Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Worst Deals?

Re: Worst Deals?

I liked Marvel's New Universe line when it came out too. It may've been a little better, and lasted longer, if they maybe focused on a few less books. They weren't all crap. I liked Starbrand, and how it came over to Nova, or whoever.

Another one I liked was Marvel's 2099 books, especially Ghost Rider. I've since gotten rid of most of my collection, including that, and wouldn't mind seeing that in a TPB.

The variant covers were already mentioned, but any 1st ish that had some huge balloon stating it was the 1st ish and a collectors item.
    BAD needs: HK-50 torso, right arm and head
    YVH-1 head

Trusty traders / buyers/ sellers: Tycho, SK99, DarthChuckMC, minirock(X2), Lman316, Turbowars

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboy
    Dr Zoltar- Even the New Universe's Kickers Inc.?
    Ouch! You got me. The only ones I read in their entirety were Justice, DP 7, Starbrand, and Psi-Force. I have one or two issues of the other four, but they were bad. I can only remember Merc, and Kickerís Inc. (which I have the issue where DP 7 makes a guest appearance!). There was one called Jenny and the Spitfires I think. I have no idea what the other one Iím forgetting is.

And I do remember a rumor that Starbrand showed up in Nova, but havenít been able to track down the issue or even find someone that knows anything about the story line.
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoltar
    Ouch! You got me. The only ones I read in their entirety were Justice, DP 7, Starbrand, and Psi-Force. I have one or two issues of the other four, but they were bad. I can only remember Merc, and Kickerís Inc. (which I have the issue where DP 7 makes a guest appearance!). There was one called Jenny and the Spitfires I think. I have no idea what the other one Iím forgetting is.
    The other title you're trying to think of Dr Z was Night Mask and if I remember correctly it was Spitfire and the Troubleshooters.

I'm guilty of collecting a few of those series as well. I read all the first issues but ended up collecting only Psi-Force, Justice and Nightmask. I gave up on Night Mask first then later the same with Justice. Psi-Force was the only title I stayed with until the end and surprisingly it got really good with a number of the major characters dying in the conclusion.
    Talk Show Host Interviewing Joker: ďYour said to have only killed about 600 people Joker. Now donít take this the wrong way but I think youíve been holding out on us.Ē

Joker: ďI donít keep count. Iím going to kill everyone in this room.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Hellboy
    The other title you're trying to think of Dr Z was Night Mask and if I remember correctly it was Spitfire and the Troubleshooters.

I'm guilty of collecting a few of those series as well.
    In what was only ONE YEAR of a comic, I believe it was first Spitfire and the Troubleshooters, then just Spitfire, finally ending as Codename:Spitfire. AND an Annual, I think! Sad.

I collected the first 12 issues of all 8 titles, then I limited myself to the first 25 issues of those titles that survived the first year. I gave up after then. I did like the concept, but it just got too weird after a while.

BTW, it's been a while without any lists, so...
    FAVORITE NEW UNIVERSE TITLES
    1. DP 7 (I'm a sucker for super teams)
    2. Nightmask (thought the rip-off of Dreamscape was still pretty cool)
    3. PSI-Force (eh, had a chance to be a super team)
    4. Justice (it used to be higher, but it got incomprehensible towards the end)
    5. Starbrand (too moody)
    6. Spitfire, et al (love suits of armor, but it was too short)
    7. Mark Hazzard: Merc (ugh, dull and boring)
    8. Kickers, Inc. (yeah, it was bad)
    "That's what Sheev said."

I had a terrible deal fall immediately on the heels of possibly my most favourable deal ever. I traded a complete run of Alpha Flight (when it was around issue 40, and still fairly good reading) for a large run of Hulk books. Included in that lot were 102 and 103 (the first 2 issues of "Incredible Hulk" which continued on where "Tales to Astonish" left off) and 180, 181 and 182 - the first appearances of Wolverine. These were key to me, as I loved the X-Men back then, but didn't care much about the Hulk.

Anyhow, I was also a Spider-Fan. An older collector I knew through another friend knew this, and made me an offer I couldn't refuse: Amazing Spider-Man #16, with a guest appearance by Daredevil (!) for the Wolverine Hulks. Well, I hummed and hawed and decided it was worthwhile. Bad decision, when you look at it nowadays. To make matters worse, when I went to move the Spider-Man book a couple of years later, I found a small hole through the front cover that I hadn't noticed upon making the trade. Young and foolish. Oh well, that other fella really should have never made the trade for those Alpha Flight books - maybe he'll post in here about HIS worst deal ever!
    GOLDEN DEUCE AWARD WINNER & MABUCON ATTENDEE 2008