Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Were all the clones CGI?

Just wondering if there were any "real" clones in the movie (with armor on) or were they all computer generated?

ALL clones in the movie were CGI .

PENDO!
    "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

Man I was fooled.
    No matter how I die, even if there is a suicide note; it was murder. Cheers!
    MWHAHAHAHA!

Quote Originally Posted by scruffziller
    Man I was fooled.
    I'm glad someone was...

I must admit that seeing it for the first time I didn't realise they were all clones, but the 2nd+ times I've seen it I can spot it instantly .

PENDO!
    "There's a gentleness about a total Star Wars geek that is sublime."- Rick McCallum
    My DVD Collection

I've had the DVD for months but have yet to crack it open. But while channel surfing a couple nights ago, I decided to flip on AOTC for a couple minutes (HBO, I think). The arena battle was on. Man, it looked phenomenally HORRIBLE! Every effect popped right off the screen. The animated bits were extremely obvious and the layering wasn't convincing at all. I don't know if this is inherent to the television broadcast or if I just didn't notice it on the big screen. Even Digital Yoda looked worse than I recall from the theater.

After seeing that, hands down, the old fashioned way of doing fx from the OT beats the snot out of almost everything AOTC gave us. Either that, or the execution of the fx in AOTC was just "wrong." Strange. I'll have to finally watch the DVD to see how that version looks.

I'm sure GL will continue to tinker with the PT movies to fix issues like those, just like he did with the OT.

I still haven't bought AOTC on DVD yet. I was all over getting TPM when it came out and actually liked AOTC much better but still haven't bought it. Maybe Santa will be good to me this year.
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Thats Crazy...i'll Take The Looks Of The Pt Over The Feel Of The Ot Any Day!!

Quote Originally Posted by stillakid
    I've had the DVD for months but have yet to crack it open. But while channel surfing a couple nights ago, I decided to flip on AOTC for a couple minutes (HBO, I think). The arena battle was on. Man, it looked phenomenally HORRIBLE! Every effect popped right off the screen. The animated bits were extremely obvious and the layering wasn't convincing at all. I don't know if this is inherent to the television broadcast or if I just didn't notice it on the big screen. Even Digital Yoda looked worse than I recall from the theater.

After seeing that, hands down, the old fashioned way of doing fx from the OT beats the snot out of almost everything AOTC gave us. Either that, or the execution of the fx in AOTC was just "wrong." Strange. I'll have to finally watch the DVD to see how that version looks.
    I 100% agree with you! IMO ALL CGI looks cartoony, it doesn't blend in with the live action so sticks out like a sore thumb, the movement is too artificial, and is - well put simply... crap .

PENDO!
    My DVD Collection

I think most CGI looks cartoony, especially CGI in non-CG environments or CG of living things, but I think with Ep 1 and 2, part of the problem with watching on TV is that the CG lines & textures are really made for the cinema and not TV and have to be properly... um, "rematted" for TV I guess. CG textures and lines really don't hold up as well on the tube as on the silver screen.

Oh, and LFL made not one piece of Clonetrooper armor, it's all CGI. That's straight from the horse's mouth, it was confirmed on SW.com a while back.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I've always thought that all the cartoon characters in the PT looked awful. It is doubly worse because the settings are almost always cartoon backgrounds as well.
    It's a shame, because the clone troopers really had potential. What would have been so hard about making armor and outfitting actors so there could be real 3-dimensional troops?