Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirSteve
    [size=1]User Reputation System
    This is basically what is know as user Karma. It is a way of rating users based on the quality of their posts. While this is only based on other users opinions, if used properly, it can give a pretty good indication of what type of poster the member is. For example, if a user consistantly makes post which other users feel are negative, then their reputation will show.
    Hmm, I couldn't help but notice this portion of the rules. What is meant by "negative"? Does this mean to imply that unless a user is on the bandwagon with nothing but praise for George Lucas & Co. and everything that is produced by such, that they automatically "deserve" a bad reputation?

I get that this is a "fan" site, however I beg to differ with the narrow definition of what constitutes a "true fan." While one might look upon a staunch supporter of every element of Star Wars as the epitimy of what fandom is supposed to look like, I disagree. A true fan, in my opinion, is willing to take a realistic look at the pro's and con's of whatever hobby he/she takes an interest in. A totally "positive" outlook isn't fandom...it's more like fanaticism.

Personally, I consider myself such a huge fan of the Star Wars concept, that I have taken "offense" at the lower quality of the new films relative to the originals that brought most of us here in the first place. Not only that, to further "prove" my fandom, I not only integrated the hobby into my life...I chose a career because of those films. In other words, I'm living my hobby to the best of my ability.

In addition, you mention "quality" of posts. I personally feel that the "quality" of most of my posts is quite high when compared with some of the others which only go so far as to offer brief opinions. In the past, I have laboriously cited sources and detailed my findings with numerous quotations, scenes, et al. But by conjoining the word "quality" above with the word "negative" in regard to posts, you are opening up Pandora's Box so that no posts of any true worth can be made if they even suggest a modicum of negativity.

So, when you suggest that "negative" comments will reflect upon a users reputation (presumably in a negative manner), I implore you to reconsider that wording before unnecessarily saddling some of us with the yoke of scorn from radical Lucas-ites (well, anymore than is already present anyway).

Thank you.

In simpler words, if someone is posting crap, it will show. If people are posting quality posts, it too will show. It's just someone's opinion and if this gets out of hand, it will be turned off.
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

In my opinion this system creates a qualifier that is fundamentally inaccurate.

It appears that it has more to do with giving your buddies a popularity rating.

It has the potential to cause some negative emotions as well. I'm not necessarily referring to disapproving of a post and or leaving negative comments regarding the post or it's author.

What about those who don't get any form of "reputation" at all?

What is it supposed to tell others if you aren't already sportin' "......is on the distinguished road."....or whatever comes after that?
    ubi mel ibi apes

Quote Originally Posted by SirSteve
    In simpler words, if someone is posting crap, it will show. If people are posting quality posts, it too will show. It's just someone's opinion and if this gets out of hand, it will be turned off.

Define "crap."

Define "quality."

I can't read anyone's mind, but I suspect that some here would consider "crap" to be synonomous with (what they consider) derogatory comments toward any aspect of the hobby.

In the same way, they might also consider "quality" to be a happy-happy-joy-joy attitude toward every aspect of the hobby.

See, I consider a "quality" post as one in which the author has clearly put in some thought before sitting down to type whatever the opinion or stance might be. Your wording above doesn't seem to reflect that.

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    Define "crap."

Define "quality."

I can't read anyone's mind, but I suspect that some here would consider "crap" to be synonomous with (what they consider) derogatory comments toward any aspect of the hobby.

In the same way, they might also consider "quality" to be a happy-happy-joy-joy attitude toward every aspect of the hobby.

See, I consider a "quality" post as one in which the author has clearly put in some thought before sitting down to type whatever the opinion or stance might be. Your wording above doesn't seem to reflect that.

I'm guessing "crap" would be defined as brief, silly replies like "You go girl!" and "That movie sucked eggs!!"

When people, no matter how articulate, or in some cases ignorant, like myself, try to post a reply to a topic others feels differently about, and get lambasted on their views, because certain people are more of an expert in a certain field, then some might consider that "crap". Even ignorant people know when they are being insulted, unless they're imbaciles, then maybe they don't have a clue.

I don't think "quality" is implied, that your post must be in line with the popular vote. Everyone disagrees about something. Some are ALOT more vocal, and buligerant about cramming their views down peoples throats than others.

If someone gives you a "disapprove" on your reputation, more than likely, it'll be because they feel like you insulted them, or another board member. It sucks to have to be SO pc, but if you can't try to get along, maybe you should find a place on the web that caters to people that feel more like you do about a subject, rather than ruffle everyone elses feathers.

I'm sure everyone would like to be liked, and some could care less what others think about them. If someone makes a good point, and another member wants to give them props, so be it. If someone is acting like a raving loon, just trying to get a rise out of people, someone will probably give them a negative response.

I don't think SS is gonna send you packin' if you aren't "on a distinguished road", but I do think other people will avoid posting in threads a person with a bad reputation starts or frequents.

***The preceding post is NOT directed at any one person on this board. It as meant to be taken as a general statement in response to a question***
    Shop at the SOFA-KING Big Sofa Store

Where the sofas are SOFA-KING big!

crap, quality, it's all someone's opinion. Again, this feature may or may not stay.
    "SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

One thing I do like about this feature is that you can see recent reputation comments about your posts. If someone likes your post but has nothing to add to the conversation, they can now express their opinion on your words via the Reputation system. Maybe that's just ego-stroking though.

If the comments could be shown publicly and there was no limit, this system would make a good forums Classifieds feedback.

BTW, is it my imagination, or is Steve's Yoda avatar looking angrier by the day?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm just happy I figured out how to log in again. It took a few tries to figure it out.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    BTW, is it my imagination, or is Steve's Yoda avatar looking angrier by the day?
    Not much gets to me anymore, but for some reason, Steve's Yoda has scared me from day one. No, really!

Bug / Error Message

This is the error I was talking about SirSteve.

Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_ELSE in /home/virtual/site1/fst/var/www/html/forums/includes/sessions.php on line 195

There seems to have been a slight problem with the SSG Forums database.
    Please try again by pressing the refresh button in your browser.

An E-Mail has been dispatched to our Technical Staff, who you can also contact if the problem persists.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
    THANKS FOR THE AT-TE & FALCON HASBRO. NOW IT'S TIME FOR A LARGE TANTIVE IV!