Hybrid View

1990's CCG Explosion

OK. Well the 1990's is when collectible card games pretty much exploded into the market. Magic: The Gathering was a huge success so everyone tried to get on the band wagon. Who here has played, or is now playing, a CCG that is now defunct? I played X-Files which is not longer around. In fact it was cancelled right before a 2nd expansion was to be sent to the printers.

I played Harry Potter but that died too. Not enough interest from younger players. The game mechanics were fine, but the marketing for the game was poor.

I still play Mythos once a month with some friends from Western Washington that enjoy Lovecraft's stories. This is by far my favorite CCG and is still a fun play. The game isn't technically dead -- just on hold until Chaosium can get enough money to produce it again.

So any other dead CCG's that people used to enjoy? And if you collected the cards for X-Files, Mythos, and Harry Potter, please feel free to send me a PM. I may be looking to trade or buy some cards.

It's far from dead I suppose but I play Star Wars TCG from WOTC. I can see it getting cancelled in a few years or at least going into hibernation. I know of noone other than my 8-year-old son who plays on a regular basis. None of the card shops I frequent ever have tournaments or demos and I have yet to see anyone just playing it.

It's a great game but hasn't caught on like Magic or Warhammer.
    "I'm just a YES man trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango McCallum

"Good dialogue and smooth editing are no match for a good YES man by your side, kid." - George Lucas

I pretty much play Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh and used to be into DBZ, would like to get back into that though.

I had started to buy DEAD LANDS cards but could never figure out how to play it. The RPG was killer though, it was my favorite. I love to play MAGIC Online.

One game my friends and I played (that had a similar premise to Magic)
    was a combo of a card game and board game was an X MEN game based on the comics, it was great.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

I loved MTG. I haven't played in while. I stopped collecting right before 6th edition. I also collected star wars ccg.
    Be not afraid of any man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens call on me, and I will equalize.

– 19th century ad for Colt revolvers

Be wary of the man who only has one gun...for he probley knows how to
    use it.

I play(ed) a ton of TCG/CCGs, some dead now...

1.) SW: CCG (best CCG ever, imo)

2.) Aliens Predator (and later Terminator) was a great fun multiplayer game.

3.) Yu-Gi-Oh - okay, it's not dead by any means, but I love it and still play.

4.) Magic - it was an okay game to me. I bought cards here and there and play once in a while for fun and a change of pace

5.) Pokemon TCG - Hey, say what you will about the shows and the non RPG games, they all suck and I don't like them. But the card game was actually fun and I collected up to Legendary Collection..got a few new casrds, but nothing substantial...

6.) Star Trek CCG...I tried it, got a few good cards, dropped it....just wasn't my kinda game...

7.) SW: TCG by WotC - Tried it and it...SUCKS...sorry, I'll never like it and it's a very poor replacement for SW CCG

8.) TMNT TCG - picked up the 2 player start, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Seems pretty decent, but simple like Yu-Gi-Oh. Haven't even seen boosters for it. Anyone get to play it? I love the look of the cards...
    “Denial is in the eyes of the person you’re arguing with.” - Me

"I try not to set standards. I don't like to show people I'm superior." - Me

Hmmm, lets see.

I used to play all of the following:

Buffy the Vampire Slayer: CCG
    I LOVED this game but it only lasted 3 Sets due to the stupidity of the company that made the game.

Star Wars: CCG
    Another game I loved. LFL killed it off, the jerks. This game was fun. Where else can Yoda Fly an X-wing with R5-D4 as the Astromech making an Attack Run on the Death Star?

Lord of the Rings: TCG
    I USED to like the game. When Decipher's whole Tournament system went corrupt, I quit the game in sheer hatred towards the company.

Star Wars: TCG
    Another game I love. I just dont have much time or money to support it anymore.

There are a few CCGs I've played but are so Meh, they arent worthy of my time to type them on here.
    See my Collection of Figures at:
    Chazz's Loose Collection
    Good Trader: InsaneJediGirl, Lowly Bantha Cleaner, Hellboy
    "If either one of these two goes Super Saiyan, I'm going home." -pinkfloyd, on the Matrix trilogy