Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 15 of 15
  1. #11

    Re: Capes and Coats: Real vs. Repo

    Quote Originally Posted by vader121
    -Vinyl cape Jawas had a cross pattern on them (I think this is true, don't have one but have heard this). If yours doesn't have this then it is fake or possibly made from a Ben cape.
    Correct... the VCJ cape did have a criss-cross pattern on one side of the cape.....and it should be the same colour as the figure...

    However, the Australian 'Toltoys' VCJ had a reddish cape... but still totally different to the 'cut down' Ben capes that are generally used to fake them...

    Also the arm holes are very tight around the figure.

    The ERG cape is non-removable....unless you are able to get the head off the figure without breaking it....

    Capes that are not generally faked are ;

    ERG, Prune Face, Ugnaught & Klaatu..

    Capes that no known fakes exist are ;

    Luke Poncho, Leia Poncho, Han Trench & Lando General...

    You'll generally find plenty of the vinyl capes on Ebay.... but are generally listed as such..... however it doesn't stop the buyers trying to pass them off as originals....
    TK6540 of the UK Garrison

  2. #12

    Re: Capes and Coats: Real vs. Repo

    Quote Originally Posted by JON9000
    I don't think you should be so worried, for three reasons:

    1. Cloth is harder to fake. Once you have the materials, you can practically mass produce vinyl capes. Repro cloth capes require cloth with proper texture, color, and thickness. If you have a legitimate example to compare, it would be extremely hard to duplicate. You then have to actually sew rather than run it through a press.
    I agree with you that cloth is harder to fake. But just because something is harder does mean people won't try. I think finding the right cloth for most capes might be easier than you think. Let's just say I paranoid about it because I've been burned so many times by fake accessories before.


    Quote Originally Posted by JON9000
    2. The return on investment is less with cloth than vinyl. Vinyl caped figures complete with weapons tend to sell for more than complete cloth caped figures. The only cloth figure that it would really make sense to go through the trouble for is snap cape Luke Jedi, and in that case you would have to duplicate the snap as well!
    I just don't buy that argument. The real money in repro weapons is in lightsabers and POTF accessories. Yet people make fake stormtrooper blaster, bowcasters, Han's blaster and other all the time.


    Quote Originally Posted by JON9000
    3. cloth capes are considerably more durable than vinyl, hence you are more likely just by sheer odds to have a legitimate cape than were it vinyl
    I don't see your point here. Cloth capes and coats come off just as easily as (if not more than) vinyl ones. Hence they're just as easy to lose. I don't see what durability and odds have to do this it.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

  3. #13

    Re: Capes and Coats: Real vs. Repo

    Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam
    Now we have spend a lot of time discussing how to tell original weapons and accessories from the repos, but how about the clothing. Capes, cloaks, coats, belts, helms, ect. So do you guys have any tips, tricks, or other advice on how to tell the difference.

    What I'm doing now is comparing items to ones known be original (i.e. to the figures I had as a kid and personal removed from the card). If the two have enough similarities then the item in question is real. But in case where I don't have anything to compare to I just have to hope for the best. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Here you go: CLICK

  4. #14

    Re: Capes and Coats: Real vs. Repo

    Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam
    I don't see your point here. Cloth capes and coats come off just as easily as (if not more than) vinyl ones. Hence they're just as easy to lose. I don't see what durability and odds have to do this it.
    Cloth capes are easy to lose, no doubt about it. I think what I am getting at is that since cloth capes are more durable, someone would not simply throw them away. When I was a kid, almost all my vinyl capes eventually ripped from the pit to the end and would no longer stay on the figure. I would try to tape them, but it just didn't work so eventually I tossed them.

    Any way, I think the main point is that cloth capes are probably harder to produce on a massive scale, so you are less likely to run into one. but it is also true that if someone really wants to spend hours to make a perfect looking cloth repro, they could probably do it.

    I didn't mention this before, but it looks to me as though most of this crap comes out of the UK. I never buy from the UK, it just sorta makes me feel better! Getting a repro is a risk, and the best we can do is reduce the risk, sadly.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

  5. #15

    Re: Capes and Coats: Real vs. Repo

    Quote Originally Posted by JON9000
    I didn't mention this before, but it looks to me as though most of this crap comes out of the UK. I never buy from the UK, it just sorta makes me feel better! Getting a repro is a risk, and the best we can do is reduce the risk, sadly.
    I'll have to agree & also disagree with that statement..

    It does seem alot of fakes come from here the UK, but 90% of that is carded figures .... not reproduction weapons, capes etc etc...

    Repro weapons are a factor..... but they didn't originate from the UK....
    The ONLY repro weapons to come from the UK are the DT sabers.....which are easy to tell apart from originals...

    The repro weapons that are sold from the UK, are either by dishonest sellers or 'untrained' people that got stung with repros themselves.......

    I have noticed that Brian's Toys and a few other top US dealers sell alot of repro weapons ... so 'they' are therefore damaging the hobby by putting more of these things into the market..

    Rant over........
    TK6540 of the UK Garrison

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO