Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

The Call of Cthulhu Discussion

For all things Lovecraft!

The only collection that I own and have read is the "The Dunwich Horror and Others" which contains most of his popular works. It's a great book and I spent many nights reading a story before going to sleep. I know this book is the last in a 3 book collection so I'm hoping to get first 2 in the near future.

My only other Lovecraft collectible is a partial set of Pint Glasses, each with a Lovecraft theme beer name on them. Arkham Pale Ale and Dunwich Dark are the that I can remember off the top of my head. Anyway, my old roommate has the complete set of all 3. Our original order for 2 sets was partially filled awaiting future deliveries. Never happened, as the company discontinued making them. Darn.

Oh, the 3rd Lovecraft beer was an Innsmouth Stout.

What other Lovecraft items and books do other have and recommend?
    "No one helped me so why should I help you?" - College professor circa 1999

By choosing not to decide you still have made a choice.

I'm in love with the women of Univision.

Items- none, really, other than a few miniatures... I should have bought a "Cthulu for president" sticker when I saw it, but that's the extent... them glasses sound really cool, man!!
    Books?? Well, I don't know how they're "collected" nowadays... when I first got into HPL, there was one book in the library, and I was the only person who ever took it out, couldn't buy any of his stuff anywhere....
    The best collections I can recommend... one called "blood curdling tales of horror and the macabre", it has all the essentials... my fave stories are "shadow out of time", "whisperer in darkness", "at the mountains of madness", "call of cthulu"(natch), "dream quest of unknown Kadath"....
    "the doom that came to Sarnath" is a good collection of older stuff, more like neo-mythology, lots of greek sounding legends and stuff....
    I gotta think a bit more about it, but thanks for starting this thread up man, I'll be back!!!
    PS wonder how many from the "metallica" thread will come here, LOTS of HPL references in their body of work...
    Something about him reminds me of my older brother, Rex.

The first time I had heard of any reference to Lovecraft was the Metallica song The Call of Ktulu. I don't know why it was spelled that way.

Exhaust Port,

Now you're talkin'! I could go on and on about how much I enjoy Lovecraft's works. But I'd just end up boring most people.

Anyway, here's a list of what I have:

All of Lovecraft's stories in cheapo paperback (but none of his "Letters From" series)
    Some of the "Cycle of..." Books that Chaosium puts out
    Other random books Chaosium puts out like Necronomicon (historical reference book), The King in Yellow (Chambers), etc.
    Encyclopia Cthulhiana -- a must for any Lovecraft fan
    A hardback biography of Lovecraft
    All the cards from the Mythos CCG
    The 20th Anniversary leather bound Call of Cthulhu role playing book
    CD's from The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets (I know Warren the guitar player)
    Old 1980's Call of Cthulhu metal miniatures (I picked up 17 of them for a song)
    Video of cheesy Lovecraft films including Lurker in the Lobby, The Innsmouth Look, and The Dunwich Horror (staring Dean Stockwell!)
    Cthulhu Plushes
    Star Spawn Plush
    Dagon DVD (A must see)
    A fan made Cthulhu Statuette
    The Miskatonic University college pack -- class listing, packing pass, notepad and such
    The Miskatonic University grad certificates -- Bachelors and Masters in Medieval Metaphysics

I'm impatiently waiting for:

The Arkham Horror boardgame
    Dark Corners of the Earth PC game

I'm sure I have other assorted Lovecraft random crap lying around elsewhere. I love his works, but don't take it to the extreme that some people do. I have no desire to make sacrifices on his grave at midnight. I don't dress in all black and only go out at night. Lovecraft just has a way of writing intriguing stores and using one's imagination to frighten themselves. He's not even very gory in his stories.

Anyway, for a good chuckle, I've attached a photo of my cat Dali looking evil next to my 2 Cthulhu plushes atop my computer desk.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The Evil of Dali.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	70.6 KB 
ID:	6209  
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

I've come across The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets a couple times online and have been intrigued by the album. I just always seem to never pick it up.

I haven't seen or even heard of the Encyclopedia Cthulhiana. Sounds interesting though, I'll have to look into it.

That picture of your cat is hysterical!

Thanks! My computer stand is a corner unit and has about 4 stacked shelves on it. She figured how to get all the way to the top, but couldn't figure out how to get down. I snapped that photo after refusing to carry her down since she got up there on her own. Eventually she knocked down the Cthulhus so I rescued her.

Her nickname is Dali, but it's short for Amidala. If I get another cat, I'm going to name him Lama...
    "Smeeeeee....Heeeeeee...." -- Kryten 4000

The "thickets" are awesome... first song I heeard was "shoggoths away" and I almost couldn't stand how right-on they cover the material, if you're an HPL fan you MUST check them out, they rock!!

ExP- the weird spelling was a Lovecraft thing- there's an essay I read that said he pronounced the name more like "pahulu" or some weird thing, and in some stories there are alternate spellings of some of the elder beings names, like ossadogua for tsathoggua and stuff like that, he just liked to give it a sort of "ancient fragments" feel, like the whole planet was in on it, but over millions of years(and a few intergalactic conflicts) the groups became isolated, and the names changed.... "The call of cthulu" is sort of about the whole "farflung cultures having weird similarities thanks to some unearthly common past" theme (popular theme, actually)
    So that is why the name was spelled funny, and prolly something to do with Chaosium's copyright... after Metallica saw what happened to TSR (the D+D company) for using the MYTHOS in their game, they figgered "close enough is good enough"
    Or I'm just full of SITH

Interesting. It would be great to hear him read his own stories to see how the names were intented to be said.

It's weird saying this, but the only reason I own the Lovecraft book I do is because I wanted to read the stories that inspired Metallica's Ktulu and Thing That Should Not Be songs. It didn't really help to understand Ktulu, being instrumental, but The Thing That Should Not Be makes a lot more sense after reading the Shadow Over Innsmouth. Cliff Burton was one smart man bringing those kind of "different" literary influences into their music.

Anyway, back to the man this subject is about. I've read some of the other stories in that collection I bought, and I'm glad Metallica showed me the way to Lovecraft's works.
    Back and more bearded than ever before

I KNEW they'd be here sooner or later!!
    Another band with a HPL reference, a BIG one, to their credit is Iron Maiden, on the cover of "live after death", Eddie's tombstone has the famous couplet inscribed on it, kinda fun.....
    Creeping Death (metallica) is also a reference I THINK... the whole "crawling chaos" thing...
    "The thing that should not be" is more a reference to the Cthulu mythos stories penned by Clark Ashton Smith, another cool writer if you like this sort of thing, check him out too if ya like...
    ExP- yeah, it would be REALLY cool to actually hear the man speak...I'm not sure if there is any recorded bits of him, as he wasn't very popular while he was alive , at all, mebbe someone here knows if such things exist... I was having a conversation with a buddy about HPL last night, and he recalled to me the fact that, while many tried to put weird significance to HPL's writings, the man himself thought his stories were actually pretty funny and kinda "over the top", at least in the narrative sense... it's also kinda funny to add that he (HPL) was a complete teetotaller, with no vices save writing nutty fiction, his death at such a young age was from, of all things, complications arising from cataract removal surgery, what a rip!!!!