Thread: Best Deals!

Hybrid View

Thumbs up Best Deals!

We've discussed plotlines, characters, and series. But since this is a STAR WARS collecting site, perhaps some stories of yore related to prices would suffice.
    Did you steal a pricy book for next to nothing? (No, no actual thefts, please ). Did you luck out and guess right, right off the newsstand/comic shop shelf?

My bests:

* Amazing Spiderman #238 ($2.50, with the tatoo thingy inside, from an "All For $2.50 Each" bin)
    * Set of all 5 Punisher Limited series for $20 (Well, at one time this was a great deal... )
    * G.I.Joe #2 in a bag of 3 for $.99 comics (First printing! But I read that puppy to death, i.e. only 'Good' condition)

Others, gentle readers?
    "That's what Sheev said."

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I used to keep track of what I paid for each comic, but after awhile I lost track. Guys would bring in whole long boxes to the comic shop where I worked and the owner didn't want what they were selling so I'd offer $20 or $40 depending on what they had. I'd find some real gems in there ( some turds too...see thread.)
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

I used to live in Bellingham, WA when I went to the university. There was a local comic artist trying to make it big. I bought all his stuff and he even signed every issue when he dropped them off at the local comic shops. The comic series was called "I, Lusipher" until it was changed to Poison Elves, which eventually got picked up by Image. I got all the issues for cover price. Now the early ones I've seen going for somewhere around $100 - $300 each.
    Last edited by Dr Zoltar; 06-16-2003 at 12:45 PM.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

Poison Elves is a big deal, good score there Dr. Z.

I got VF/NM copies of Giant Size X-Men #1 and #'s 94-107 of the regular series for just under 500 bucks from the guy who owned my first comic store. Sounds like a lot of money, but it was less than half their value at the time, and way, way less than that now.
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008

The highest price I paid for any book was Capt. America 100 for $110. I bought several when they were first released (i.e. Spiderman #298-301, Sandman #1, Hulk #336-340, and, and, my brain fails me now). The most I paid for any X-Men was $20, I believe (maybe #100?), with most in the $10-15 range (#s 108, 109, 120, 121, 139-142 [I apparently liked Alpha Flight, eh?], 133, 137, et al). I had all the Punisher appearances except Capt. Amer #241, Spiderman #129 (could've had it for $95 once), and that Marvel Premiere/Preview one.
    "That's what Sheev said."

I missed the boat big time when I was about 15. The same guy who sold me those X-Men books moved his BEAUTIFUL VF copy of FF #1 (vol 1 of course) - first book of the Marvel Universe - for 700 bucks. Oh man, hind sight is 20/20. My parents would have killed me, but I would have been headed straight for comic book heaven.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I have a limited edition Spawn TPB of the first three issues that was distributed at a retailers convention. There was only like 1000 made and mine is signed by the Toddster himself. I picked it up for $20, last time I checked it was worth several hundred.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."

Hit a minor jackpot on ebay...

Hey, just scored a copy of the now 25yr old Spectacular Spider-Man #1 (yes, the back up 2nd series) for 56 bucks. Why is THAT such a good deal you ask? This copy is slabbed by CGC at a very cool 9.6 Near Mint Plus (which, according to the powers that be) should have it selling for approx. 150 bucks (3x guide).

To put it in a little more perspective, a 9.6 #2 of this series went for over 250 bucks last month..... JJ strikes again!!!

A local comic shop went out of business about eight years ago. It was 50 percent off, then 75 percent and so on until just junk was left. I picked up the first 20 or so Punisher comics at the time, as well as bunches of SW trading cards. If I'd thought about it, I'd bought all of the trading cards I could lay my hands on but didn't.

I had luck enough to hit one of those too, in Toronto. I got nearly 60 issues of Marvel Star Wars (in everything from Fine to NM) for less than 100 bucks (including the shorter printed last 10 issues). I still don't have that set done, embarrassingly enough.