Hybrid View

capitalist piggy question

will the market prices for this stuff go up in the holiday season?

with the approach of the new film release?

after the new film release?

thank you

i have 75+ old figures to give to good homes

Quote Originally Posted by dbri

thank you

Market prices tend to go up with hard to find merchandise. Right now with distribution problems and stores not ordering, people are paying more onthe secondary market just to have the merchandise. Prior to AOTC, there were a ton of pre sell auctions on Ebay that were high in price. Why anyone would buy a presell when they could get them at midnight at Wal-Mart for regular price is beyond me.

And if you are giving 75 figures to a good home, look no further than this persons home. They will have loads of other figures to play with and hang with. I will tuck them in at night and keep them away from my dog so he cant chew them up. References can be furnished as well.
    thanks Chux Turbo LBC Bobafrett Mtriv73 Rjarvis JF96 JT JMG FB Rogue2 Tycho Slicker Deoxy Caesar JontheJedi JJReason Brandon Solo JMS UK for great deals.
    SSG Pro Football Pick em and Bowl Pick em Champ 2006. 2007 NCAA Bracket Champ
    #24 - Gone but not forgotten

oops

i meant to say, sell at exhorbitant prices to a good home

It depends on what you're selling. In the vintage days, people didn't collect figures to keep them in their packages to display, as is common now. Packaged vintage figures are fairly rare, and packaged vintage figures where the packaging is in excellent condition even moreso. Loose figures are plentiful, even in good condition, and are unlikely to go up significantly in value. A significant percentage of collectors today keep their figures MOMC, and I do not expect that there will ever be any shortage of figures from the modern lines. Therefore, I do not expect there to be a significant spike upwards in pricing.

Also, as each of the vintage figures and ships has been re-released in modern lines, their vintage counterparts have declined dramatically in value. This is especially true of modern ships, which continue to use the old molds.

Right now, as a buyer, it is a terrific market, and I expect this will be the case for a while. After the final movie comes out, interest will likely die down again, and I believe the vintage market will continue to hold its value, but I do not believe the same is true for modern lines.

The bottom line though? Don't collect for profit, because there are many investments out there that are much more certain and will realize a much higher return. Plus, all you are doing is taking that figure out of the hands of someone who will really appreciate it!

*note: edited for spelling*
    Last edited by Trip J; 07-23-2003 at 07:56 AM.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

no

no

no

thank you
    You're welcome

i meant to say, sell at exhorbitant prices to a good home
    Are they still mint on mint cards? Because that's the only way to get more than about $5.00-$10.00 each. I don't care what the "book value" is on any of them, collectors know one simple truth, a thing is only worth what the buyer is willing to pay for it.

The fact is, that most figures saw multiple re-re-releases. Darth Vader was released on several different cards over the course of 7 years. Every time a new movie came out Kenner would pull all the old product and stick 'em on new cards for the current movie. So, you can see how a loose Vintage Darth Vader, which was one of the first figures made, would only be worth a few dollars, even in great condition.

As with any collectors market, it's the low production number figures that command more money. In vintage Star Wars terms, that translates to the "Last 17" these are the figures that saw release only in the original Power of the Force line, Han Solo in Carbonite, Luke Skywalker in Stormtrooper disguise, Amanaman, Yak Face, etc.

There were 96+ (debatable) figures released in the original vintage line. Your statement about having 75+ figures, leads me to believe that you do not have any of the "Last 17", though I could be wrong.

As far as the modern line, again I say, the "value" in the secondary market is determined by production numbers, and again, they must be MOMC to command higher prices. A good example of this from the modern line would be the Collection 3 Freeze Frame figures, especially, Weequay, Sandtrooper and Boba Fett, which ironicly I found on regular green cards for $2.00-$3.00 each, yet were only put on a small number of Freeze Frame cards. Many consider these to be "variations" and not true individual figures, the bottom line is that these were re-packs and it's really just the 35mm slide and the package that raises the cost in the secondary market.

There is also a phemomenon I call the "Yoda principle". This one stems from patients or lack there of, "I cannot teach him, the boy has no patients". This happens when new figures first hit the market and they are still somewhat hard to find. This applies to almost every figure. Eventually 99% of all these figures come down to reasonable prices ($5.00). There are however a few exceptions. I point to the final waves of the Episode I line, Queen Amidal (Battle), Darth Sidious Holographic, Pit Droids, etc.

Continuing with the "Yoda principle" If you had gotten a few cases of the SAGA figures before the official release date (AKA the "Street date") you could have made a small fortune on Ebay. Though, you would have had to get them a few weeks in advance to make up for shipping time, etc. Although, Hasbro (and LFL) may have noticed and taken action. I heard that they threatened to cut off sales to anyone who did this.

Looking back at all the peg warmers from the initial release, stores would have been smarter to sell early and take the Hasbro ban. Hasbro would have lifted it by now and the store would be in better shape for it. hehehe

Bottom line...

Noone can predict the market and like Trip j said...

Don't collect for profit, because there are many investments out there that are much more certain and will realie a much higher return. Plus, all you are doing is taking that figure out of the hands of someone who will really appreciate it!
    May the force be with you.

You may get more $ if you sell your collection off in chunks rather than as a whole. The latter is like buying in bulk - it's generally cheaper per unit. Doing this however may mean more time and effort for you.

Demand for SW picks up around new movie releases. However, more attention will be towards figs from the new movie, not the OT unless it's a new re sculpt like the SAGA line. Whatever the case, this is the better time for you than now.

Christmas season is good if you can market these as great Christmas gifts.

Ebay seems to have the largest market. I'd sell them in sets of five perhaps making sure one of those five is a HTF fig. They'll pay what they want for it and a little extra because they're getting a little extra.
    You can even make a little extra on your S/H. which you'll do 15 times (5 x 15 = 75)