Hybrid View

Capes and Coats: Real vs. Repo

Now we have spend a lot of time discussing how to tell original weapons and accessories from the repos, but how about the clothing. Capes, cloaks, coats, belts, helms, ect. So do you guys have any tips, tricks, or other advice on how to tell the difference.

What I'm doing now is comparing items to ones known be original (i.e. to the figures I had as a kid and personal removed from the card). If the two have enough similarities then the item in question is real. But in case where I don't have anything to compare to I just have to hope for the best. Any help would be much appreciated.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"
    Mace Windu - Episode 2.5: Sith on a Plane

Nobody has anything on this? Well thanks any way.
    "I'm sick and tried of these motherfrakkking Sith on this motherfrakkker plane!"

I think at this point, technology is so advanced that telling the difference is getting harder. I know I will never get a Vinyl Cape Jawa, because the fakes are too frequent. Bespin Leia's is probably the easiest to spot, since it has a pattern. The rest are just plastic in a certain shape. Sorry, LS, can't help you too much.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I used to wonder if the skirt on my Snowtrooper was a repo. But, since it looked so authentic, I accepted it as is.

Re: Capes and Coats: Real vs. Repo

I have been having a tough time with this plastic cape issue lately, and have done a little research, so I thought I would post the results.

condition The reality is that cloaks were easily torn, and the more pristine a cape is, the more likely it is to be a fake. I would be especially wary of great looking capes on figures that are less than mint. A completely clean cape that isn't torn (getting them on and off without tearing is not something I would try) is more likely to be a repro.

The "crease" I have never seen a caped figure that did not have the top of the collar folded back when it was in the package. All capes, even if straightened or in collar up position, should retain some indication (slight indentations) that it was once in that folded position.

get a magnifying glass. The inside of the cape should have a slight texture, while the outside should be slick and shiny.

look at the cut Repros are notorious for having the holes off center.

ask about the history you can feel more certain if you simply ask sellers to be honest. The best question to ask is: "Has this item had any owner other than you, and are any of the parts repro?" The reality is, most folks will be honest, or tell you that they cannot be sure. Of course the best seller is someone who is selling a childhood collection, and took great care of the figures.

what else is included? The more that is included, the better I feel. Is the card included? The weapon?

Look at the sellers other items! This can really help. If the seller describes another item as having repros included, you can assume he is honest.
    Last edited by JON9000; 04-20-2005 at 09:02 PM.
    Peeps who have hooked me up: General Grievous Dark Marble jjreason Ramy GrandMoffLouie Josephe vader121 Val Da Car

I'll add a couple of thing about vinyl capes as well. Both of this go under "Condition."

First is something JON9000 hinted at, if the cape is by itself there should be some kind of stretch marks around the arm holes. It next to impossible to remove a vinyl cape without stretching it.

Second, real capes fit the figure nicely. That is a real capes have been on a figure for some time and the vinyl should have formed to the figure. Even if this been loose for a while and/or folded funny it will fit better than a newly made cape. Repro capes lie flat very well, but don't fit the figure the same.

Quote Originally Posted by LusiferSam
    Now we have spend a lot of time discussing how to tell original weapons and accessories from the repos, but how about the clothing. Capes, cloaks, coats, belts, helms, ect. So do you guys have any tips, tricks, or other advice on how to tell the difference.

What I'm doing now is comparing items to ones known be original (i.e. to the figures I had as a kid and personal removed from the card). If the two have enough similarities then the item in question is real. But in case where I don't have anything to compare to I just have to hope for the best. Any help would be much appreciated.
    Here you go: CLICK