of Raph battling the Rat King as a giant rat, which could mean the R.K will inhabit Splinter's body.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Name:	don's vision.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	6096  

And here's the Bloody Splinter dream, from volume two. This was a dream that disturbed Splinter fairly badly. As it predicted that one day, one of his sons would kill him.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Name:	splint_dream.jpg 
Views:	189 
Size:	30.0 KB 
ID:	6097  

And here's Raphael's dream/vision from the same series. It was of the Rat King in a giant rat form. Which fits with Splinter's dream fairly well, because Raphael did kill the rat. Which leads to assumption that the Rat King will take over Splinter's body.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Name:	raph_dream.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	26.6 KB 
ID:	6098  

That sucks. No, sucks isn't a strong enough word for it.

Rest in peace, Master Splinter. We will always remember you as one of Henson's best puppets.

Off subject slightly, if so much time has elapsed, why is "Teenage" still in the title?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Originally posted by El Chuxter
    That sucks. No, sucks isn't a strong enough word for it.

Rest in peace, Master Splinter. We will always remember you as one of Henson's best puppets.

Off subject slightly, if so much time has elapsed, why is "Teenage" still in the title?
    Yeah, I agree. But atleast there is the new cartoon, dreamwave comic, upcoming "Tales of TMNT" comic, and Hallmark mini-series movie on the horizen that he'll be a part of. I'm glad the CGI project never got off the ground. They show a shot in the promo for it, of Splinter laid out on a slab surrounded by candles. So they must have planned to kill him in that also.

Yeah, and the Henson puppet for the first movie kicked arse. The ones used in the second and especially the third, I'll not comment on out of respect for Splinter. I heard the one for the upcoming mini-series blows away the first movie one though. Splinter can now actually movie and fight, instead of being seated in his chair or standing around all the time. Cool beans.

As for why they haven't dumped the word "Teenage" from the title? Hell if I know. Probably because it just wouldn't be the same without it. And what could you replace it with that would have as much zing? Adult Mutant Ninja Turtles?

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks