Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Darkross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!
    Posts
    797

    Would the second DeathStar have exploded had the Emperor survived the fall?

    I don't think that the deathstar would have exploded, since the Emperor was in control of the situation and it wasn't until he was distracted by the confrontation between Vader and Luke that the Rebels were able to penetrate the sheild generator on Endor. As the battle progressed, more and more of the Emperor's attention was being drawn away from the rebellion succeeding in their attack on the deathstar. Then once the Emperor was killed did the fighters penetrate the deathstar core and destroy the power generator.
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

    "Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

  2. #2
    Ah, no. The "Force" shouldn't (and wasn't) used as a all-in-wonder magic "pill" that could solve any problem that anyone had. Suggesting that the Emperor could essentially use magic to stop anyone, anywhere, from doing anything goes a little far with the intended spirit of the concept. The Emperor didn't "use" the Force to put himself into office. Even he needed to manipulate the wheels of politics in the grand tradition of elected officials. He didn't "will" the Rebellion to arrive at Endor...he had to plant information the old fashioned way. He had no more control over the space battle (using the Force) than anyone in the audience did.

  3. #3
    Darkross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!
    Posts
    797
    Originally posted by stillakid
    Ah, no. The "Force" shouldn't (and wasn't) used as a all-in-wonder magic "pill" that could solve any problem that anyone had. Suggesting that the Emperor could essentially use magic to stop anyone, anywhere, from doing anything goes a little far with the intended spirit of the concept. The Emperor didn't "use" the Force to put himself into office. Even he needed to manipulate the wheels of politics in the grand tradition of elected officials. He didn't "will" the Rebellion to arrive at Endor...he had to plant information the old fashioned way. He had no more control over the space battle (using the Force) than anyone in the audience did.
    I'm not suggesting that the force is an "all in wonder pill". But if you think about it...Ben Kenobi (who was one with the Force) helped Luke destroy the DeathStar. Maybe it wasn't all Luke afterall...I mean you have to admit that Han and Chewie arriving at the last possible moment...was a little too convenient!
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

    "Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

  4. #4
    I agree with stillakid on this one to a point.Palpatine was not in controll of everything that was going on.The Death Star would have destroyed just the same.I still think the force itself was controlling the out come on the grand scale of the universe.Had to say it
    Bye to all.thanks for some good times.

  5. #5
    Originally posted by Darkross


    I'm not suggesting that the force is an "all in wonder pill". But if you think about it...Ben Kenobi (who was one with the Force) helped Luke destroy the DeathStar. Maybe it wasn't all Luke afterall...I mean you have to admit that Han and Chewie arriving at the last possible moment...was a little too convenient!
    I don't think that Obi Wan "helped" Luke beyond suggesting that he "let go." In the grand tradition of the hero triumphing and following with Lucas's theme of man vs machine (showing that the power of humanity will always outweigh technology), Luke put away the machines and finally took the leap of faith to trust in his own abilities. In fact, even though the Force was a part of the story, it has little to do with Luke's victory. It's his own strength and perserverence that wins out.

    Han and Chewy flying in from "out of the sun," well, yeah, that's Lucas taking some liberties, but that's just typical for his storytelling style anyway and has absolutely nothing to do with an internal story explanation for why the Falcon was there at that time. There are happy conveniences throughout the saga.

  6. #6
    Originally posted by Dryanta
    I still think the force itself was controlling the out come on the grand scale of the universe.Had to say it
    How so? What is the nature of "the Force?" Do you see it as a sentient being, or a "God" figure that keeps watch over all? I was under the impression that it was merely an energy field that people in this galaxy had somehow learned to tap into and manipulate. The idiotic introduction of Midichlorians into the mix adds a touch of "interference" into the paltry lives of those in the Universe (although humans in the Milky Way curiously don't have any), but since they are only parasites within an organism they shouldn't have much power to affect events outside their own sphere of influence. So if the Force is only unintelligent energy, and Midichlorians, while intelligent, are trapped within an organism, where is the Charlton Heston-like God that is controlling the fate of the Universe?

  7. #7
    There is no evidence that anyone with the force can do the things you are suggesting. Vader who is more with the force than anyone couldn’t stop Han and Chewy from blasting his wingmen in Star Wars.
    The final sequence in Jedi has a very sing songy effect. The rebels are overcoming the imperial forces at the same time Luke is overcoming the dark side. They coincide, but they are not action reaction related. The emperor did not count on the Ewoks and they played a major role in the Battle of Endor. Even as all powerful as the Emperor is his is still overconfident (as Luke says). He may think he sees all, but in reality he does not. The rebels would have won that day with or without Luke. That too is part of the story. See, ordinary men, women, wookies, and ewoks overcame the battle-hardened empire. They were out gunned and out numbered, but they still won. This is one trend that Lucas likes to put in his movies (the little guy can win too) Think of Willow, and Indy vs. all the Germans. The good guys are always out matched, but they always win.

    There is also no evidence that once you become “one with the force” you still have any influence over objects in the living world. Sure you can talk to people, and even have a human form, but that’s it. Never did Obi-Wan or Yoda really act upon an object. If you think Obi-Wan had any influence on Luke’s torpedoes going into the death star, then your imagination is very active. Luke is a good shot (“I used to bulls eye wamp rats in my T-16 back home. They’re not much bigger than two meters”). So, this is something that he had practiced at home. But, a more likely reason is because Luke used the force to get them in the tube, not Obi-Wan.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

  8. #8
    I agree with you stillakid.there is no way to rectify all of of these things because it's just a story with a lot of holes.Your point about trying figure out every little detail is correct it can't be done.Simple is best.There are alot of issues in the entire story that will really depend on our own personal outlooks on the real world as to how you would figure it all out.I think these discussions show us alot more about ourselves and others than it does about the story line.Just fun to try just the same.
    Bye to all.thanks for some good times.

  9. #9

    Starkid how do you know?

    How do you know that the humans in the Milky Way don’t have the force? Maybe you or I don’t have it, but someone could. It’s just a silly notion, but it’s possible. Sure even if someone did have it they may not even know. It would be no different than Anakin not knowing he had the force. And he had the most ever. So what if some kid had it somewhere and didn’t know it, would anyone really be able to tell one way or another. Just something to think about next time you see Vince Carter fly through the air.
    If you want to find it you have to shop.

  10. #10
    Darkross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    On the Bridge of my Super Star Destroyer... force-choking incompetent officers!
    Posts
    797
    Originally posted by icatch9
    If you think Obi-Wan had any influence on Luke’s torpedoes going into the death star, then your imagination is very active. Luke is a good shot (“I used to bulls eye wamp rats in my T-16 back home. They’re not much bigger than two meters”). So, this is something that he had practiced at home. But, a more likely reason is because Luke used the force to get them in the tube, not Obi-Wan.
    No I don't think that Obi-Wan helped Luke get the torpedoes in the Deathstar's exhaust port...I agree that Luke was a good shot. I just think that perhaps Obi-Wan's spirit or oneness with the force helped manipulate the situation...Vader missing Luke's ship and hitting R2D2 instead and how the Falcon arrived just in time. I don't know...these are just some things that I've always wondered about and I appreciate everyone's comments and views.
    "The darkside of the force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be...unnatural"

    "Join me... and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son"

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO