Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My price might have been too high. I was basing it on $100 for a vintage DS sized playset, then multiplying by the 4 wedges.

The vintage set was only 21" high?? I remember it being 5 ft. tall.

How many scenes could you fit in that area without compromising the realism of the scene?

Docking Bay 327 (the big problem)
    DB327 control room (the red room)
    The Elevator Bank
    The Outer Detention area
    The Detention Block hallway
    Garbage Chute
    The Tractor Beam Controls
    The Rope Swing
    The Vader/Ben Duel
    The Blast Doors

Plus various hallways that Ben sneaks through or Han howls through.

Add to that the Throne room, which from the post above is a giant playset unto itself.

And finally, the nature of the design excludes 50% of the play space because it has to represent the "Outside" of the Death Star.

Just like an actual movie set, so much more could be done with independent playsets, so naturally there would some compromise within each "scene" for an all-in-one playset.

I haven't drawn plans up yet (but maybe soon!), but I'll try to give some written clues as to this hypothetical dream.

Docking Bay 327 (the big problem): This would be located on the lower portion of the complete "half." Like so many playsets before this, sadly because of size restrictions, the Falcon would have to be represented by a photo backdrop, but there really is no way to squeeze the Falcon Toy or the Shuttle Tyderium (sp?) into a hangar-type playset that isn't absolutely gargantuan. The good news is that the "room" could have blast doors off to one side for recreation of the duel. If Hasbro went all out, they could include a floor panel that slid out from the "half" to give more floor space to line up Stormtroopers on.

DB327 control room (the red room): Right above the Hangar space, in the mid-section of the "half."

The Elevator Bank: The central core of the entire playset, constructed in the same way as the vintage model. It integrates the elevator action as well as the tractor beam control walkway.

The Outer Detention area: Just above the Garbage Compactor.

The Detention Block hallway: In the next wedge over and on the same level as the Outer Detention Area.

Garbage Chute: In the wedge opposite and just above the one with the Compactor as part of the Outer Detention Area.

The Tractor Beam Controls: As above, integrated into the cental elevator column.

The Rope Swing: An abitrary placement of an extended bridge from one wedge to another or to the central column, ala vintage version.

The Vader/Ben Duel: Lower level of the "half," off to the side of the hangar bay area.

The Blast Doors: Integrated into hangar Bay.

Plus various hallways that Ben sneaks through or Han howls through: N/A

Add to that the Throne room, which from the post above is a giant playset unto itself: The entire upper level of all three pieces (one half, two wedges)

And finally, the nature of the design excludes 50% of the play space because it has to represent the "Outside" of the Death Star: Some of the "rooms" would need straight walls, so indeed some of that trapped curved space would be lost to outright play, however it could be utilized as storage and/or use breakaway panels for guntowers to pop out of or something.

I've been playing around with the vintage Death Star and trying to "connect" the playset pieces that we got a couple years ago with some success. It takes a little reconfiguration and some extra supports but I've managed to rig up the Detention Hallway so that the heroes can really fall into the bright orange compactor. The Rope Swing is a little tougher to integrate into the old design, but it can go just about anywhere so long as it gets supported so that it is on "level 2." I'm still trying to figure out the best way to remove the gun emplacement on the top level and replace it with the Emperor's throne. Doing all that stuff got me thinking about a well-designed playset like the one I'm suggesting. I think that it is possible and for a reasonable cost. But with the way Hasbro feels about releasing the Shuttle, I don't forsee any realistic hope of it ever happening from them. Looks like a custom job!

I was thinking insteads of a "slide out" docking bay floor, how about a "panel" that separates the two wedge quarters from the wedge half. When you open up the DS, the panel folds down to reveal a docking bay floor. Hinged on the edge of this is a "hangar bay entrance" that folds up and locks in between the two quarters. Two feet x Two feet might almost be big enough for a shuttle or a Falcon to stand in. just an idea.

It's lookin' good, though. I can sort of see it in my mind.

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
    I was thinking insteads of a "slide out" docking bay floor, how about a "panel" that separates the two wedge quarters from the wedge half. When you open up the DS, the panel folds down to reveal a docking bay floor. Hinged on the edge of this is a "hangar bay entrance" that folds up and locks in between the two quarters. Two feet x Two feet might almost be big enough for a shuttle or a Falcon to stand in. just an idea.

It's lookin' good, though. I can sort of see it in my mind.
    That's a good idea! There's probably a way to work in a flourescent "magnetic hangar bay" frame as well to complete the look.

Re: Modular Playset #6: Death Star II Throne Room

Hey! SithLord0498! Something like this?

Originally posted by Rollo Tomassi
    Section#1: The Elevator. Comes with an Exclusive Royal Guard. Real opening elevator doors and the small catwalk connecting to the main throne room. Has break away rails for the final conflict between Vader, Luke , and the Emperor. Retail $20.

Section #2: Generator Controls. The center section of the throne room with two generator control hubs. Connects the elevator section to the main staircase. Comes with an exclusive Imperial Dignitary. Retail $20.

Section #3: The Main Staircase. The opulent staircase and upper platform. Comes with the Emperor's threat board and a second exclusive Dignitary. Retail $20.

Section #4: The Imperial Throne. Connects to the main staircase. Comes with the Emperor's throne and the giant window behind him. Also comes with a Deluxe Soft Goods Emperor with knee articulation so he can stand or sit on his throne. Retail $20.

Section #5: Catwalks. Connect to either side of the throne room playset. Collapse after Vader "throws" his saber into the support struts. Retail $15.

Outside SSG, banging on the window furiously, yelling "LET ME IN!"
    I just got a vintage Y-Wing off of ebay and he threw in one of those old Micro Collection Death Star playsets. Those things are cool! They had an Echo base set ans a Cloud City set too If I remember. I bet if they retooled them up to 3 3/4 size they'd sell like hotcakes! If they tripled the size, it would end up being 18 x 15 x 6 for the Death Star Escape Action playset with a 3x3x18 elevator to go along with it. The Ion Cannon set would probabaly be a lot bigger but it would be cool.
    Who's a sexy kitty? Who is? Yes, you are. You're a SEXY kitty...

PHONE BOOK Written by Bendis. Art by Jim Lee. Total copies sold: 15 billion.

"Comic Collecting. Miss a decade, miss a lot."