Weekly Review: Greedo

You may have notice that I didn't have a new item for discussion last week. I apologize for this, but I was just too busy last week to even think about write a post bigger than two lines. But this week I'm back and we're back to figures.

This week's figure is Greedo, Jabba the Hutt's hapless henchmen who thinks he has the drop on Solo. First available for the holiday season of 1978 in the Cantina Adventure Set, Greedo made his first appearance as a carded figure in 1979 on a 20 back card. There are no major variations to the figure. Greedo can be found on most major card back type, 20 and higher, but was not released on a POTF card.

A couple of months ago we had a thread about the 1979 figures in which I expressed my negative opinion about them. In general I think Kenner dropped the ball. Greedo's head is great. Maybe a little too big, but dead on for Greedo. The arms a little pre-posed, but not to bad. He a point his gun and rest he arms on the table in a natural looking way, which is good. The rest is terrible. The ugly green jump suit, green space boots, yuck. Did the designers even look at the photo? I think not.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Re: Weekly Review: Greedo

I liked this figure because of a few features:
    -good sculpt of the head
    -loved the gun hand made the gun fit in tightly
    -didn't mind the green boots

Some things I don't like:
    -body is lame and generic
    -some of the paint jobs of the face are horrible. Very common to find cross-eyed Greedos or eye that are offset from each other.

All in all a decent figure. Not one of the best but decent.

Mine Is Still Holding His Origanal Gun After A Few Years Of Play And Many Years Of Storage.
    YOU CAN NEVER HAVE ENOUGH STORMTROOPERS

I started the 13-20 thread, and I said I really love the colors. I stand by that. It is true that many of the figures, including Greedo, are less accurate than the first bunch, but when you look at the earliest one, most of them were very drab looking- lots of black, grey, brown and white. Then you have these guys which really pop!

I think the idea was to make them stand out a little more, and the lime green, teal, bright orange, silver, and whatnot do the job nicely. I really like Greedo. He had a great head sculpt and cool hands. I got him at the same yard sale I got the Death Star at!!
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

Don't know if anyone else's was like this, but my Greedo figure had one leg shorter than the other.

Greedo is the oldest SW item I still own that I originally received (I lost my cloth cape Jawa eons ago). I loved his gun hand, his cool head, and I actually liked his boots. I never even noticed the lack of the vest. My Greedo got a peg from a playset stuck in his boot, so he never stood up correctly after that, but since his limbs were (are) so loose, he never stood up well at all (just like with Han! ).
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by tagmac
    Don't know if anyone else's was like this, but my Greedo figure had one leg shorter than the other.
    Greedo is not one of them, but I have a lot of figures with one leg shorter than the other. And the weird thing is all of them are ones I bought off eBay.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

It just dawned on me how good the head is for a figure from this era. The figure overall looks pretty darn good, just not accurate. In fact, non of the cantina aliens is dressed in their right outfits really.

Sy Snootles lip synchs